Repost of "Bad Days"

Subconscious use cue extinguishment
misledfairy

11 May 2002, 20:15 #21

"balance the message, by how you feel at the end of the day,that you are still smoke free" ( last paragraph) With my hand on my heart I can honestly say that I am sooo relieved, that is the closest I have been to relapsing and I would not have been able to look at myself today if I had relapsed, and the thought of all that effort away up in smoke (literally) Thank goodness I came here first, I keep saying this but the people here are second to none....they carried me through my worst time. Image

Love naymor xxxx
5 weeks 3 days 15 hours 12 mins

DubiouslyDos

13 Jul 2002, 00:37 #22

It's good to know that difficulties are part of life....of course we all do know that....somehow we get confused in our addiction and think that smoking solves that???? Or it makes us immune???? Call me k-ra-zy....but isn't it more like, our problems may still be there...our priorities...as junkies...are somewhere else????

Dubiously Dos
Green with Bronze Ambitions....hee hee

Joel

28 Jul 2002, 19:20 #23

Image For David:

While the title here refers to "Bad Days," it really is talking about some days do have bad moments. As more time passes, these moments become much rarer, eventually days, weeks, and then even months can pass without any thoughts for cigarettes at all. But again, every now and them thoughts and moments will be triggered. These thoughts too will pass into oblivion and your quit will stay secure and strong as long as you always remember to never take another puff!

Joel

David Gold

28 Jul 2002, 19:39 #24

Thanks Joel,
Every time I get a crave I tell myself that this is just another smoking memory that is being replaced with a non smoking one and I've only got a few million more to go. My point is that I am prepared to fight this for the rest of my life. I know that as time goes on I won't have to fight as much as I did when I first quit.
Thanks,
David
Free for 1 month and 1 day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by David Gold on 12 Apr 2009, 05:06, edited 1 time in total.

Joel

18 Oct 2002, 07:12 #25

Image For anyone experiencing a bad day--even if it is only 8:30 am where you are at.

Today will end up a better day than it would have been if you don't break your promise to yourself to never take another puff!

Joel

One side note here. I did a seminar last night with six people in it. One was a woman who once had a five year quit going. That quit ended in 1971. She had one other three year quit a few years later. All in all the first puff she took that caused the relapse in 1971 has translated to over a quarter century of smoking. I think she was at a pack and a half a day although I am not sure of that number. If the number of cigarettes per day was 30 a day though, she has smoked over 273,000 cigarettes because of that puff. In retorspect that day was a bad day indeed.

latina36 (double green)

31 Oct 2002, 23:17 #26

Last night I got into a huge argument, so it was a bad nightImage.....I did not smokeImage........last night I was furiousImage...I did not smokeImage......last night I was hurtImage......I did not smokeImage..........HURRAY!!!!! for me I did not smoke!!!Image That in itself is amazing for meImage.................thank you freedom for being here for meImageImageImage
I have chosen not to smoke for 1 week 3 days 12 hours, I have saved 92.06 and I havenot smoked 368 sickerettes.

OBob Gold

27 Nov 2002, 05:14 #27

2 perspectives.

There is no situation. No matter how horrific, stressful or painful, that cannot be made worse by returning to smoking.

No matter how bad today was.... no matter who stomped on me, ticked me off, hurt my feelings or trashed my life..... at the very least, I didn't smoke.

Joel

27 Nov 2002, 20:01 #28

Did you ever notice how we can do days, weeks or sometimes months without a single person feeling the need to post an SOS or a 911 or a totally miserable day and then all of a sudden, we see one after another all at the same time? Well yesterday seemed to be one of those days where negativity just seemed to be abound.

For all of our newer members, go look at posts from two day ago, and last week and last month and see how many look like yesterday did. It is important that you realize what you were witnessing here then was not the norm. Don't walk away with the idea that longer term quitters are not in constant withdrawals and also know that most are not in constant internal battles with chronic thoughts either. What you were witnessing was a few people having a bad day.

Over the years I have done two types of Stop Smoking Clinics. The first is community based, and the other is corporate based. In the community based programs, we would normally get anywhere from 10 to 60 people. While a few may know each other before hand, most are strangers when first meeting at the clinic.

