Reaching Out to Smokers

John (Gold)
John (Gold)

December 25th, 2003, 11:52 pm #1

Reaching Out to Smokers

You've grown to realize the value of education and understanding in helping take most of the mystery and much of the cold out of quitting cold and you'd like to share what you've learned with smokers where you live, but how? This thread is for sharing tips and ideas on ways to help open the eyes and minds of as many of our brothers and sisters still in bondage as possible.

In my mind there was no crime in us trying to look more adult around our peers as we unknowingly sucked one of the world's most captivating substances into our lungs and minds. If there was a crime it was committed by a society that didn't let us know what we were getting ourselves into and that then stood by and watched as we spent years, decades or even a lifetime wandering around in frustrated dependency ignorance and darkness, while never once reaching out to offer meaningful recovery assistance.

I daily encounter smokers alone feeding their addiction and each time I do I think of my three decades spent in dependency darkness. When it happens I reach into my wallet or pocket and pull out one of knowbutts' (Gold) wonderful cards. As I hand it to them my face wears a mixed smile of concern and hope. I normally don't need to say a single word. I sometimes hear a "thank you" as I'm walking away. When I do my smile deepens as the thought of "just maybe" fills my mind.

The slogans knowbutts has chosen for her cards are the best I've yet seen and I'm almost never without one. At any counter selling tobacco products I ask one question before handing them a card. "When someone is standing here buying a pack while badly coughing -- which as you know is often the first sign of lung cancer -- and you next hear them proclaim 'God, I wish I could quit,' where do you send them for help?"

Below is a link to a .PDF file of Knowbutts' cards that is ready for printing on your printer or that you can copy to a floppy and carry to your local printer to get professionally printed and cut on hard stock. I just can't imagine being without them. Thanks Knowbutts!

John (Gold)
John (Gold)

December 28th, 2003, 10:20 pm #2

Your New Year's Letter to the Editor
Below is a sample letter to the editor that you are free to modify and email to your local newspaper editor. Remember, the fewer words the greater the likelihood it will get printed. To locate your local paper's website and editor's email address simply go to your favorite search engine (mine is www.google.com) and type in the name of the paper and your town or city or visit http://www.newsdirectory.com/news/press/

Dear Editor:
In that New Year's Day is the biggest quit smoking day of the year I write to extend an invitation to all smoking readers to explore the amazing world of online nicotine dependency recovery.
I quit smoking on [enter your quit date] and the education and group support available at WhyQuit.com, a free cold turkey quitting forum, helped sustain me in realizing my dream of at last breaking free. I'm confident it can help you too.
Sincerely,
Name
Street Address, City, State, Zip
Telephone Number (often required for confirmation)
E-mail Address

Starshinegrl Gold
Starshinegrl Gold

January 26th, 2006, 6:41 pm #3

Reaching Out to Dippers, too!