Repost of "Bad Days"

Subconscious use cue extinguishment

Repost of "Bad Days"

Joel

02 May 2000, 06:17 #1

Originally written for Penny when she had said she had just gotten through bad day. But it applies to anyone who posts that they have had a bad day.

Dear Penny,

I think it is important for everyone to know that as life goes on, people have bad days. Smokers have bad days, ex-smokers have bad days, people who never smoked a cigarette in their life have bad days. If the bad day is happening the week you quit smoking, blame it on quitting smoking. It is probably the reason. But as time marches on, you need to be a little more discriminating. For later in a quit, not smoking may be playing only a minor role, and possibly not any at all. What you said today was of pivotal importance though, even during your bad day yesterday, you didn't smoke, hey in your case, you didn't even consider smoking.

People in the early days of a quit sometimes hear long term ex-smokers say how it is now easy, how everything is going great. They often think to themselves, "well if it were going like that for me, sure I could stay off, but I am different now, it's still hard." They sometimes can't relate to ex-smokers. By acknowledging your bad day, or more accurately, an emotionally off day for one reason or another, and being able to awake the next day still smoke free with a new perspective on things gives a valuable lessons to new people here. Sure there are some tough times, but they pass and at the end of the day, you can still be smoke free. That is why I didn't call yesterday a bad day for you Penny, you made it through a touch day without a cigarette. You are still smoke free. In the greater scheme of things, it was a good day.

Watch people on the board who are off for months and have a relapse. Listen to their words and here you will see a bad day. Followed sometimes by an immediate quit which means a bad week. Sometimes though, some don't come back and you can probably accurately predict they are smoking again. They are having bad weeks, months and years. In America, with over 400,000 people dying annually every year from smoking, this translates to over 1,000 people dying prematurely every day. They then had a bad day. There surviving family and friends are also then having a bad day. Some go on having lives a little worse off every day because of the loss of their significant other. Smoking leads to this kind of chain reaction of bad days.

Summing up, it's OKto share tough times, but balance the message, with how you feel by the end of the day that you are still smoke free. It will reinforce your resolve, it will reinforce everyone who reads it too. To stay free from nicotine, be honest and never take another puff!

Joel

Darcy

02 May 2000, 20:18 #2

Joel,

It wasn't Penny that had the awful day yesterday, it was me.(Darcy)

But thank you for the response, It was all good advice, and your right, it was still a good day because I didn't smoke. And I woke up this morning feeling good and recharged and ready to go! Thanks again Joel, your words are ALWAYS helpful.

Hugs,

Darcy

Edited to add in following video discussing concepts covered in this string:

Last edited by Darcy on 13 Aug 2012, 22:05, edited 1 time in total.

Penny

02 May 2000, 21:44 #3

((Joel)), I remember that post SO well. It helped me tremendously then. I hope it helped you Darcy. I always felt so special when Joel would respond to one of my posts!! : )

Penny

I have been Quit for: 5M 1D 10h 22m 41s. I have NOT smoked 5405, for a savings of $1,078.86. Life Saved: 2W 4D 18h 25m.

Gigi

08 Jul 2000, 12:41 #4

Joel, that is a very special letter, and twice that I've needed to see it again! I probably should put it into my documents, but I think it means even more when it is posted by someone who cares, just when the ex-smoker needs that caring the most! Thank you again, my friend!

Jan

Joel

08 Jul 2000, 19:16 #5

Your very welcome Jan. I'm glad it helps to keep things in perspective. Life goes on without smoking and keeping perspective is crucial. It may not be perfect as an ex-smoker but it is a whole lot better than life as a smoker considering all the detrimental effects that goes with smoking. Smoking attacks you at so many levels, physically, economically, socially, mentally, in fact, it hardly leaves any aspect of your life unscathed. Keep remembering you are fighting for your health and your life. Again, if anything we can do to help don't hesitate to get in touch.

