Replacing the Word "Cigarette" with "Nicotine"

Retraining the conscious mind

Replacing the Word "Cigarette" with "Nicotine"

John (Gold)

24 Mar 2001, 23:15 #1

Try Replacing the Word
"Cigarette" with "Nicotine"

We don't live for "cigarettes" any more than an alcoholic lives for an empty bottle or a heroin addict an empty needle. We lived for the drug inside, which in our case was nicotine. The cigarette, needle and bottle are simply drug delivery devices, with the cigarette and its more than 3,500 chemical particles and 500 gases being the dirtiest of all.

For far too long we've romanticized our cigarettes. Slick marketing, artistic packaging and an abundance of peer Imagetraining in how to look soooooo cool while ingesting that next fix allowed our minds to elevate our dirty drug delivery device almost to hero worship status. Only in the past few decades have we come to learn that the intoxication level of a drug is not how addictiveness is measured. "Dependence" upon a drug is defined as how difficult it is for the user to quit, the drug's relapse rate, the percentage of people who eventually become addicted, the rating users give their own need for the substance and the degree to which the substance will be used in the face of evidence that it causes harm. Over the past two decades, study after study has concluded that nicotine generates greater drug "dependence" than heroin, cocaine or alcohol.

ImageIsn't it time to stop romanticizing the cigarette? Isn't it time to awaken to the realization that convenience store marketing that pounded home the message that we had not yet lived, experienced real pleasure, tasted life's best flavor, rebelled, been true to ourselves, acted adult or stirred our senses until we'd smoked was bait?  Yes, the chemically enslaved mind reaches for excuses to explain being hooked.  Yes, the tobacco industry is more than happy to supply them.  But there is one reason we'll never see posted in any store.   One reason is missing.  The truth.  We didn't smoke nicotine because we liked it.  We did so because we didn't like what happened when we didn't smoke it.

ImageEvery two hours the amount of nicotine in our  bloostream declined by roughly half.  Trapped, we were bounced back and forth between insula driven anxieties, urges and craves for having waited too long, and replenishment dopamine "aaah" wanting relief sensations when tanking up.  An endless cycle of emotional beatings and rewards left us totally convinced that nicotine use defined who we were, gave us our edge, helped us cope and that life without it would be miserable.  We had no choice but to rationalize chemical captivity.  

Isn't it time to be honest with ourselves? Here is a little exercise that will hopefully help remove the emperors pure white wrapper to expose the master of servitude who resides inside. For just the next week, each time that your mind causes you to reach for the word "cigarette" (when thinking, speaking or writing) stop and replace it with the word "nicotine." If you do, I think you'll be shocked at some of the things that you were about to tell yourself.  What do you have to lose?  Give it a try!

Breathe deep, hug hard, live long,

John (Zep)
Last edited by John (Gold) on 05 Nov 2012, 21:09, edited 5 times in total.

Shelby (GOLD)

24 Mar 2001, 23:59 #2

Hey there Zep!!!
I think you're right on the money with this one!

I've been using the word
"nicotine"
instead of
"cigarette"
in my head and while speaking to others
    since I started on this journey of Freedom..
Helps to remind me that I'm an addict,
a junkie...
And this is a serious drug, nicotine.
Have you thought about changing the title of this website
to more accurately reflect this very point?....
Sure, tobacco is the source of nicotine,
but there are other forms of delivery,
as we all are aware of....
Patches, gum, inhalers, etc...
Just a thought.....
Your Freedom Sis,
Shelby
Two months, 16 hours, 16 minutes and 44 seconds. 1193 cigarettes not smoked, saving $197.53. Life saved: 4 days, 3 hours, 25 minutes.
Last edited by Shelby (GOLD) on 06 Oct 2011, 16:20, edited 1 time in total.

Joel

25 Mar 2001, 00:48 #3

Sorry Zep:

Didn't mean to bury your string here. Yes nicotine is the culprit of the addiction. I in fact advertise my single session seminars as "Nicotine Addiction Seminars." If I were starting from scratch today I might call my clinics Nicotine Addiction Clinics but people are really used to the Stop Smoking Clinic name so I don't want to cause an identity crisis of the program.

The one point I would like to add to this though is that while nicotine should get its focus of the attention for it is the addictive substance in tobacco, as well one of the major contributing factors for the heart disease implications, when being delivered by smoking a cigarette or any other form of smoked use, it is being accompanied by thousands of other chemical that have long and in many cases familiar names. If you were to go to the store to by them in pure form, they would have skull and crossbones on the labels, or, the store owner or chemistry shop would swiftly inform you that they don't have these products, and basically no one does because they are too dangerous to be bottled and allowed to be sold to the public. How many times have you seen warnings on chemical like this and then thought to yourself, "Gee, I wonder how I can deposit this stuff in my lungs and distribute throughout my body."

So look at cigarettes as a sum of their components. Nicotine is insideous because it has the ability to make you use it and all the other garbage that comes in cigarettes even though common sense tell you it is insane. See cigarettes in their entirety and your only logical choice will be to never take another puff!

