Recognizing Needs

Subconscious use cue extinguishment
LisaT774

19 Apr 2005, 00:06 #51

Image This thread is a great help. Thanks OBob for authoring and to Lena for bringing it up! I always find some other activity or identify what I want, but the hesitation, (standing/sitting there staring blankly into space while I internally search for what I want or something I could/should be doing,) makes some people think I'm 'challenged' in some way. My still-smoking addict roommate, (for whom I am trying to set a "calm ex-smoker" example for,) sees this and thinks some of my synapses are misfiring Image .

I am confident I will learn better the cues my body is sending and react more quickly and appropriately in weeks and months to come, but in the meanwhile it is sort of amusing...Image

Have a wonderful, nicotine-free, shiny-happy-Monday! Just look at all those STRONG QUITS out there! Wow! NTAP, people and we will live free forever!

Lisa - Free and Healing for Twenty One Days, 10 Hours and 36 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 21 Hours, by avoiding the use of 257 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $45.07.
Last edited by LisaT774 on 11 Jul 2009, 03:10, edited 1 time in total.

TrulyFreeMe

23 Apr 2005, 03:11 #52

Amazing!!!! I am so glad I was linked to this message! I did a little replacing myself, but not exactly with what I thought it would be. Thanks. You are very helpful... I did not know that someone would try and replace companionship with nicotine, but I did it! I am just sitting here in shock. Literally, I have typed a few words, then have to stop to realize that quitting smoking to me was really not like giving up a drug, but I had made that inanimate object a personal friend to always be there for me when I call. How utterly shameful that I saw a need in myself and replaced it with something so fruitless and destructive and not filling. It did not start out that way. Just a drag, with the gals. Not after awhile. Amazingly embarassing.......

kattatonic1 gold4

02 Jan 2006, 15:45 #53

Hungry? Smoke.
Tired? Smoke.
Anxious? Smoke.
What do you really need? After I read this thread in the first days of my quit, I put a few sticky notes around the house (saves time from the talking to myself). They said "Listen to your body!" Boy that was helpful!
I also recommend a great post from my quit sis Erica!
Appendix to "Recognizing Needs"
Kay (Gold x 2)
Last edited by kattatonic1 gold4 on 11 Jul 2009, 02:58, edited 1 time in total.

sondrat123

01 Feb 2006, 05:55 #54

Thanks, Sal.
I read this and it makes perfect sense to me. I will try to do exactly that. It's people like you that make this posting method so successful. I know thru "other programs" that I attend that helping someone else is the most effective method for me to handle my recovery and I am thinking that this works the same way!! I am nicotine free for another day and am **** bent to NTAP!!
Sandy
Last edited by sondrat123 on 11 Jul 2009, 02:50, edited 1 time in total.

Sal GOLD.ffn

09 Feb 2006, 10:36 #55

Learn to investigate your body's craves.
You feel something... DON'T assume it's a nicotine crave.
Sure, they come now and then, but our body uses similar feelings to get us to fill the daily needs of life.

OBob

Crystal View1.ffn

19 Feb 2006, 10:11 #56

Thanks for bringing this one up Sal! It was always one of my favorites.

I would like to share an example of "Recognizing Needs". Last week, I was coordinating a major hardware change where I work. It went "way less than well!" Image After 6 hours, one of the nurses asked me if "I needed a piece of chocolate"! The secretary (who I used to see out at the desinated smoking area but had forgotten) said "I know what you need"! I (naive as I am!), said, "What?" She said a cigarette. I looked at her and said, "did you not know I quit?" I wish you could have seen the look on her face, she said no. I proudly said, "Yes! 14 months ago!" The nurses all gave me cheers and said. "way to go, Katie!"

So, because of my education here at Freedom! I said, "So I may need something, but it is not a cigarette!"

THANKS FREEDOM! to all newbies, FREEDOM is GREAT. Lovely, actually!

Katie - After 40 Years! Free and Healing for One Year, Four Months, Two Days, 12 Hours and 1 Minute, while extending my life expectancy 28 Days and 21 Hours, by avoiding the use of 8322 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $1,698.24.

KatieDidIt1999

19 Feb 2006, 13:25 #57

Katie...One year, Four Months, Two Days, 12 Hours and 1 Minute.....Thanks for posting, it's exactly what we need to hear! Thanks.
Kat
After 33 years of puffing I've been free for 1 Month, 2 Weeks, 1 Day, 16 hours and 14 minutes (46 days). I have saved $217.03 by not smoking 1,400 cigarettes. I have not stood freezing or frying in the elements for 4 Days, 20 hours and 40 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 1/3/2006 7:30 AM

anhef

28 Mar 2006, 10:00 #58

Thanks for bringing this one up ,Sal.
it's one of many favorites and I actually do go through a checklist like that whenever a trigger hits. MOre times than not, there actually IS something that my mind or body is requesting....and it IS NEVER nicotene!
My brain does a special little happy dance all of its own every time my body gets what it really needs instead of the poison that I used to substitute because of my addiction.
Maybe that's why I'm so happy most of the time lately....I'm finally getting the things I REALLY want and need.
Thanks Freedom!
annie
addicted for 44+ years and quit for 1M 2W 4D 1h 54m 3s 1M 2W 4D 1h 54m 3s (46 days). I have deprived the tobacco companies of $299.12 by not smoking 2,303 cigarettes. I have saved 1W 23h 55m of my life. My Quit Date: 2/9/2006 7:11 PM

JoeJFree Gold

01 Jul 2006, 21:33 #59

Learn to investigate your body's craves. You feel something... DON'T assume it's a nicotine crave. Sure, they come now and then, but our body uses similar feelings to get us to fill the daily needs of life. Go through the list. Are you hungry, tired, thirsty, angry, restless, run down? Do you need to eat, sleep, drink, vent, exercise, rest? Your body and mind have real needs, and it has ways of asking for them. Learn to listen, and you'll find that they might not be asking for nicotine as often as you thought. Learn to answer the needs by fulfilling them, instead of replacing them with nicotine, and you'll find health benefits you might not have expected.

Cheers,

Image Bob
Last edited by JoeJFree Gold on 11 Jul 2009, 02:59, edited 1 time in total.

bdc880

03 Nov 2006, 07:27 #60

Wow, this is some really useful information. I keep wondering why I am still having these physical type craves, even after a month. This clarifies some things for me.
Thanks for sharing.