Quitting With A Positive Attitude

Quitting With A Positive Attitude

Roger (Gold)

12 Jan 2003, 14:54 #1

"There Is Nothing Either Good Or Bad, Hard Or Easy,
It's How We Choose To Think That Makes It So"
~William Shakespeare~

When you read the above quote, think about the first thought that came to your mind. Was it one that made a contradictive statement or one that opened up your mind for potential provocative thinking and acceptance of this universal law?

Throughout history it has been universally understood how we picture things that we like or dislike or how we perceive ourselves handling them, is most likely how they will turn out. Why do you suppose that is? Most experts would suggest we have already predetermined that within our subconscious mind by our fears and trepidations. By entering a preconceived thought in our subconscious, we unknowingly set the tone or program our subconscious as to how a particular task is handled by us. There are many things we cannot change the end result of. We can however control our actions and reactions, leading to a more pleasant or difficult result based on our attitude and perception as to how we handle the task.

For the remainder of this thread I am going to be talking about how we can use and develop our attitude to assist us as we travel our journey to get from Point A.....Actively feeding our addiction.....To Point B.....Being a comfortable x-smoker in control of our addiction.
"Whether You Believe You Can Do A Particular Task,
Or Whether You Believe You Can't,
You Are Absolutely Right Either Way You Think"

~Henry Ford~
You might ask the following question. How do I go about changing my preconceived attitude I have about quitting smoking and How do I use this positive attitude and approach when I begin my quit?

First of all, make the decision to quit! Set a quit date. Remember, procrastination has been the destroyer of many dreams and goals.

From the moment you make that decision, begin to look forward to your quit day with excitement along with the attitude you can do it. Focus your energy and thoughts on the positive benefits you will receive after you cease all use of nicotine and cigarettes. Visualize your self as being healthier, happier, less stressed, having lower blood pressure, smelling better than an ashtray or just be accepted by society in a more acceptable light. The benefits are many. Make a list of all the reason and benefits you hope to accomplish. Do not focus on thoughts that emphasize your quit is going to be difficult, even if you have quit in the past and failed. Refrain from visualizing yourself banging your head on the wall or floor as you deal with withdrawal symptoms. Do not picture yourself being chained to a wall in a spare room or basement. Look at the positive side. Remember the old saying, every cloud has a silver lining. Always find somthing good and beneficial to focus on.

As your quit day approaches, begin to intensify the images you are placeing in your mind. Visualize yourself as a comfortable x-smoker. See yourself doing activities and enjoying them in places where you cannot smoke. Imagine doing physical activities much better than you have in a long time due to your enhanced breathing capabilities since you've quit. Daydream about getting together with family or friends and not having to go outside to feed your addiction. See yourself as a very proud and accomplished x-smoker. See yourself with brighter and cleaner looking teeth and clearer and cleaner skin. However your life is now, reinforce your thoughts how much better it will be in just a short period of time. Remind yourself frequently how excited you are being so close to the day you finally take control of your life back from your addiction. Do this visualization process each day and the last thing you think about before you fall asleep at night.

Your quit day is here. You are excited but apprehensive at the same time. Just keep telling yourself you can do this and are very excited about the rewards to follow. After waking, get up and take a nice long hot shower and get dressed. You will realize your life is different. The routine has changed. Frequently remind yourself it is for the better. You will think about having cigarettes. It is natural thought process as they have been a part of you for so long. Just part your lips and make a big smile and keep moving on. Try that right now. Smile as big as you can. Did that make you feel better and possibly laugh a bit? It should have. Remember that as a smile can be very good healing therapy. Time will pass and soon a half a day is gone. You have survived on excitement, adrenalin and determination.
Understand it is just a matter of time before a crave comes your way. You already know from prior reading at Freedom a crave only lasts 3-4 minutes. You can handle it. You begin to count....one-thousand one, one-thousand two....while at the same time you are taking deep breaths. Soon you relax, it is over and a kind of a calmness comes over you. You pat yourself on the back because you survived it. Your brain releases a measured amount of dopamine and you get a natural high. Perhaps the first naturally induced one since you began smoking years ago. Your confidence level adjusts up a notch or two. You smile and tell yourself.......That wasn't so bad. Bring them on, I can handle them!