Joel

winever

23 Nov 2000, 21:04 #6

Dear Joel, thank you for such wise words. You are so right I did have a good day yesterday as I didn't smoke. When you look at things in a more positive way you feel so much better and feel like you are accomplishing what you set out to do. Now, when I have another day like yesterday it will be a good day because it means I am winning against the addiction of nicotine. I am amazed how you can turn my pessimistic thoughts into such optimistic ones. Thanks again Winever

Sheila

30 Nov 2000, 23:11 #7

Thanks for this one Joel, I am famous for blaming everything on the fact that I quit smoking. If it's raining today...it's because I'm quitting smoking...if I get a bill in the mail...it's because I'm quitting smoking...if my daycare kids are monsters...it's because I'm quitting smoking, etc. etc. etc.And you are so right, sometimes a "bad day" or a bad moment or week or whatever, is just that and it has nothing to do with quitting smoking. One thing I know for sure is that smoking certainly wouldn't make it a better day!!!

Sheila
6 "bad" days, 4 "not so great" hours and 6 "really terrific" minutes Image

JimD (Green)

04 Jan 2001, 22:49 #8

Thanks for reposting this one Joel...I know it hits home for me...sometimes we (I) tend to forget that non-smokers (people who have never smoked) have bad days too...and...every bad day can't be blamed on my quit!!! In fact as you said, every quit day is in essence a good day...And i now have a choice...to not smoke on my bad days...which in a way, makes them great days, afterall...now that's positive!!!!Image

Jim D.

Joel

20 Jan 2001, 20:22 #9

For Riptide:
Riptide, I know that when I bring this up for most people they really only experienced bad moments and called them bad days, but from your description yesterday you had experienced what sounds to really be a bad day. Why this happened now I am not sure. It may have been purely emotional, going into the notmal depression stage (I will bring up the letter on "Depression Accompanying Smoking Cessation") and feeling generally anxiety about never smoking again. First, don't worry about never smoking again, you still need to set your sights on just quitting a day at a time. That is not just for you, that is how everyone needs to do it. I will bring up that post again too.
Also, because it is so close to when your physical withdrawal should have ceased I want to make sure that you are off all nicotine products, see the following letter as to why I had to ask that (http://whyquit.com/joel/Joel_03_08_NRT_II.html) and, some medications can actually extend the withdrawal a few days by slowing the excretion rate of nicotine. Some of todays current ulcer medications and antacids have that potential, although 6 days is really out of that range too.
There may have just been an inordinate number of triggers all hitting simaltaneously yesterday. I am going to attach a post at the end here that talks specifically about psychological triggers causing such a day as you described.
If this is from psychological reactions, or, in the unlikelihood that it is from another medication prolongiing the physical withdrawal, either way, it will pass as long as you keep your focus strong of why you quit, and get a little more time and experience under your belt. I must also point out that as bad as your description of yesterday was, if you compare notes to a person on chemotherapy, fighting for his of her life and not sure if even these drastic measures are going to save it, or a person who is on supplemental oxygen to breath every day for the rest of his or her life, basically a pulmonary cripple for all practical purposes, you will recognize that as bad as your day was, their days are worse. Your WILL get better, their's may not and in the case of the emphysematous patient, will not. You are investing time, effort and pain but it is too further your goal of not smoking.
That goal, in the long run can overt such a painful and sad fate as these poor victims of the nicotine addiction ravages are facing. When you wake up the day after the last bad day, every day after that will be better than if you had continued to smoke. So try to keep things in perspective, this is a fight for your health and your life and worth all the effort that you are putting into it. To make this effort all payoff always remember that no matter what, never take another puff!
Joel
Joel's Reinforcement Library

"You said it would get better. It's just
as bad as the day I quit smoking!"

Recently I was met with this warm greeting from a clinic participant on his 8th day without smoking. As you may recall, we explain during the clinic that if a smoker can get through the first three days without smoking, the physiological withdrawal will start to diminish, and within two weeks all physiological withdrawal will stop.

While we can accurately predict the physiological withdrawal, psychological withdrawals can occur at anytime. It is possible that the urge this man was having was just as painful as the ones he had a week earlier. While the urge may have been as strong, it was different. When he had an urge before, there was really nothing he could do to get over it. If he just held out a few minutes, the urge would pass. But psychological urges are more under the ex-smoker's conscious control. A good analogy demonstrating the difference between physiological and psychological pain can be seen by analyzing a common toothache.

