Recognizing Needs

Subconscious use cue extinguishment
MissC GOLD

06 Oct 2003, 00:56 #21

Image I really needed this today.....for some reason, I feel like "something's missing".... this puts it into perspective.

Miss C.

(Silver in less than 30 days)

WPPegooGreenBuckeye

28 Oct 2003, 05:05 #22

I know I'm responding to an old post, but this is soooo true. Sometimes I blame things on quitting smokng ... it's a craving, it's the nicotine trying to fool me. Well, after 20 years of fooling myself that nicotine was the solution to my problems, I'm not going to blame it for everything that goes wrong. I am responsible for my actions and my deeds. No more nicotene to blame. Image

CandidCandiSilver

28 Oct 2003, 10:33 #23

Bob ~ what a great post. Thanks for linking it in one of your posts today. I haven't answered my everyday "needs" like a normal, drug-free person for most of my life. Gosh, it's tough learning to be a "grownup" when you're 57!! Ahhhh, the Journey of Freedom from Addiction! Love it, Love this site and all the great folks who hang out here!!

Candi - Free and Healing for Four Days, 22 Hours and 52 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 8 Hours, by avoiding the use of 99 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $12.88.

clarityGOLDENtree

21 Jan 2004, 14:51 #24

Bob,

I know it's months later, but I'm still a newbie and I was looking at other newbie's posts and this one was recommended and I became curious and whaddyaknow...

I really needed to read this now!

Not only for your beautifully written and accurate words.

But, because I'VE FORGOTTEN HOW TO CRY TOO.

And I see someone wrote that to you.

So important to realize what it IS we're craving in place of nicotine.

Nice to get another perspective here.

Thankx.

Blessings!

Clarity who is two weeks free of nico-drug and happy to be!

wackylaurie

22 Jan 2004, 04:16 #25

Hi OBob,
I know this is an old post,but it still works today!ImageThanks! All that you said is so true. As long as I had my cigarettes I didn't really need anything else.
Or anything else just wasn't as good without a cigarette. Learning how to "be" without a smoke is quite interesting. I have been very tired ever since I quit which will be 3 weeks tomorrow. I thought I might be depressed, but emotionaly I'm doing okay. I think my body is just adjusting. Maybe I'm just learning how to live without a cigarette and it is taking a lot of energy.
ImageLaurie
I have chosen not to smoke for 2 Weeks 6 Days 9 Hours 3 Minutes 43 Seconds. Cigarettes not smoked: 652. Money saved: $81.51.

TerryLynn8888

22 Jan 2004, 08:44 #26

This thread is a great help. Learning to re-learn signals from the body - I've especially been a good one for not saying or really dealing with stressful situations. I would go and have a cigarette instead of talking something out or even taking the time to figure out how I really feel about something. And having a cigarette instead of eating or drinking, etc. is quite common. At 3-1/2 weeks quit I've been rather confused about how my body feels - I'm just learning how to recognize hunger from thirst from whatever but I didn't even recognize that this was a common problem that developed because of the addiction. Thanks!Image

TerryLynn

Sal GOLD.ffn

25 Jan 2004, 13:40 #27

Learn to investigate your body's craves. You feel something... DON'T assume it's a nicotine crave. Sure, they come now and then, but our body uses similar feelings to get us to fill the daily needs of life. Go through the list. Are you hungry, tired, thirsty, angry, restless, run down? Do you need to eat, sleep, drink, vent, exercise, rest? Your body and mind have real needs, and it has ways of asking for them. Learn to listen, and you'll find that they might not be asking for nicotine as often as you thought. Learn to answer the needs by fulfilling them, instead of replacing them with nicotine, and you'll find health benefits you might not have expected.

Sal GOLD.ffn

01 Feb 2004, 08:57 #28

"I've learned -- and this is the point -- when I get what I think is a crave to examine it. To ask myself, okay, I'm craving something... is it really nicotine? Have I eaten? Have I had enough water? Am I run down? Have I exercised in the past couple of days? As often as not, I find that I'm craving something I actually NEED, and not nicotine at all. I find this especially when I get any kind of physical type of crave. I know I'm WAY past withdrawal. But I feel this physical call... my body is demanding something, but it's not nicotine. "

John (Gold)

12 Apr 2004, 20:56 #29

ImageNicotine's two-hour half-life inside the human body was the basic clock that not only regulated the deadline for that next feeding but also which feedings we'd consider our "best."

Imagine sleeping through four nicotine half-lives (8 hours) and awaking the next morning with your nicotine level somewhere down around your socks. No wonder that morning fix was one of the "best." Although the clock could not be slowed, acid generating events such as stress, anxiety, alcohol and mega doses of vitamin C could accelerate the clock by more rapidly depleting the body's reserves of the alkaloid nicotine. Such events would more quickly transport us to the brink of onset of early withdrawal. No wonder we made such deep rooted yet false conclusions about nicotine's relationship to stress and alcohol. No wonder they were some of our "best!"

ImageLiving life on nicotine's clock totally ignored our body's own natural and healthy neurochemical timetables. As you've probably read here at Freedom, nicotine caused the brain to release stores of adrenaline and noradrenaline that prepared our body for the fight or flight survival mode. An amazing cascade of fight or flight neurochemicals would temporarily shut down all non-essential systems and functions, constrict extremity blood vessels to help control any bleeding during battle or escape, accelerate the heartbeat to pump a greater volumes of blood, stimulate the lungs to process more oxygen, would heighten the senses, and dump stored fats and sugars into the bloodstream to provide an instant source of energy. Question: Is that what our body really needed when life's moment begged for deep relaxation like just before climbing into bed to sleep?

Recovery can be a wonderful adventure in self discovery as we begin to appreciate that our body's own neurochemicals each had purpose and their flow had natural controls, controls that the chemical nicotine was able to completely bypass. Was it time for a nicotine induced dopamine "aaah" reward sensation upon learning the tragic news of the death of a close friend or loved one? Was it time to smoke a chemical that would diminish the flow of serotonin, a mood and critical anxiety busting neurochemical?

All that matter are the next few moments and each is entirely doable. The accomplishment induced dopamine "aaah" sensation resting just beyond that next challenge is not only yours to enjoy, it's "you," it's beautiful, and it's an honest message that this recovery is a keeper. You're coming home! There was always only one rule, no nicotine today!

Breathe deep, hug hard, live long,

John

Last edited by John (Gold) on 11 Jul 2009, 02:25, edited 2 times in total.

TrulyAri

13 Apr 2004, 11:36 #30

THIS IS ABSOLUTELY ONE OF THE BEST POSTS

ARI
19 DAYS OF FREEDOM