Quitting With A Positive Attitude

johnnynonic

29 Sep 2008, 07:29 #41

"Weather You Believe You Can Do A Particular Task, Or Weather You Believe You Can't, You Are Absolutely Right Either Way You Think"
~Henry Ford~
"Nothing is particularly hard if you divide it into small jobs. "
Focus on Quitting for One hour at a time

Last edited by johnnynonic on 02 May 2010, 15:52, edited 1 time in total.

Joel

08 Nov 2008, 05:55 #42

From above:

Hello Roger:

I actually have an attitude quote I sometimes use in clinics. It is that if you quit with a lousy attitude you are pretty much assured to have a lousy time when first quitting.

If on the other hand you quit with a good attitude, well, you may still have a lousy time in the beginning, but at least you will have a good attitude about it.

As you may have guessed, this insight doesn't help a whole lot in the first few days. But it usually gets a chuckle. The more important advice on this issue is the string Acknowledge the negative--but dwell on the positive. Thanks for your sharing of insights here.

Joel

Melicious

28 Aug 2009, 19:17 #43

Excellent reading for me today - thank you!

Joe J free

28 Aug 2009, 19:42 #44

"If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right."
"I can't quit" ... or ... "I won't quit"?

"One of the greatest discoveries a man makes, one of his great surprises,
is to find he can do what he was afraid he couldn't do."

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking.
"
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal. "
"Nothing is particularly hard if you divide it into small jobs. "

All of the above phrases in black are quotes of
~Henry Ford~

dixieanny

29 Aug 2009, 00:17 #45

I have read these links here before but I am so glad to see them again. Being an ex-smoker is such a wonderful journey privileged to read these sites and respond to them.

Joe J free

06 Oct 2010, 12:05 #46

Copying one of Roger's previous posts:

As a long time active nicotine addict of over 35 years, I initially did not see my quitting process as a positive experience. Based on all my previous failures trying to gain control over my addcition, I would automatically conjure up, within my mind, all the negative images stored there from previous quit attempts. After each failure, I feared them more and more. They appeared to grow in size and just kept getting larger. Those fears coupled with negative thoughts and images had more control over me than my addiction to nicotine did. The reason for this is very simple. I failed to,
When I reached the 24 hour mark without any nicotine entering my body for the first time in over 35 years, I finally was able to see beyond the dark cloud of addiction that wrapped my brain for so long. I caught a fleeting glimpse of a silver lining that resided beyond active addiction. It was then I understood my journey for what it really was. A positive outcome for a negative situation.
If your thoughts are mostly negative regarding what and how you feel, you can turn the tables on them by developing a positive outlook towards your quit. Change the way you think and you will change your life.
This can be done the same way you quit.
One Day At A Time.

tagsgirl

11 Oct 2010, 17:24 #47

Greetings,
 I read the posts from 2003 to now in 2010. It is a timeless story and I appreciate it as I do the many others. A few thoughts.... I went through a lot of emotional growth the past year. When I quit smoking I also learned that REAL emotions and facing them was my biggest lesson yet to be learned. I did not know at the time but the reward was as huge as the physical rewards of being an ex. I had to adjust my attitude hourly at times and learning to do so has brought me to a me that I really like. Just as you "un-learn" a user's habits, you can replace them with positive thoughts and actions. Do not underestimate the value of incorporating this into your new life as an ex.

If I was not dwelling in this skin I would not recognize myself. There seems to be a recognizable likeness, from somewhere long ago but still better, happier and more in control than the me I have known in decades. Things that were dark, deceiving and controlling seem to have been extracted from my inner self and the basic truths left in their place. These truths are few but prominent, clear and comforting placed squarely in the center of my being. These truths consist of the following:
Image~Life's journey-I have no place to hide nor do I want to. I do not fear it and can readily adjust to whatever it brings me with grace and without a drug. (FFN taught me to live without a crutch or addiction)
Image~Health-I must face whatever disease I may encounter as everyone else before me has. I choose what I fuel and pollute my body with. I can choose good everytime, I control my body, it does not control me. (FFN taught me to accept what I cannot change and to VALUE my health even more, for me, my family and in honor of those who lost their fight)
Image~Love - it is the greatest gift and I have the power to give it to anyone I choose. Sometimes it saves others. And it is felt most when being given, not received. (FFN shows love for the addicted by being here, supporting us and showing us how to give back)
Image~Knowledge - I know that the important things in life cannot be bought, they must be felt, given, lived, shared and cherished. (FFN has given me the keys to living my life the way it was intended and probably  a lot more of it!)
  These are the things that drive me. Not an addiction. Not a habit, not a lie. You see, attitude is integral to recovery and healing, choose yours and watch it grow....
Thank you freedom folks for helping me get here.
Terri