In the corporate based programs many people come in already knowing each other, or, meeting co-workers who they may never have talked to before and then seeing these people throughout the day during the clinic and then for as long as both parties stay in employment of the company.

There is a real danger in the corporate setting of two phenomena's occurring. First, the buddy system that we talk often about here at Freedom--where if one buddy fails the other follow suits, because the two people start to feel contingent on one another. Sometimes this is even a bigger problem when the whole group is a big buddy system, and then numerous people could be lost all in one swoop.

The other phenomena though that can be a real danger in such systems is where one or two people are having a bad day, possibly having nothing to do with quitting smoking, and then start to spread the word of negative feelings that they are now experiencing some horrible effect from quitting smoking. Then as soon as something goes awry in another person from the group's day, again, likely having nothing to do with quitting smoking, and the person starts to feel angered or upset by the external situation, he or she now thinks too that his or her feelings are some quit smoking effect. Pretty soon the whole group is scared and their quits are now in jeopardy. This can happen in community groups too, but usually on a smaller scale for groups rarely form long lasting bonds and have regular contact with each other.

It is crucial that everyone who reads here understand that throughout their lives they are going to have bad days. This is not because they are ex-smokers, it is because they are human beings. It is even broader than that, it is because they are living organisms. Our environments will effect our moods. Be it weather problems, stresses with family members, problems at work, shifts in the economy, issues in the world that effect the peace and stability of nations, and a host of other problems that plague mankind, life continues after people quit smoking and it is imperative to recognize that you are going to have bad days as an ex-smoker. But you must recognize that you were going to have most of those same days if you were a current smoker and you would likely have had some of those same days if you had never been a smoker.

Also you should note that while many of these bad days would have been happening no matter what your past or current smoking status had been, by having quit smoking you are in fact averting a whole lot of really bad days that smoking would have induced. Examples would be the day you have a smoking induced stroke, or the day you have a heart attack, or the day that a routine x-ray shows a spot that turns out to be more than a technological glitch. These days, while bad in themselves are the start of a time period which may make your current problems seem small and totally insignificant in comparison.

Then there are the problems of the bad days when withdrawals are just a tad worse as a smoker, because the environments you are in are not allowing constant smoking. These days are happening a lot more often for people too as more and more cities, states and even whole countries are starting to implement smoking restrictions in more public places.

Then there are the bad days when smoking becomes a greater economic hardship, because the price per pack all of a sudden jumps significantly. Then there are the bad days when you burn some piece of clothing, furniture, or maybe your whole house down. That last one would be a particularly noteworthy bad day--especially if you had pets or family members in the house who did not get out.

Smoking does have the one advantage of pretty much insuring that you will have less bad days of life though. It does this by killing you earlier than you were really intending to go. Unfortunately, this also limits your number of good days too and it will normally leave your loved ones with a lot more bad days than they would normally have had if you did not smoke.

Freedom is a lot more like the corporate based clinics because we all have the opportunity to stay in touch and share experiences over the long-term. While this allows our members the ability to share experiences and help to reinforce each others resolve, it also carries the additional risk of the spreading of negative experiences and having it appear to be effects of having quit smoking. It is crucial for our members to be more discriminating that this. When you are having bad moments to be able to look around and surrounding circumstances and try to determine if other areas of your life may be responsible for certain physical or emotional reactions.

If you come to the conclusion that absolutely nothing is wrong in your life or in the lives of others around you that can be accounting for some bad feeling--congratulations are in order for you have reached a state of paradise and bliss that most of mankind has been seeking since its inception and has never been able to attain. Although if this is the case, there is a chance that you may have lost a little touch with reality.

Life goes on after you quit smoking--accept that fact. It is indeed what you were hoping for when first quitting--that your life would go on as it did before, maybe even better. While you may not be happy with the way everything is going in your life at any given moment, if you really examine the benefits to your health and to your life of no longer having to maintain an expensive, dirty, dangerous and deadly addiction, you will at least always be a little happier by the fact that you made and stuck to a commitment to never take another puff!

Joel

16 Feb 2003, 07:38 #29

It seems a number of people are experiencing what they think of as bad days. Everyone should work at keeping things in perspective. Life goes on without smoking and sometimes things will be bad that have nothing to do with smoking and or quitting.

