Repost of "Bad Days"

Subconscious use cue extinguishment
Patticake (Gold)

13 Feb 2001, 01:38 #11

Thank you Joel for getting me back on track where I can get things back into perspective. You are absolutely right, parts of my day yesterday were absolutely great. Lesson learned. Well Nicodemon who got the last laugh here? FREEDOM......that's who.

Joel

28 Feb 2001, 21:01 #12

I know I just brought this one up a few days ago but Kim was having a bad day. But from the look of her last post she woke up the next morning to a good day. This is important to recognize. Having a bad day and not smoking gives the real opportunity to waking up the next day with many things being better. Sure there may still be some unresolved issues hung over from the day before. Maybe even some new problems. But you have another whole day now to work on them. And if you don't resolve everything that day there will always be tomorrow. Sooner of later the problem of today will be resolved with time.

But taking a cigarette because of a problem is different. Because you will not wake up the next day with just the same problem. You will wake up the next day with the same problem and a whole lot bigger problem than you woke up the previous day with-an active addiction, a need for a drug. A drug that is either going to put you into a major withdrawal or is going to be continued day after day. A drug addiction that doesn't ease up with time but just gets stronger and more dangerous. Most important it is an addiction that will not give you more time to resolve itself or any other life issues, but one in fact that will give you less time overall to deal with life problems but also to experience life's joys too. It basically comes down to being an addiction that will steal your time by shortening your life.

Again, surviving even a bad day smoke free makes it a good day by definition, when considering the grand scheme of things. To make today a good day and all the others to follow always remember to never take another puff!

Joel

mirigirl (silver)

28 Feb 2001, 21:18 #13

Thank God these "bad days" (or bad moments?) do pass and we can wake up to a new day, grateful that we got through the last one, (no matter how skew-iff!!??) smoke and nicotine free!!
It does get better.
YQS Maz

NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!!
One month, one week, one day, 21 minutes and 35 seconds of FREEDOM!!
Last edited by mirigirl (silver) on 20 Mar 2009, 04:34, edited 1 time in total.

LadyJen22

26 Mar 2001, 06:25 #14

Thanks for bringing this up for me Joel. It's great to have such support.
We have all probably heard the saying, "A Bad Day at the Beach is better than a Good Day at Work."
Well, I think we should coin a new phrase:

"A Bad Day Not Smoking is BETTER than a Good Day Smoking!"

Jen
1M, 2W, 2D Smoke Free

Patticake (Gold)

26 Mar 2001, 10:53 #15

I suppose not having the habit to lean on and learning to lean on myself has been my greatest hurdle. I have really been taking a good look at myself, seemed everything (almost) I did nicotine was involved. One of my rituals was a smoke and a Dr. Pepper in the evenings. Had to learn to undo that habit. Gads I wasted a lot of time, nicotine this, nicotine that, no wonder this is called Freedom. I have really had some 'bad times' getting from 1/17/01 to today....even had some times when I had a hard time remembering why I wanted to quit in the first place. Even had some days when I looked in the mirror and said "hi, who are you today'. Even had some days when I wished I could crawl under the bed with my cats and sleep eighteen hours like they do. Then one day it suddenly occured to me that yes enemy #1 was nicotine, but enemy #2 was 'moi'. I had convinced myself I was having a horrible time simply because I had noticed someone else was and I was just following the herd. Actually after I had completed a mental inventory I discovered I felt pretty darn good. I checked a lot of the notes I had made in my journal and discovered that a lot of them were a hoot. Now I admit this is not something I EVER want to go through again. I smoked for 40+years and I have a lot of history with the stinking things but I honestly can't think of a day/moment that was so bad that I couldn't go through it again and relapse. I asked my God for help on January 17th, he led me here, now that was a very good day.

Joel

18 May 2001, 11:52 #16

I haven't been able to spend a lot of time here the past few days. It seems a number of people are experiencing what they think of as bad days. Everyone should work at keeping things in perspective. Life goes on without smoking and sometimes things will be bad that have nothing to do with smoking and or quitting.

But I think if everyone really considers the full implications of smoking, they will realize that that even bad days are better days than they would be if you were still a smoker. More significant, if you compare your bad days to people on oxygen for the rest of their lives because they are permanently pulmonary cripples, or people on chemotherapy trying to save their lives from cancer, or people in the end stages of smoking induced conditions that have no real effective treatments, they will realize that the bad days they are now having are a walk in the park compared to these patients bad days. In fact, your bad days are probably better than these people's good days.

