Marjie
Marjie

July 8th, 2004, 9:01 am #41

Very helpful post about craves, thanks Bob. It almost answers my question, but not quite.

I have been quit for 70 days now, and lately I'm getting this thing where my mouth won't stop watering. I have been missing cigs quite a bit lately I guess. All of my friends smoke and I was on vacation with them last week. The weird thing is, I'm trying to figure out why my mouth is watering so much. Is it from missing nicotine? Vacation is over, and it's still happening many times a day. Has anyone else experienced this? I really appreciate your feedback.

Cheers,
Marjie

WideEnlightened
WideEnlightened

August 27th, 2004, 2:23 pm #42

To OBoB:

You certainly are very wise. I am beginning to realize that I pretty much replaced everything I wanted in life with a cigarette. Nothing has value without one. One before and one after. And everything in between didn't matter too much.

This impacted my relationships in a terrible way. My son, whom I never see now, has recently told me that he thought I was just "never there." I wasn't! I was smoking in my bedroom when I was home. I am just now beginning to examine what I am feeling or needing. And it is not nicotine. It is what a non "nicotine normal" me would be feeling or needing.

Thanks for this article very much..quit 4 weeks, 5 days 19 hours.

Mary Ann

Just Gie Gold
Just Gie Gold

September 23rd, 2004, 4:32 am #43

Makes me wonder how many needs I stuffed by smoking over the years. No wonder I was feeling so haggard for a while....I was probably dehydrated and tired, not in need of a cigarette. *sigh*

Angie - 8 Months 1 Week 1 Day 22 Hours 13 Minutes 6 Seconds. Cigarettes not smoked: 2023. Money saved: C$809.36 I've reclaimed 2 Wks 1 Hr 14 Mins 3 Secs of my life.

WideEnlightened
WideEnlightened

October 17th, 2004, 8:19 am #44

Thanks to whomever brought this thread up.

I read it with great delight for a few minutes, and then with a growing feeling of anxiety, when I found my own reply in the string....at 4weeks, 5 days. I have just copied this to my favorites. How beautifully it is written and how heart-wrenchingly true for all of us who replaced living with using.

I'm still scared by the fact that I have no memory of either reading this article by Obob or of writing a response. The first month of my quit (after 46 years) was passed in a sort of relentless oblivion.

I am actually working again, and hope smoking has not damaged my ability to remember things the way I used to. I am doing legal work again. It requires a lot of concentration and I'm a little worried that I've lost perhaps too much of it. I'm in the process of re-learning things that used to be second-nature to me. I'm also probably going to relocate closer to my job. As for my son......... I am very determined now to be something more than a "phantom" mom in his life.

Can anyone shed some light on my memory loss concerns? My doctor does not seem to think I have any real problems. But, wow! I don't remember this!

Mary Ann 11 WEEKS 2 DAYS NICOTINE FREE

kattatonic1 gold4
kattatonic1 gold4

January 7th, 2005, 4:24 pm #45

Appendix to "Recognizing Needs"

Great post, my quit sis Erica! I thought it would be nice to have a link to your post today in the original thread. you explained some real examples very well.

Thanks!

~ Kay (Gold) ~
Last edited by kattatonic1 gold4 on July 11th, 2009, 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

JoeJFree Gold
JoeJFree Gold

February 13th, 2005, 1:45 am #46

Thanks to OBob for writing, Erica for adding even more insight and Sal for recommending today. Actually just what I needed. Just did my taxes, the results are NOT good news . Several strong urges, some crazy junkie rationalizing. Who is that guy in my head? I need some water and a long walk but I now also know what I no longer need . Thanks guys, this was In the Nick of Time. My name is JoeJFree a nicotine addict and Ex-smoker for 1 month, 3 days, 2 hours, 28 minutes and 36 seconds (33 days)  NTAP!
Last edited by JoeJFree Gold on February 18th, 2011, 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

GreenSolveg
GreenSolveg

February 13th, 2005, 6:19 am #47

Sorry to hear about your taxes, Joe, but I sure am glad to hear the good news about your making it through the ordeal smoke-free. Before you know it, it won't even occur to you to want to smoke when stuff like this happens.

Keep up the great work!!
Your quit sis,
Erica(Gold)
Last edited by GreenSolveg on February 18th, 2011, 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 22nd, 2005, 10:58 am #48

The other day I had a big ol' crave out of the blue....and it amazed me because, well, I'm now an "oldbie" and haven't had a crave in a long, long, long time.
I put a magnifying glass on the crave and it turned out to be a yell for WATER, as I'd been busy, busy, busy......
It's amazing how the mind will still occasionally Go There and the first impression will be I'm Wanting Nicotine.
But, I'm not. Really, I'm DEFINITELY not.
Water. That was all it was.
Never Take Another Puff.
Sal
Two years, two months, one week, two days, 19 hours, 56 minutes and 18 seconds. 19195 cigarettes not smoked, saving $3,839.19. Life saved: 9 weeks, 3 days, 15 hours, 35 minutes.
Last edited by Sal GOLD.ffn on July 11th, 2009, 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Starshinegrl Gold
Starshinegrl Gold