But I think if everyone really considers the full implications of smoking, they will realize that that even bad days are better days than they would be if you were still a smoker. More significant, if you compare your bad days to people on oxygen for the rest of their lives because they are permanently pulmonary cripples, or people on chemotherapy trying to save their lives from cancer, or people in the end stages of smoking induced conditions that have no real effective treatments, they will realize that the bad days they are now having are a walk in the park compared to these patients bad days. In fact, your bad days are probably better than these people's good days.

If in doubt of this concept, go to www.whyquit.com and take a read of the ALA Wall of Remembrance or take a look at Bryan's story and see which of these people's life stories would you consider trading positions with.

Bryan's story

Trouble in relationships, job troubles, sleep disturbances, even depression, if compared to these tragic stories should help make you realize what you have gained by quitting as opposed to lamenting of the problems that you may perceive quitting has caused. In most cases quitting hasn't caused your problems, life has. Cigarettes won't resolve problems either, just add new ones to them that are usually more serious than the problem leading you to want a cigarette. Life goes on after quitting. In fact it will likely go on longer and you will go on significantly healthier as long as you always remember to never take another puff!

Joel
For people who were experiencing a "bad day" yesterday. Life goes on without smoking and life will have its good days and bad days. Quitting smoking helps insure you will overall have more days, and because of better health you will be able to more fully enjoy the good days and even be better equipped mentally and physically to handle the bad days too.

Bad situations (death, illness, relationship problems, work troubles or job losses, bad economic times, etc.) will still occur and make for down times. But time helps all of us assimilate even the most tragic of circumstances and we bounce back to carry on with our lives. Even after the death of those closest to us, over time we can get back to happy and fulfilling lives.

Time does not improve smoking though. Smoking gets worse and worse over time, and your health deteriorates more and more over time. The kind of damage smoking can induce does not always lend itself to just bad days or bad moments in a day--it can lead to pain and discomfort that continues till death ends the chronic suffering.

Again, while it may sound cliché and flippant, any day you overcome every obstacle smoke free was a good day in that one respect. That one respect helped to extend your health and save your life. Take satisfaction in your accomplishment for that day. To feel the same satisfaction everyday, remember what a good job you did staying smoke free yesterday and vow today to recommit to never take another puff!

Joel

John (Gold)

07 May 2006, 20:10 #30

Today millions of never-smokers will have a bad day. The difference between them and a recovering nicotine addict is that thoughts about the absence or presence of nicotine as being part of the problem or solution will never once cross their mind. But take heart. Not only will this bad day pass but someday in the not to distant future you too will experience another bad day during which you'll never once think about smoking nicotine.
Celebrate your mind's physical, subconscious and conscious healing as you have left absolutely nothing of value behind! Look forward to any un-extinguished crave triggers as an opportunity to reclaim yet another aspect of life! Look at each conscious thought of wanting that enters your mind as a golden opportunity to set the record straight. Now that you are fully committed to never taking another puff the lying can end.
Truth be known, you are the envy of every addicted smoker you'll see today. They do not smoke nicotine to tease you. They do so because they must. For them, every day is lived inside a toxic cloud. Their addiction compels them to wear arsenic, cadmium, cyanide and a host of other toxins upon their face, hair, hands and clothing. Today they will each pay money to destroy a bit more of their body's ability to receive and transport life giving oxygen, to add to and build bigger a carcinogen bomb within, to further damage a totally innocent mind and body. You think you had a bad day? Imagine adding active nicotine dependency and the never endings struggle to keep pace with nicotine's two-hour chemical half-life to it.
Good or bad days our healing and freedom continues. No matter how bad any day feels you'll always have the pride and glory of having taken back your mind, health and life! No circumstance on planet earth can every compel you to put nicotine into your bloodstream again. Recovery and returning home is your loving gift to you. Hold it close and protect it above all else. Still just one guiding principle, one that will always remain our common bond ... just one day at a time Never Take Another Puff, Dip or Chew! Tomorrow will be better but certain aspects of this moment are already perfect! We're with in spirit.
Breathe deep, hug hard, live long,
John (Gold x6)
Last edited by John (Gold) on 12 Apr 2009, 05:04, edited 1 time in total.