If your symptoms of withdrawal are more intense than the one I describe above or they begin to come at you in waves as they do at times for some people. Don't panic. Try to relax and deal with it. Remember they don't last forever. If you do find them difficult to deal with it's because your negative side, junkie mind, has already began to analyze this withdrawal thing in depth. Yes, your own worst enemy, your junkie mind panics and begins to place survival thoughts in your mind. It begins to see the grand illusion of the perfect smoke. Just one to tide you over. You can actually feel the smoke laden nicotine enter your mouth, throat, lungs, and finally the 4000 plus deadly chemicals are being distributed throughout your every cell and organ. You begin to vividly imagine the relaxation. It is time to wake up!
This is the point you need to take control of the situation back from those negative thoughts and feelings. Begin immediately to muster up all the positive affirmations you can think of. Begin repeating to yourself any one of the following affirmations or some others you have written down prior to this occurrence. Read them aloud. Say them with conviction and passion.
I don't need nicotine too keep on living.
I don't need to smoke to feel alive.

What I am feeling is my body and mind
healing from years of substance abuse.
This is a temporary feeling and will pass.
I can and will live without nicotine.
I do not need this drug to survive nor do I
want to administer this drug to my system anymore.
I am happy I quit despite how I feel at the present.
The benefits from quitting far outweigh the
symptoms during my temporary adjustment period.
This will get much better as promised by the
ones who traveled this journey before me.
I have faith in that.
Minute by minute or hour by hour you will you get through it and the day will finally end. Breathe a deep breath of nicotine free oxygen. A warm sensation may come over you. You reflect on your first day and fully understand the power of this chemical and its addictive qualities that has kept its grip on you for so many years. Today you won the battle. Again, make sure you place a huge smile on your face. Tell yourself how proud you are of you today. Pat yourself hard on your back for succeeding this day. You well deserve it.

Before you finally let your conscious lights go out and give way to your subconscious, understand it is imperative to reinforce the process again by placing the images of yourself as a comfortable x-smoker in your mind again. See yourself as you want to be. Repeat the imagery you have been doing each day prior. Visualize yourself as a successful x-smoker in control. Proclaim to yourself vocally how you are looking forward to tomorrow so you can defeat your addiction one more day no matter what it throws your way. Utter the following proclamation,
"I Can Do This One Day At A Time, Just for Today.
Tomorrow, I Will Deal With Tomorrow."

This imaging and positive affirmations really do work. Experts have concluded, by surrounding your mind with positive imaging, creates within your subconscious, positive attitudes. This is achieved by placing positive mental pictures of yourself being the way you want to be and doing the things you want to do. These visualizations cause your mind to work towards achieving these images, even while you sleep. This practice needs to happen daily with each crave and before bedtime. It works one day at a time.

You might ask the question, will my attitude help my symptoms of withdrawal be lessened? Probably not. Although I do believe it will make it easier for you to accept them and move on sooner. Can you successfully quit with out all of the attitude stuff? Sure you can. However, I will go on to say, I believe the time it takes for you to find the comfort you seek and accept your new life as an x-smoker, without needing the crutch of nicotine and cigarettes, will happen sooner with a positive attitude and approach to your quit, rather than waiting for your attitude to adjust with time. Here is another a very good point to consider for those of you already working on a quit. If you are struggling with physical or psychological withdrawal or having difficulties putting your quit and new life into the proper perspective, the art of practicing positive affirmations daily can help you to turn that around. As your attitude develops, you find comfort and develop more confidence in yourself, allowing you to believe, you will have the ability to remain quit and never take another puff.
"Change How You Think And You Can Change Your Life"