March 22nd, 2005, 3:15 pm #49

Sal, congratulations on being an oldbie (look at your stats!!!! )!
Your message made me think of one of my favourites I want something ... had to smile when I saw message #70.
Have a great nicotine free day!
Gitte
116 days and a bit
Last edited by Starshinegrl Gold on July 11th, 2009, 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

elrandou
elrandou

April 18th, 2005, 6:38 pm #50

I'm so happy I found that post! It explained so clearly the ridiculous situation I find myself in so many times during the day! When I 'm home and "want something" it's easy to go and hug my husband and/or children or go out at the balcony and breathe deeply, but when I'm at work things are not so easy. Fortunately, I can run here and seek for a helping thread!
Many thanks to you all,
Lena
12days 20:03 smoke-free, 255 cigs not smoked, 28,56 € saved, 21:15 life saved
Last edited by elrandou on July 11th, 2009, 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

LisaT774
LisaT774

April 19th, 2005, 12:06 am #51

This thread is a great help. Thanks OBob for authoring and to Lena for bringing it up! I always find some other activity or identify what I want, but the hesitation, (standing/sitting there staring blankly into space while I internally search for what I want or something I could/should be doing,) makes some people think I'm 'challenged' in some way. My still-smoking addict roommate, (for whom I am trying to set a "calm ex-smoker" example for,) sees this and thinks some of my synapses are misfiring .

I am confident I will learn better the cues my body is sending and react more quickly and appropriately in weeks and months to come, but in the meanwhile it is sort of amusing...

Have a wonderful, nicotine-free, shiny-happy-Monday! Just look at all those STRONG QUITS out there! Wow! NTAP, people and we will live free forever!

Lisa - Free and Healing for Twenty One Days, 10 Hours and 36 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 21 Hours, by avoiding the use of 257 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $45.07.
Last edited by LisaT774 on July 11th, 2009, 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

TrulyFreeMe
TrulyFreeMe

April 23rd, 2005, 3:11 am #52

Amazing!!!! I am so glad I was linked to this message! I did a little replacing myself, but not exactly with what I thought it would be. Thanks. You are very helpful... I did not know that someone would try and replace companionship with nicotine, but I did it! I am just sitting here in shock. Literally, I have typed a few words, then have to stop to realize that quitting smoking to me was really not like giving up a drug, but I had made that inanimate object a personal friend to always be there for me when I call. How utterly shameful that I saw a need in myself and replaced it with something so fruitless and destructive and not filling. It did not start out that way. Just a drag, with the gals. Not after awhile. Amazingly embarassing.......

kattatonic1 gold4
kattatonic1 gold4

January 2nd, 2006, 3:45 pm #53

Hungry? Smoke.
Tired? Smoke.
Anxious? Smoke.
What do you really need? After I read this thread in the first days of my quit, I put a few sticky notes around the house (saves time from the talking to myself). They said "Listen to your body!" Boy that was helpful!
I also recommend a great post from my quit sis Erica!
Appendix to "Recognizing Needs"
Kay (Gold x 2)
Last edited by kattatonic1 gold4 on July 11th, 2009, 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

sondrat123
sondrat123

February 1st, 2006, 5:55 am #54

Thanks, Sal.
I read this and it makes perfect sense to me. I will try to do exactly that. It's people like you that make this posting method so successful. I know thru "other programs" that I attend that helping someone else is the most effective method for me to handle my recovery and I am thinking that this works the same way!! I am nicotine free for another day and am **** bent to NTAP!!
Sandy
Last edited by sondrat123 on July 11th, 2009, 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 9th, 2006, 10:36 am #55

Learn to investigate your body's craves.
You feel something... DON'T assume it's a nicotine crave.
Sure, they come now and then, but our body uses similar feelings to get us to fill the daily needs of life.

OBob

Crystal View1.ffn
Crystal View1.ffn

February 19th, 2006, 10:11 am #56

Thanks for bringing this one up Sal! It was always one of my favorites.

I would like to share an example of "Recognizing Needs". Last week, I was coordinating a major hardware change where I work. It went "way less than well!" After 6 hours, one of the nurses asked me if "I needed a piece of chocolate"! The secretary (who I used to see out at the desinated smoking area but had forgotten) said "I know what you need"! I (naive as I am!), said, "What?" She said a cigarette. I looked at her and said, "did you not know I quit?" I wish you could have seen the look on her face, she said no. I proudly said, "Yes! 14 months ago!" The nurses all gave me cheers and said. "way to go, Katie!"

So, because of my education here at Freedom! I said, "So I may need something, but it is not a cigarette!"

THANKS FREEDOM! to all newbies, FREEDOM is GREAT. Lovely, actually!

