Replacing the Word "Cigarette" with "Nicotine"

Retraining the conscious mind
johnny L irish

20 Feb 2004, 11:17 #21

Cigarettes are also very efficient. From what I understand, each one delivers about 10 hits outside at the communal ashtray. Since I smoked 30 a day, I needed to feed myself 300 times. Of course, when I started out, I only needed to feed myself maybe 60 or 70 times a day. Incredibly efficient and cost [deImageth]-effective over time. Always more, more, more. I'm glad to be rid of them.

Johnny
5D 21h 16m nicotine-free

Sal GOLD.ffn

23 Jul 2004, 23:18 #22

I wish it was just a nasty little habit

Recognizing needs
Last edited by Sal GOLD.ffn on 26 Mar 2009, 13:24, edited 1 time in total.

ChristyMay1977

11 Aug 2005, 11:06 #23

EWWWWW ~ How sick is that? ... I would like to think that I was ever THAT addicted as to drink my nicotine due to a smoking ban in bars... but sad fact is, that I more than likely was! GROSS
~*~ Grateful Every Single Day for my Freedom! ~*~
Kisses,
Christy xx
Breathing Easy Since April 11th 2005 ~ That's 121 days!

forza d animo

13 Feb 2006, 23:31 #24

Image Be honest with yourself. That is why you are reading here and not at another forum.
The next time that you think to yourself , "I want a cigarette." Say it aloud instead, "I want some nicotine."
You may be surprised just how quickly it works to keep a passing thought from turning into a raving crave. Your focus will quickly return to what you have learned and keep you from pursuing some fantasy that only frustrates you.
Give it a try. It really works.

Joseph - 16 months

Em B 12106

15 Feb 2006, 06:28 #25

Indeed it does, (almost) immediately... within seconds!

Em
Image Three weeks, two days, 19 hours, 20 minutes and 34 seconds. 357 cigarettes not smoked, saving $75.70. Life saved: 1 day, 5 hours, 45 minutes.Image

AngiBugQuits

18 Feb 2006, 02:09 #26

I will replace the word Cigarette with Nicotine for the rest of the day just to try it on for size....it may stick!

While I am at it, I will also replace the word Smoker with Addict.....

Image I am very happy that I am now a Recovering Addict winning the battle over my addiction to Nicotine!

NTAP!

Sal GOLD.ffn

06 Apr 2006, 05:09 #27

ImageFrom above - Message #48:

Be honest with yourself. That is why you are reading here and not at another forum.
The next time that you think to yourself , "I want a cigarette." Say it aloud instead, "I want some nicotine."
You may be surprised just how quickly it works to keep a passing thought from turning into a raving crave. Your focus will quickly return to what you have learned and keep you from pursuing some fantasy that only frustrates you.
Give it a try. It really works.

Joseph - 16 months

maura60

28 Jul 2006, 03:32 #28

Tks John, that was a very good tip, it decontextualizes the white thing with a filter and we see it for what it is. Clever. Thanks again.

JoeJFree Gold

10 Oct 2006, 23:28 #29

An excellent example of how replacing the word cigarette with nicotine can hilight the truth of our addiction:

A different perspective ...
Hi, first let me in introduce myself. I have been [ a nicotine addict ] since I was 16, I am now 25 (almost 26). I started [ using nicotine ] casually with some friends after school, which by college turned into a [ full fledged addiction ]. Until a week ago I was [ using ] just about a pack a day. 20 Brand Name Not Important [ nicotine delivery devices ] a day, usually more on the weekend (being out drinking and [ bringing on premature withdrawal ]) In college all of my friends [were nicotine addicts], all my college friends [ are still nicotine addicts ]. Everything I did, everywhere I went I was [ using nicotine ]. I would always have [ nicotine delivery devices ] on me. I would [ administer a dose ] first thing in the morning and right before bed. If I had only 2 [ delivery devices ] left in my pack you bet I was on my way to the store to buy more so I would never be without them.

Well people have been on me for as long as I can remember to quit [ using nicotine ]. I always said, "Yeah, yeah I will quit when I am ready." I told myself I would stop [ using nicotine ] when I turned 18, when I was 22 as my new years resolution, and then when I graduated college. I never even tried to quit. I don't think I even made an effort.

Two weeks ago money was a bit tight so as I was sitting making a budget for the week I was trying to figure out how I was going to make ends meet with bills, food, gas, and [ nicotine ]. I looked at my budget and laughed at myself because I was budgeting in something that was killing me. I said to myself, "How the heck is it possible that I am 25, college educated and still doing something 20 times a day that is killing me slowly and here I sit trying to figure out a way to keep doing it?" So I decided I was going to quit. I bought another pack of [ nicotine delivery devices ] the next day and told myself that after that pack was done I would be done. I began to research and found this site and whyquit.com and I began reading. I learnt a lot and made my mind up that I could do it. So a week ago today @ 11:45pm I [ used nicotine for the last time ].

I must say the first days were ok. I wasn't crawling the walls or anything. I would wake up in the morning and crave [ nicotine ] but I would tell myself today we aren't [ using nicotine ]; we will deal with tomorrow when it gets here. Although the craving never really went away (sort of a fog over my head all day, I was thinking about [ nicotine ] almost every min. of everyday) I didn't [ use nicotine ]. I drank a lot of juice. But I guess most importantly I didn't [ use nicotine ] not even [ once ]! I told myself: get over it, you're not [ using nicotine ] so figure out something else to do!

Well day 6 came and the cravings came a bit stronger and now at day 7 I might be going out of my mind. I am very restless and crawling out of my skin. I smell [ the toxic residue of the combustion of 4000 + chemicals ] on my co-workers and am obsessing about it. I want [ to smell like that too ], I want [ nicotine ]! I know why I quit! I read and re-read my list but god I [ never knew what it meant to be addicted until now ]! Not a lot of stress in general right now but just a longing for [ relief from withdrawal ].

My big concern is tomorrow. I am going to an all day music festival with a friend of mine. I have been looking forward to this show for a long time now. I know we will be drinking a lot of the day and just hanging out seeing some really good sets. I love outdoor music fests and this will be a really good one. Although I always [ used nicotine ] at them. My buddy is a [ constantly in withdrawal ] and I know he will be [ burning a toxic waste dump ] next to me all day. On top of that with drinking tomorrow I am not sure if I [ understand my addiction well enough to deal with the challenge ].

I know this was a long post and if ya read the whole thing…hey thanks! I guess I am just sitting here typing all this out cause….well I just want [ to smoke nicotine for the rest of my life ]!

The message must have helped (along with others) as tihs post ended the thread this reply was lifted from.

This addiction is very real and very potent. You should take it very seriously.
Knowledge is your ally and a simple phrase will keep you free.
Never take another puff.

Joseph (forza-d-animo)
Gold
Last edited by JoeJFree Gold on 06 Oct 2011, 16:26, edited 2 times in total.

Sharry

16 Dec 2006, 02:34 #30

Whar an intersting thread - puts a whole different perspective on my ex addiction.

I now realise that my whole adult life has been blighted by the addiction called nicotine.

Now I fully understand why I began, some years ago, to hate the actual smoking bit - needed the nicotine - so had it by way of gum sometimes. Probably less harmful but always went back to the smoking form of delivery.

I am committed to stay quit - and will find it a lot easier with such wonderful insight such as yours - thank you - Sharry.