Reading and Growth

Roger (Gold)
Roger (Gold)

March 23rd, 2004, 12:52 pm #11

You don't have to be a newbie to follow the advice given. Reading is key as well as is,

One Day At A Time
Last edited by Roger (Gold) on June 5th, 2013, 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Angelicrosegonegreen1
Angelicrosegonegreen1

March 23rd, 2004, 5:59 pm #12

Well, well well!
I sure hope you are ready to answer all of these posts Roger. Thank you so much for that post. It was exactly what I needed to read. I know I am over the physical part but that psychological just keeps getting in the way! The way you described our ingrained habits we have formed and how we have to work at what we wish to attain really spoke to me.
I am really going to try to put more effort into my changes instead of just waiting for it to happen. I have felt better but you know how it is.........you just described it all. Thank you again. I think I will read your post many times.
Kathleen - Free and Healing for Twenty Days, 5 Hours and 34 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 1 Day and 1 Hour, by avoiding the use of 303 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $133.64.

Golddabler1
Golddabler1

March 23rd, 2004, 7:05 pm #13

Hi roger
I missed this classic post first time around,i do believe it is important to come here and keep my quit strong with education,being here allows me to live in the commonsense environment of people who are no longer active addicts and i believe that we become our environment or at least to some extent our environment influences us,i am confident in my quit and feel a great sense of comfort,but ironically active addiction seems a million miles away but at the same time it is only a puff away,i realise the bigger picture in your post , all the little rituals and all the false conceptions of smoking making us grown up and improving image have to be reversed,so it is not just giving up smoking it is surrendering all the little things that became part of us,as you say it became part of our identity and i suppose in the long run realising that the identity we chose was not the glamourous one that we fooled ourselves into actually helps recovery,and thankfully we have the opportunity to reinvent ourselves and forge a new improved identity,thanks for this post roger it has helped me see things at a deeper level again.
Rickdabler 1 year 2 weeks 7 hrs happily nicotine free.

PaulW
PaulW

March 24th, 2004, 7:24 am #14

This post is what I needed to read tonight. I have been trying to read at least twice a day, getting in half an hour a day. I know that I need reinforcement to keep this quit, and to move beyond "quitting" into more positive territory. The reading helps. The regularity of the reading helps more. I think it goes to that "balance" that you talk about. I need to remember that I'm an addict, all day, every day, not just once a week, or when I have time. And the best way to do that has been to keep in touch with my addicted self on a more or less regular schedule fo "checking in". Thanks to all for this wonderful educational tool.

John (Gold)
John (Gold)

March 30th, 2004, 9:44 pm #15

CandidCandiSilver
CandidCandiSilver

May 4th, 2004, 7:37 am #16

For Lynda . . . . .

Parker GOLD
Parker GOLD

June 12th, 2004, 2:48 am #17

For all our newer members....

Read. Read. Read. The time you put into reading now will pay off during any tough moments that arise. During the early days of quitting, it simply is not possible to read too much.

Parker - 2 years

Rickrob53 Gold
Rickrob53 Gold

July 2nd, 2004, 7:00 am #18

This site is the only exception to the saying "If its free, its too good to be true". Where else can we get (for FREE) all the education we need to claim our lives back!
Read. Read. Read. Learn. Learn. Learn.
Richard
21 weeks

Parker GOLD
Parker GOLD

July 20th, 2004, 3:34 am #19

"READ, READ, READ & READ SOME MORE"

GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)
GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)

August 13th, 2004, 1:36 pm #20

GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)
GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)

December 9th, 2004, 9:13 am #21

We want to caution our newest members to read here and learn as much as you can and not to be so quick to throw in quitting advice that you have picked up elsewhere--either at other sites or in your real world encounters. We want people to come to Freedom to first learn how to quit before they shift their attentions on how to teach people to quit. Although in truth, the real reason people should be here should always be to enforce his or her own personal quit even more than influencing others--each and every members quit and life depends on this goal. Any advice that is telling people that they must somehow shift their way of life in order to start or sustain a quit may not be accurate for most people.

The bottom line of quitting is, the sooner people realize that everything they could do as a smoker they can now do as an ex-smoker--the sooner they realize that there is life without smoking. They will also find out there may be many things that they can now do better without smoking and that life is basically better on many fronts from them having quit smoking. The faster people get back to their life--the sooner they will break triggers and habits and the sooner they will realize that they can do anything as an ex-smoker as long as they always remember to never take another puff!