If in doubt of this concept, go to www.whyquit.com and take a read of the ALA Wall of Remembrance or take a look at Bryan's story and see which of these people's life stories would you consider trading positions with. Trouble in relationships, job troubles, sleep disturbances, even depression, if compared to these tragic stories should help make you realize what you have gained by quitting as opposed to lamenting of the problems that you may perceive quitting has caused. In most cases quitting hasn't caused your problems, life has. Cigarettes won't resolve problems either, just add new ones to them that are usually more serious than the problem leading you to want a cigarette. Life goes on after quitting. In fact it will likely go on longer and you will go on significantly healthier as long as you always remember to never take another puff!

Joel

Keilit (Gold )

14 Jun 2001, 07:50 #17

I just wanted to say this. I was reading this thread today and saw that a month ago JoAnne brought this up for me, I guess I was having a bad day. I honestly don't remember anymore.
Today I had another bad day, but it was still a wondeful day. Because no matter how badly things went, or how I embarasssed myself in front of my fiance's family (ugh! I think falling into the pool fully dressed, says enough here!)
I NEVER thought about having a smoke, even with other people who were there smoking like chimneys.
So, for all the lurkers and newbies, it really does get better, and we really do learn how to control our emotions without nicotine. And it feels great!
-Heather
One month, one week, four days, 10 hours, 39 minutes and 48 seconds. 424 cigarettes not smoked, saving $90.19. Life saved: 1 day, 11 hours, 20 minutes.

Joel

22 Sep 2001, 19:53 #18

I think with the recent tragedies that we have been encountering as a country and a world-the concept of "Bad Days" is being felt by many. I think that the message in this string is so important under such time periods.

That while days that were and still are being experienced by some of our members are possibly some of the worst days they have ever experienced in their lives and hopefully will be the worst they will ever have to encounter again-the fact that they got through them without smoking is a tremendous tribute to their ability to remain smoke free.

I hate to use the term "good day" in reference to these particular days and the smoking issue because the concept of these being "good days" for anything seems to be beyond comprehension. But the fact that they survived these days smoke free should prove to them and the rest of us beyond a shadow of a doubt that even under the worst conditions imaginable-your life can go on without smoking. Without question your life will go on better and less complicated and you will actually be better able to cope with the bad times as well as the good times as long as you remain nicotine free by always remembering to never take another puff!

Joel

Joel

08 Feb 2002, 09:03 #19

For people who were experiencing a "bad day" yesterday. Life goes on without smoking and life will have its good days and bad days. Quitting smoking helps insure you will overall have more days, and because of better health you will be able to more fully enjoy the good days and even be better equipped mentally and physically to handle the bad days too.

Bad situations (death, illness, relationship problems, work troubles or job losses, bad economic times, etc.) will still occur and make for down times. But time helps all of us assimilate even the most tragic of circumstances and we bounce back to carry on with our lives. Even after the death of those closest to us, over time we can get back to happy and fulfilling lives.

Time does not improve smoking though. Smoking gets worse and worse over time, and your health deteriorates more and more over time. The kind of damage smoking can induce does not always lend itself to just bad days or bad moments in a day--it can lead to pain and discomfort that continues till death ends the chronic suffering.

Again, while it may sound cliché and flippant, any day you overcome every obstacle smoke free was a good day in that one respect. That one respect helped to extend your health and save your life. Take satisfaction in your accomplishment for that day. To feel the same satisfaction everyday, remember what a good job you did staying smoke free yesterday and vow today to recommit to never take another puff!

Joel

Felicia GOLD

20 Mar 2002, 20:44 #20

I needed this one today! I feel like I'm on a rollarcoaster, one really really great day, then a few "bad" days, one really really great day, a few "bad" days. Ugh! Yesterday, I turned green and just assumed that I would feel like taking on the world...NOT. Yes, I was very proud on the inside but still struggling through a day of "nothing going right" and no energy. But, as you said here...it WAS a good day because I didn't take a puff...not one. There are positives to everything, just have to look for them. Thanks!

felicia
I have chosen not to smoke for 1 Month 1 Day 7 Hours 44 Minutes 50 Seconds.
I've reclaimed 4 Days 1 Hr 44 Mins 33 Secs of my life.