Quitting can be a very lonely experience

Caninegold asst

30 Jul 2006, 02:44 #21

I can remember this feeling the first week.....it helped me to take a walk, do some chores and find a comedy to watch that evening.
I also went to the library here and found good information on the whys and the reality that this too shall pass......as long as I didn't take a puff I was ahead of the world around me.

You can do this!!!!!!

Lianne.........

Sal GOLD.ffn

31 Jan 2007, 08:57 #22

From above:

As you encounter others in your travels through life, let them know there is help out here for them. To help return the support, always be encouraging to people quitting and always make sure they understand to stay off smoking they need to never take another puff!

Joel

Sal GOLD.ffn

13 Oct 2007, 08:31 #23

Quitting is a worthwhile experience!

The adjustment period is temporary and the benefits are many.

Comfort will evolve and life without nicotine and smokes will become natural and easy.

That is why you see so many longterm quitters at Freedom lending support and giving a hand and celebrating themselves and everyone else who's quit.

Always remember why you quit.
Caring for your quit

Never take another puff, one day at a time.

ImageSal
Goldx4

Sonja

13 Oct 2007, 17:26 #24

I come back to this post often...even put it in my notebook. The first month of quitting I was surrounded by my "fans." Friends & family who had spent years trying to get me to quit. Now they are quiet, content in the knowledge that I won't smoke again, more confident in me than I am in myself some days.

I didn't quit alone & I still need other quitters to keep me on track. With Freedom I am never alone in my quit...I am able to come here & get some words of encouragement of congratulations, or give a boost to someone who just made the committment. Thanks.
Sonja
2 months, three weeks, three days, NTAP

swrld

23 Oct 2007, 10:54 #25

"Quitting can be a very lonely experience"

That is exactly why this place is so important. It is the ONE place where others understand what Never Take Another Puff really means. I know I am not alone and I have support and there are people who understand.

Thank you!
Kristi
3 weeks and almost 6 days

JoeJFree Gold

08 Jan 2008, 13:20 #26

I hope this is a good place to tie in another similarly themed and important post - When no one else cares

grandmaroux

25 Feb 2009, 04:02 #27

It does seem lonely at times. But I am sure it will get better and I do recall feeling lonely and left out when I was standing outside smoking a cigarette at 30 below!. This feeling will go away too as long as I "Never Take Another Puff"

FreedomNicotine

10 Nov 2009, 14:46 #28

From above:

I saw in another thread where a few members felt a real benefit in knowing that they were not alone in the reaction that they were having in their quits. This thread here discusses the phenomena on how quitting in a group can ease some of the fears and lonliness encountered by some people when they are quitting smoking. There is a wide range of feelings that are actually normal reactions to quitting. But normal does not mean that every one gets the specific reactions, just that it is normal for some people to get the reactions.

I sometimes get concerned when a person is having a tough time a few weeks into a quit, comes on board and other members respond that they are having the same reaction and then, sometimes go overboard and say everyone gets these kind of reactions. This can scare people who are first thinking of quitting or just a few days into their quits into thinking that they had better give up now for they begin to think that it is normal that they are going to be having these kind of problems weeks later and they feel that they don't have the fight to get through this extended time period.

So for clarification there are a few points I want to make here. First, the thoughts that can happen are not usually as strong or problematic as the thoughts that people get in the first few days of a quit. Second, is that while some other people may have similar thoughts at some times, that there are also other people who do not and in fact, depending on the reactions involved, it may be that most people are not going to have the same reaction. Normal means things might happen to a few people, not that things will happen to all people.

There is only one thing that is normal and applies to everyone. That is that it is normal to expect to stay permanently in control and smoke free as long as a person sticks with the commitment he or she made to never take another puff!

Joel

Related videos:

Video Title Dial Up Migh Speed MP3 Length Created
Telling others that you have quit smoking 2.53mb 7.58mb 4.07mb 08:57 10/17/06
Talking to others about not smoking 5.60mb 16.8mb 6.92mb 15:13 11/19/06
Dealing with people who try to undercut your quit 6.52mb 19.5mb 8.05mb 17:42 11/12/06

momof8

22 Sep 2010, 03:00 #29

Quitting really does feel lonely at times.  I think its important for me to remember that I did this for me, not anyone else.  So it really is all about me.
But I do wish others understood more of what I have been going through. 
I am thankful though for all the support and encouragement that I have found here. 

tagsgirl

11 Oct 2010, 15:18 #30

The loneliness is really for me the supressed manner in which you have to go through this. I have had highs so high I wanted to shout how free I felt. I also have wanted to be like a four year old (probably was) and tell EVERYONE that I just quit smoking. You know like a little girl who got a new toy and tells every adult in the store? I feel like a got a bright, shiny new toy. I know I did give myself and my family a wonderful gift. I enjoy it everyday and they will too. I guess I am just the one who knows how much it cost (work invested) to obtain and the cost to secure! You appreciate things more when you have to work for them I guess! My friends & most of my family still smoke and I really can't tell them how wonderful it has been to be free. I could go on and on. They would think I am being fake or something. I tell my husband but after a while I have to give him a break!

You know what? I would never want to join the actively addicted again. With Freedom I am not alone, the folks here are my quit family and the mentors are as strict and caring as good parents should be. We may be alone in our physical lives but I have found this network more than adequate and a blessing. Thanks for being here!