Parker GOLD
Parker GOLD

December 18th, 2004, 9:33 pm #22

Read.... Read.... Read....

GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)
GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)

December 19th, 2004, 12:00 am #23

GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)
GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)

December 28th, 2004, 3:47 am #24

Joel's Library [/size]

John (Gold)
John (Gold)

January 3rd, 2005, 2:08 am #25

If you're not yet ready to read the instructions that came with your addiction then we'll still be here when you are. Please do not apply for membership to Freedom if you do not intend to put education, understanding and news skills to work, as you only get one membership per lifetime and just one puff, pinch, or chew and it's over.
Nicotine is just a chemical with an I.Q. of zero. It cannot plot, plan or conspire against you, is not some demon dwelling within, nor is it capable of friendship. That being said, you'll never be strong enough to harness or control it. It will continue to control you until such time as you decide to put your greatest asset to work -- your vastly superior intelligence.
Are you ready to go home? Is so, then let's get started! I'd recommend one full read of Joel's Library being sure not to skip chapter one (why we smoke) as it contains a host of rationalizations that will hopefully have you laughing at years of junkie thinking.
Millions of words but only one determining factor ... no nicotine today, Never Take Another Puff, Patch, Dip, Drink, ****, Lick or Chew! John (Gold x5)
Last edited by John (Gold) on June 5th, 2013, 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)
John (Gold)

January 7th, 2005, 6:58 am #26

We'll never be stronger than nicotine
but then we don't need to be as it is
simply a chemical with an I.Q. of zero!
Knowledge is power!
Last edited by John (Gold) on June 5th, 2013, 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Parker GOLD
Parker GOLD

January 19th, 2005, 11:50 pm #27

Read. Read. Read. The time you put into reading now will pay off during any tough moments that arise. During the early days of quitting, it simply is not possible to read too much.
Joel's Library [/size]

GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)
GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)

January 23rd, 2005, 9:46 pm #28

Joel's Library [/size]

Parker GOLD
Parker GOLD

March 3rd, 2005, 10:28 pm #29

Keep reading and learning about your addiction and the healing process.

JoeJFree Gold
JoeJFree Gold

March 27th, 2005, 9:30 am #30

Well, it's been about four months since this string was in view on the board.
Too long gone. The need for this advice and viewpoint is certainly still applicable.

Happy Reading!
"Education is THE KEY to unlock the Golden door to FREEDOM"
Quit being a quitter, Start LEARNING how to become an Ex-Smoker.

Long-Term Comfort and Peace of Mind will surely follow not far behind!

TiffQuit
TiffQuit

April 20th, 2005, 4:05 am #31

Joel's Library [/size]

Parker GOLD
Parker GOLD

June 2nd, 2005, 8:29 am #32

Joel's Library [/size]

GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)
GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)

June 16th, 2005, 1:28 am #33

Joel's Library [/size]

John (Gold)
John (Gold)

December 30th, 2005, 3:08 am #34

Joel's Library [/size]

John (Gold)
John (Gold)

January 8th, 2006, 12:15 pm #35

Free Quit Smoking Books,
Guides and Tips

• "Never Take Another Puff" - a 149 page .PDF quit smoking book by Joel Spitzer of Chicago, the Internet's leading authority on nicotine dependency recovery. Joel's free book is a wonderful collection 98 short quitting articles on almost every cessation topic imaginable.
  • "Nicotine Dependency Recovery" - an 8 page motivation and tips booklet in pdf format designed to move smokers from precontemplation to a quit attempt. It is intended for printing and distribution by physicians, hospitals, other health care providers, and by government, civic and other non-profit groups who are invited to add their name and logo to the cover.
  • PDF format (2.1 MB) | Word format (600KB 
  • "Freedom from Nicotine" - a 60 page quitting booklet in Word format.
  • "Joel's Library" - the online HTML version of Joel Spitzer's "Never Take Another Puff."
  • "Quit Smoking Tip Sheet" - an HTML version of Joel's top 18 quitting tips."
Last edited by John (Gold) on December 20th, 2013, 2:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.