Katie - After 40 Years! Free and Healing for One Year, Four Months, Two Days, 12 Hours and 1 Minute, while extending my life expectancy 28 Days and 21 Hours, by avoiding the use of 8322 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $1,698.24.

KatieDidIt1999
KatieDidIt1999

February 19th, 2006, 1:25 pm #57

Katie...One year, Four Months, Two Days, 12 Hours and 1 Minute.....Thanks for posting, it's exactly what we need to hear! Thanks.
Kat
After 33 years of puffing I've been free for 1 Month, 2 Weeks, 1 Day, 16 hours and 14 minutes (46 days). I have saved $217.03 by not smoking 1,400 cigarettes. I have not stood freezing or frying in the elements for 4 Days, 20 hours and 40 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 1/3/2006 7:30 AM

anhef
anhef

March 28th, 2006, 10:00 am #58

Thanks for bringing this one up ,Sal.
it's one of many favorites and I actually do go through a checklist like that whenever a trigger hits. MOre times than not, there actually IS something that my mind or body is requesting....and it IS NEVER nicotene!
My brain does a special little happy dance all of its own every time my body gets what it really needs instead of the poison that I used to substitute because of my addiction.
Maybe that's why I'm so happy most of the time lately....I'm finally getting the things I REALLY want and need.
Thanks Freedom!
annie
addicted for 44+ years and quit for 1M 2W 4D 1h 54m 3s 1M 2W 4D 1h 54m 3s (46 days). I have deprived the tobacco companies of $299.12 by not smoking 2,303 cigarettes. I have saved 1W 23h 55m of my life. My Quit Date: 2/9/2006 7:11 PM

JoeJFree Gold
JoeJFree Gold

July 1st, 2006, 9:33 pm #59

Learn to investigate your body's craves. You feel something... DON'T assume it's a nicotine crave. Sure, they come now and then, but our body uses similar feelings to get us to fill the daily needs of life. Go through the list. Are you hungry, tired, thirsty, angry, restless, run down? Do you need to eat, sleep, drink, vent, exercise, rest? Your body and mind have real needs, and it has ways of asking for them. Learn to listen, and you'll find that they might not be asking for nicotine as often as you thought. Learn to answer the needs by fulfilling them, instead of replacing them with nicotine, and you'll find health benefits you might not have expected.

Cheers,

Bob
Last edited by JoeJFree Gold on July 11th, 2009, 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

bdc880
bdc880

November 3rd, 2006, 7:27 am #60

Wow, this is some really useful information. I keep wondering why I am still having these physical type craves, even after a month. This clarifies some things for me.
Thanks for sharing.

come clean
come clean

January 11th, 2007, 1:18 pm #61

i love this site with its endless posibilities for growth and recognition through posts. what a great moment i just had reading this post put into words something that i've kind of felt but not been able to really grasp.

and what a wonderful way to celebrate clean living...to look at it as a re-exploration of the VARIETY and POSSIBILITIES in meeting our needs. how boring, and unfulfilling it was to have a one common answer. i think of myself as dynamic, so why ever settle again for one catch all solution that doesn't actually solve anything.
the other day i sat and had a bowl of oatmeal before work. while driving to work i realized i felt awake, alert, and fed.

so simple.

so different than how i tried to manage mornings while on nicotine. i'd have a terrible time getting out of bed, rush to get ready, 'treat myself' to 5 minutes of a cigarette before getting in my car, and then down coffee at work until i felt awake.

i myself am enjoying the re-sensitizing to the endless options to meeting my needs.

alex

(i haven't seen hardly anyone use that stick figure, ha ha ha)

(33 days of rediscovering ways to meet my needs, 426 opportunities to choose a path other than nicotine, $110 to spend on finding those new paths)
Last edited by come clean on July 11th, 2009, 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

musician smokefree
musician smokefree

January 11th, 2007, 1:30 pm #62

This is an excellant post. I have read it several times but never replyed. I can remain silent no longer. Very helpful, thank you !!!!!

Dale

sue468
sue468

January 11th, 2007, 6:19 pm #63

When I first read this I had been having lots of cravings. I went and got a big glass of water and came back to reread it and some of the replies. I was actually really thirsty!

This article is really helpful.

Sue

I have been quit for 2 Weeks, 1 Day, 5 hours, 19 minutes and 28 seconds (15 days). I have saved $76.10 by not smoking 304 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Day, 1 hour and 20 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 12/27/2006 12:00 AM

Sasha1310
Sasha1310

September 20th, 2007, 8:35 pm #64

I'm glad I found this information. After 20 days, I have this wanting 'something' feeling quite a lot. I now know to explore what my body is trying to tell me and not just think that it is a craving that won't go away!
Last edited by Sasha1310 on July 11th, 2009, 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

vegadog2
vegadog2

September 27th, 2009, 11:05 pm #65

Thanks for the post really brings thing into perspective