Joel

John (Gold)

25 Mar 2001, 01:08 #4

I wish we could change the name Shelby as it would quickly become Freedom from Nicotine. MSN's community set-up doesn't allow it. When I picked Freedom's name on September 8, 1999, I was trying to think of a way to be inclusive of those hooked on chew, snuff and cigars as well. To be frank, my thinking hadn't yet evolved to the point of seeing nicotine as the sole substance responsible for my thirty years of serious self inflicted abuse. I knew that nicotine was addictive but I didn't yet see myself as an addict. It's a big step for each of us.

Joel is the reason that I started seriously digging into the literature. The closer I examined his "nicotine is the enemy" articles, the deeper I dug. I was doing my very best to put together a solid case that proved his philosophy was flawed. I was shocked! I didn't want to be a drug addict but if it were true then I had a right to know! It helped me to finally realize why that one little "puff" kept throwing me back to the "pack." Knowing that I'm just one puff away from full relapse doesn't reduce the complete comfort or deep sense of calmness that my new life has come to be - not one bit. It doesn't hurt at all to know what it will take for me lose my freedom and return to the world of smoke, fire, ash and decay. I feel liberated in just knowing.

Sorry to ramble Shelby! You made me think about history but it led me back to you! I wish that we could somehow share what we know with the 1.2 billion soles here on earth that are today dependent upon nicotine. If we had enough teachers I sincerely believe that we could cut their ranks in half within just a year. We're working on it, right Shelby! Bug Brotherly Hugs, Zep : )

Linnee (Gold)

25 Mar 2001, 01:22 #5

Yes, it's true. I am a nicotine addict, and the method I used to feed my addiction was smoking cigarettes. Whenever junkie thinking creeps up and I think about getting a fix, however, I only consider a cigarette. It never occurs to me to chew some nicotine gum or put on a nicotine patch. That's why Never Take Another Puff is my credo. Now that there has been no nicotine in my system for nearly 9 months, I know that that one puff would trigger my addiction, leading to 2 packs a day. Although I'm not going to try it, I wonder... if I chewed a piece of nicotine gum, would I become addicted to the gum? It's not worth the risk, but I doubt it. What might happen is that I'd crave a cigarette when my brain got the message that nicotine was back. I think that for me, the method of injesting my drug of choice will always be the cigarette, that the two cannot be separated. What do you think?

Linnee I have chosen not to smoke for eight months, three weeks, five days, 9 hours, 32 minutes and 46 seconds. 10855 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,682.92. Life saved: 5 weeks, 2 days, 16 hours, 35 minutes.

John (Gold)

25 Mar 2001, 01:40 #6

I had a good quit going in the mid 70's (maybe a month) but decided that cigars were somehow different than cigarettes and they were. The smoke was just toooo strong and it would turn me green just trying. Well, believe it or not it wasn't long before I'd learned to inhale on a regular basis but I was getting far too much nicotine and went back to my smokes. As for becoming addicted to pure nicotine, thousands upon thousands of people are and I know a few of them right here in this small town. I understand that Don Imas, the I-Man on MSNBC in the mornings, has been addicted to the gum for over a decade now. You're right Linnee, it isn't worth finding out how we'd react, but the lastest drug manfacturing trend is toward getting smokers off of dirty cigarettes and onto the new clean nicotine candy that has been developed and is in testing now. What will they think of next!

Patticake (Gold)

07 May 2001, 04:56 #7

Hi Zep and Joel. I have really made an effort to replace the 'C' word with the 'N' word, but I am still learning to reprogram my thinking to learn that I was actually addicted to the 'N', the 'C' was merely the package the 'N' came in. You will be proud to know that I strive daily to replace the 'N' word with four of your world famous words which are 'NTAP'. I'am just being a little 'S' (silly) today. I guess it is all this oxygen I' am getting these days. Getting quite fond of all this good old fresh air I'am breathing. YQF @ 3m, 2w, 5d, and counting. AntoniaImage

John (Gold)

22 Jul 2001, 03:09 #8

In printing materials for my clinic next week I decided to give the entire program the name "Freedom from Nicotine!" It seemed so natural -
NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF OF NICOTINE : )
Last edited by John (Gold) on 26 Mar 2009, 12:23, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)

16 Sep 2001, 22:55 #9

Did you know that 5% of tobacco's
weight is nicotine? Neither did I !

How is Nicotine Addiction Defined?

Abnormal Psychology's Definition

Brigham Young University

World Health Organization's Standard

World Health Organization

The American Standard

How Does Nicotine Addict Us?

Nicotine Junkies

The Why Files

Time Magazine

University of Arizona

How Addictive is Nicotine?

Relative Addictiveness of Drugs

New York Times, 1994

Associated Press, 1996

American Council on Science and Health, 2000

Reuters News on Royal College of Physicians, 2000

Last edited by John (Gold) on 26 Mar 2009, 12:25, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)

21 Dec 2001, 01:59 #10

We were once confident that water was just water!
In that nicotine is odorless and tasteless, now we just don't know!
If you have any friends who are ex-smoker, please be sure that they each know the law of addiction and fully appreciate the true power of nicotine. Believe it or not, many quitters successfully break free each year without appreciating how they were able to do so! I once had a quit like that myself! Many of us did!
Last edited by John (Gold) on 26 Mar 2009, 12:27, edited 1 time in total.