A rotting tooth can cause a lot of pain. If your dentist explains to you why the tooth hurts it really doesn't resolve the situation. You know why it hurts, but it still hurts. Simply understanding physical pain does not make the pain go away.

To illustrate another point, say you go to the dentist and find out that you have a cavity. He has to drill the tooth and put in a filling. The drilling can be a very rough experience. After it is all over the pain will stop, but whenever you hear the sound of a dentist's drill, even if it's years later, you cringe at the thought of the pain. Once you realize that you are simply reacting to the sound, you know that you are not really in danger and the reaction will end. Understanding the root of the fear alleviates the anxiety and the associated pain.

Any urges for cigarettes that occur today are reactions to conditioned triggers. You are doing or experiencing something for the first time without smoking. It may be going to a bar, a wedding or going on a plane. It may be seeing a person or being in a place where you always had a cigarette in the past. It may be something you hear or even an old familiar aroma. The sense of smell is a powerful mechanism for triggering old emotional feelings.

So today, if you find yourself desiring a cigarette, look around you and see why at this particular time and place a cigarette is on your mind. Once you understand that the desire is being triggered by some reaction to an insignificant event, you can just say "no" to the cigarette without further problem. All you need to do is understand what triggered the thought. The urge will pass. The next time you encounter a similar situation you will not even think of a cigarette. You will have learned how to face another experience as a ex-smoker.

Quitting smoking is a learning experience. Every time you overcome an urge you will have overcome another obstacle that threatened your status as an ex-smoker. As time goes by, you will run out of obstacles and you can comfortably go through life a happier and healthier person. All you need to remember and practice to stay an ex-smoker is - NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF.
Last edited by Joel on 12 Apr 2009, 05:02, edited 1 time in total.

Joel

12 Feb 2001, 22:34 #10

For Patticake:
You had a bad experience during a day, not a bad day though. You got through it without smoking and have learned the lesson of being prepared for the unexpected. Triggers can come at anytime and your surrounding environment may be of no help to you at the moment they occur. That is why it is so important that you are mentally prepared to always be ready to help yourself. Make a list of all the reasons you quit and the reasopns you want to stay off. Make it during a clear sane moment, it is hard to make when in the midst of a mental smoking battle. Carry that list where you used to carry your cigarettes and when the situation occurs again, pull it out and read it. When you are done, if you still think you want "a cigarette", pull out a copy of "The Smokers Vow" attached below and read it through and absorb its meaning and really ask yourself do you want to be a full-fledged smoker for the rest of your life until it cripples then kills you. I am willing to bet if you really go through these two practices you will survive the evening without having to leave or feel that shaken. You may leave for health reasons because you realize that your lungs are under assault and you don't esthetically like being deluged by smoke, but you won't have to leave because you are feeling tempted or mentally threatened. It is a matter of keeping up your motivation and resolve and what better to do this than your own reasons for quitting.
Anyway, here is the smokers vow. Wish you luck.
Joel
Joel's Reinforcement Library

[/size]

[/size]

[/size]
The Smoker's Vow

To be said just before taking your first puff after
having quit for any appreciable period of time
[/size]

[/size]
With this puff I enslave myself
to a lifetime of addiction.
While I can't promise to always love you,
I do promise to obey every craving and
support my addiction to you
no matter how expensive you become.
[/size]
I will let no husband or wife,
no family member or friend,
no doctor or any other health professional,
no employer or government policy,
no burns or no stench,
no cough or raspy voice,
no cancer or emphysema,
no heart attack or stroke,
no threat of loss of life or limbs,
come between us.
[/size]
I will smoke you forever
from this day forth,
for better or worse,
whether richer or poorer,
in sickness and in health,
till death do us part!
[/size]
"You may now light the cigarette."

"I now pronounce you a full-fledged smoker."
[/size]

[/size]

[/size]
Postscript: While 1 in 2 marriages end in divorce, the addiction to smoking will last a lifetime-albeit a shorter lifetime. Once a smoker, annulment of the addiction is impossible. One puff can result in a permanent relapse. Don't take the chance of relapsing to this marriage of inconvenience.[/size]

[/size]
NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF![/size]

[/size]
Last edited by Joel on 20 Mar 2009, 04:35, edited 1 time in total.