One Day At A Time, You Can If You Think You Can 
Roger
Gold Club
Last edited by Roger (Gold) on 10 Feb 2013, 14:28, edited 9 times in total.

janetd (GOLD)

13 Jan 2003, 01:16 #2

Wonderful post, dear Roger! Smiling in the face of adversity! I love it! Certain wrinkles have deepened since I quit from smiling so much. But that's a good thing, isn't it?

yqs, Janet Image

Lena (SILVER)

13 Jan 2003, 01:41 #3

Hi Roger, What a great post. I am so happy you are here. Thank you for your insight. Your quit friend Lena 5 weeks 3 days without a puff!!!

valeriescleanGOLD

13 Jan 2003, 02:29 #4

Image Great Post Roger! I needed this today! I agree 110%!
Valerie
1 week, 4 days, 9 hours 27 minutes of VICTORY!

Joel

13 Jan 2003, 07:07 #5

Hello Roger:

I actually have an attitude quote I sometimes use in clinics. It is that if you quit with a lousy attitude you are pretty much assured to have a lousy time when first quitting.

If on the other hand you quit with a good attitude, well, you may still have a lousy time in the beginning, but at least you will have a good attitude about it.

As you may have guessed, this insight doesn't help a whole lot in the first few days. But it usually gets a chuckle. The more important advice on this issue is the string Acknowledge the negative--but dwell on the positive. Thanks for your sharing of insights here.

Joel
Last edited by Joel on 02 May 2010, 15:28, edited 1 time in total.

Parker GOLD

13 Jan 2003, 09:04 #6

Roger, I have to believe that someone out there lurking is going to set a quit date because of this fine piece of writing. Someone is going to read this and believe that it is possible for them to be successful at quitting. What a gift you have given with this!

ImageParker - 7 months

Roanne

14 Jan 2003, 04:53 #7

Thanks for the post, Roger. I read an article in Joel's library about this very same topic when I was quit about three days, and it really made a difference. I like to think of it as "An attitude of gratitude." If I treat this as a good thing it makes all the difference in the world as to how well I handle my quit. Thanks again!

One month, one week, 20 hours, 54 minutes and 8 seconds. 971 cigarettes not smoked, saving $218.65. Life saved: 3 days, 8 hours, 55 minutes.

John (Gold)

14 Jan 2003, 06:13 #8

Thanks for the read Roger : ) Love that Ford quote! Before we dove into these hundreds of other cessation issues and before I received that first email for a guy named Joel, I was a one issue type guy - attitude, attitude, attitude! Back then I even believed it could not only overcome my own ignorance of the law of addiction but that it was the most important thing of all in quitting. But then how could I believe in something that I had never really known - the law of addiction? It's amazing the way ignorance works! It truly is bliss and can also deadly as relapse was the rule of the day before Joel arrived carrying the big picture.

Like you, I still deeply believe that we are what we think! Put that together with a detailed understanding of the law of addiction, and a bit of reinforcement now and then and I think it's highly likely that I'll Never Take Another Puff! Thanks Roger!
Breathe deep, hug hard, live long, John : )

ladygrace

16 Jan 2003, 06:13 #9

I love it, THE ATTITUDE OF GRATITUDE. I'm posting that on my PC to keep me ever mindful. Thank you for the insight Roger. All of you'll are the greatest! I come here everyday to receive my dose of motivation and inspiration!!!!

Proud to be free for 21+ days, and forever counting!!!

BillW Gold.ffn

25 Jan 2003, 23:43 #10

Hi Roger!

Absolutely right! My own quit finally blossomed when I decided to change my attitude.
If you decide quitting will be easy.....
I suppose its possible that you could be wrong.
If you decide quitting is hard,
There is no doubt that you will be absolutely right!
BillW Eleven months, two weeks, three days. 10532 cigarettes not smoked, saving $2,080.08. Life saved: 5 weeks, 1 day, 13 hours, 40 minutes.