Reading and Growth

Roger (Gold)

23 Mar 2004, 12:52 #11

You don't have to be a newbie to follow the advice given. Reading is key as well as is,

One Day At A Time
Last edited by Roger (Gold) on 05 Jun 2013, 19:08, edited 1 time in total.

Angelicrosegonegreen1

23 Mar 2004, 17:59 #12

Well, well well!
I sure hope you are ready to answer all of these posts Roger. Thank you so much for that post. It was exactly what I needed to read. I know I am over the physical part but that psychological just keeps getting in the way! The way you described our ingrained habits we have formed and how we have to work at what we wish to attain really spoke to me.
I am really going to try to put more effort into my changes instead of just waiting for it to happen. I have felt better but you know how it is.........you just described it all. Thank you again. I think I will read your post many times.
Kathleen - Free and Healing for Twenty Days, 5 Hours and 34 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 1 Day and 1 Hour, by avoiding the use of 303 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $133.64.

Golddabler1

23 Mar 2004, 19:05 #13

Hi roger
I missed this classic post first time around,i do believe it is important to come here and keep my quit strong with education,being here allows me to live in the commonsense environment of people who are no longer active addicts and i believe that we become our environment or at least to some extent our environment influences us,i am confident in my quit and feel a great sense of comfort,but ironically active addiction seems a million miles away but at the same time it is only a puff away,i realise the bigger picture in your post , all the little rituals and all the false conceptions of smoking making us grown up and improving image have to be reversed,so it is not just giving up smoking it is surrendering all the little things that became part of us,as you say it became part of our identity and i suppose in the long run realising that the identity we chose was not the glamourous one that we fooled ourselves into actually helps recovery,and thankfully we have the opportunity to reinvent ourselves and forge a new improved identity,thanks for this post roger it has helped me see things at a deeper level again.
Rickdabler 1 year 2 weeks 7 hrs happily nicotine free.

PaulW

24 Mar 2004, 07:24 #14

This post is what I needed to read tonight. I have been trying to read at least twice a day, getting in half an hour a day. I know that I need reinforcement to keep this quit, and to move beyond "quitting" into more positive territory. The reading helps. The regularity of the reading helps more. I think it goes to that "balance" that you talk about. I need to remember that I'm an addict, all day, every day, not just once a week, or when I have time. And the best way to do that has been to keep in touch with my addicted self on a more or less regular schedule fo "checking in". Thanks to all for this wonderful educational tool.

CandidCandiSilver

04 May 2004, 07:37 #16

For Lynda . . . . .

Parker GOLD

12 Jun 2004, 02:48 #17

For all our newer members....

Read. Read. Read. The time you put into reading now will pay off during any tough moments that arise. During the early days of quitting, it simply is not possible to read too much.

ImageParker - 2 years

Rickrob53 Gold

02 Jul 2004, 07:00 #18

This site is the only exception to the saying "If its free, its too good to be true". Where else can we get (for FREE) all the education we need to claim our lives back!
Read. Read. Read. Learn. Learn. Learn.
Richard
21 weeks

Parker GOLD

20 Jul 2004, 03:34 #19

"READ, READ, READ & READ SOME MORE"