Quitters Most Likely to Use "Cold Turkey" Strategy

Joel Spitzer

08 Aug 2013, 19:54 #1

Gallup Poll releases survey discussing how former smokers quit smoking.

The quarter of Americans who have successfully quit smoking, when asked to name the strategies or methods they used to quit, are most likely to attribute their success to just deciding to quit "cold turkey." Smaller percentages of reformed smokers name willpower, support from family and friends and prayer, use of the nicotine patch, ceasing to be around people who smoke, using chewing gum or candy, and using an electronic cigarette.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/163763/smoke ... times.aspx

Related video from Gallup Poll:

http://www.gallup.com/video/163826/near ... urkey.aspx

Related WhyQuit.com videos:

How did the people you know quit smoking?

Cold turkey quitting

Cold turkey quitting defined

Is cold turkey the only way to quit?

My first encounter with NRT

Comparing quits with others

Why Freedom is a cold turkey site?
Last edited by Joel Spitzer on 08 Aug 2013, 19:59, edited 2 times in total.

Joel Spitzer

08 Aug 2013, 21:44 #2

For links to resources discussing cold turkey quitting as contrasted to other quitting aids, visit the page [font='TIMES-ROMAN', TIMES, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', SERIF]The Limitations of the use of Nicotine Replacement Products[/font]

topend aussie

12 Aug 2013, 01:36 #3

Paraphrasing from the Video;

"Unfortunately the advice was that there's no magic bullet.....
they quit cold turkey."

Maybe he should have said, there is a magic bullet and it's free, it's called cold turkey!

Joel Spitzer

12 Aug 2013, 17:01 #4

"[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]Maybe he should have said, there is a magic bullet and it's free, it's called cold turkey!"[/font]

Couldn't agree more. 

I thought of another article that I believe deserves to be included in this string.

From the string "What ever you do don't quit cold turkey!"

Whatever you do don't quit cold turkey!

Most medical professionals believe that the way to quit smoking is to use pharmacological aids. They think that pharmacological aids are an effective tool for smoking cessation. Why do they believe this? They believe it because almost all of the smoking professionals of the world tell them that they work. Even the Surgeon General of the United States says that they work. If almost all world experts believe that they work, and the Surgeon General says that they work, well then they must really work. Right?

Well, I look at it like this. Lets say I see a published story come out that says a specific pill prevents colds in 100% of the cases in human trials. Then another study verifies it. In fact, every expert in the world comes out and says colds no longer exist -- the pill has eradicated them.

But most people I knew who took this miracle pill still got colds. Worse than that, I took the pill myself and all of my friends who were on the pill kept giving the cold to me. Pretty soon I would dismiss those studies and no matter how many times I see it I would not believe it. Sooner or later I would have to believe my own eyes and ears, basically my own instincts, more than expert opinion.

I have seen people use the argument of who should they believe, the Surgeon General of the United States or me. I somehow get the idea that people think that the Surgeon General is a person who has spent years and decades working with nicotine addicts. That somehow being an expert in smoking cessation is a prerequisite for being the Surgeon General.

I have been running stop smoking clinics since 1976. Back in 1976 I told my second group that they were nicotine addicts. If the people in my 1976 clinics were skeptical and wrote the Surgeon General and asked him if it were true that nicotine was a drug addiction he would have answered no it was not.

It was clearly spelled out in the 1964 Surgeon General's Report that cigarette smoking was not an addiction. In the report of the Surgeon General back in 1979 the Surgeon General was starting to say that maybe it was an addiction, but still had put the emphasis on the habit of smoking being the primary problem. In 1988 the Surgeon General finally issued a report stating once and for all that nicotine was an addictive substance.

In all of the programs I did from 1976 through 1987 I was constantly criticized and attacked for saying that cigarette smokers were drug addicts but I had too much first hand contact with smokers trying to quit that was making it abundantly clear that the Surgeon General was wrong. So I accepted the fact that the Surgeon General and most of the experts of the world were not going to agree with me. For eleven years I was wrong that smoking was an addiction because the Surgeon General said I was wrong yet today I am no longer wrong on this fact.

The same thing is happening now when it comes to issues like the effectiveness of all of the quitting aids available today. The Surgeon General and most of the world experts say that these products increase success and that people should not quit cold turkey. Again, I have still have too much first hand contact with people who are trying to quit using these products as well as too much contact with people who are actually quitting and succeeding without their use. It is still all too obvious that in real world settings these products do not increase success and that people have a much greater chance of success by disregarding the experts advice.

So I think I am going to just take a wait and see attitude on what the Surgeon General will say ten years or twenty years from now on what is the most effective way to quit smoking. Maybe he or she will have come around by then, maybe not. But I know one thing for sure. That all of the people who decided to follow my advice on how to quit, and then stay committed in the interim to the advice that I gave them on how to remain smoke free, that all of these people will still be successful ex-smokers.

My advice to them, that is so controversial today, is simply that to quit smoking and to stay smoke free is no more complicated than just knowing to Never Take Another Puff!
Last edited by Joel Spitzer on 13 Aug 2013, 12:50, edited 1 time in total.

Joel Spitzer

15 Aug 2013, 15:08 #5

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 2829380969
How do most smokers stop smoking? A new Gallup Poll found that 48 times as many successful ex-smokers credit cold turkey for their success as credit nicotine gum. 

http://www.gallup.com/poll/163763/smoke ... times.aspx

But it's actually far worse. If you add up all poll responses falling under the generally accepted definition of cold turkey (abrupt and complete cessation of a drug without use of quitting medications or procedures) the percentage of cold turkey quitters skyrockets to at least 75 percent.

An excited Joel Spitzer - WhyQuit's education director - created a video in response to the the poll:   Quitters Most Likely to Use "Cold Turkey" Strategy

"Whenever I was dealing with anybody when it came to understanding how people quit smoking I said, 'if you want to find out how to quit, the successful way to quit, talk to people you know who quit smoking,'" suggests Joel. 

Regarding the new Gallup Poll, "It's a study I've been looking for for decades," notes Joel. "When they looked at former smokers and ask them how they quit, 48 percent of those who had successfully quit smoking had done so by cold turkey." 

"If you actually go and add the numbers up, not just the 48 percent that's said they were cold turkey, but other methods that were mentioned, that if you really look at them, they are methods that look like they didn't use any quitting aids. They had other things motivating them start, so they weren't called cold turkey quitters." 

"But if you look at their techniques, they were cold turkey quitters. So if you want to go at add those numbers in too, you see the number becomes even much, much higher. But still, the real significance here is, the #1 way that former smokers say that they quit smoking was cold turkey, which is wonderful to see finally," says Joel.

"Overwhelmingly, the method identified by ex-smokers as most effective for quitting was "cold turkey," wrote Boston University School of Public Health professor Michael Siegel, MD in his August 13 blog.

"It is very clear that despite the findings of clinical trials, when you examine the question on a population basis, cold turkey quitting is the most effective strategy and the "recommended," "FDA-approved" quitting methods are not particularly useful," notes Professor Siegel.

"What does this mean? It demonstrates what I've been arguing for months: that although clinical trials have found that NRT and drugs are effective, the absolute cessation rates are dismally low. Thus, these approaches cannot be said to be "effective" strategies for smoking cessation on a population basis." 

"It also demonstrates that most clinical trials results are meaningless because they involve not just NRT or drugs but intensive intervention involving multiple medical visits, assessments, counseling, etc," wrote Professor Siegel. "When used in real-life settings, these products are not nearly as effective. And of course, that is what matters most, not the clinical trial results." 

Link to Dr. Siegel's blog: http://tobaccoanalysis.blogspot.com/201 ... ey-is.html

"I didn't see anything in the news about this," notes Joel Spitzer. "I haven't seen anything in a normal search engines I use on a regular basis, on smoking and nicotine and addiction. Nothing, nothing! I haven't seen a word about this in the media, and it looks like this has been out for a few days now."

"I've got to tell you, that if this Gallup Poll was commissioned, and it showed that some pharmaceutical product was #1 on the list, oh my God, this thing would have been blasted on every news station. This would be in every newspaper. This would be all over the media right now," asserts Joel. "Right now, you can't find it. It's not there for anyone to see." 

"This is telling," suggests Joel. "It goes to show you that unless there's a way of making money out of this, this is a public health issue, unless there's a way that someone is going to make a big bucks out of a result, you just don't see the result."

The bottom line? After nearly four decades of the nicotine gum and patch being the cornerstone of U.S. quit smoking policy, 94 percent of successful quitters quit without them.

This Gallop Poll shows why U.S. government assertions such as those appearing on the just revamped SmokeFree.gov website are so disturbing. There, it's asserted that "most people who quit don't quit cold turkey on their own" and that "medications can double your chances of quitting for good." 

Clearly both assertions are false. What possible motivation could U.S. health officials have for actually lying to smokers and discouraging their natural quitting instincts? 

As Professor Siegel notes in his August 12 blog, the pharmaceutical industry helps fund CDC research (http://tobaccoanalysis.blogspot.com/201 ... -from.html).

Also, ten percent of the FDA's budget is paid by the pharmaceutical industry by way of drug approval user fees, an eye-popping $1.2 billion during 2012. 

This Gallup Poll suggests that failure of the CDC, NCI and FDA to study and share the keys to successful abrupt nicotine cessation, and failure to support and encourage smart turkey quitting has, since 1984, likely cost millions of smokers their lives.

More than 400,000 annual smoking related deaths, when will U.S. health leadership at last step forward? To quote from the 1983 "Basic Text of Narcotics Anonymous," "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results." 

If you pray, please pray for honest and wise health leadership, that's willing to speak truth to economic power and muscle. 

This link is to a permanent WhyQuit page documenting the Gallop Poll's methods for quitting smoking question: http://whyquit.com/studies/Gallup_Poll_July_2013.html
[font='LUCIDA GRANDE', TAHOMA, VERDANA, ARIAL, SANS-SERIF]Like ·  · Share

[/font]
Last edited by Joel Spitzer on 15 Aug 2013, 16:37, edited 1 time in total.

Joel Spitzer

16 Aug 2013, 12:40 #6

Another new video related to the Gallup Survey:

"Whatever you do, don't quit cold turkey"
Last edited by Joel Spitzer on 21 Nov 2013, 14:51, edited 1 time in total.

jhopk

20 Aug 2013, 10:42 #7

I found these stats very interesting.  If 24% of the smokers say they don't want to quit, but only 12% say they never made a serious attempt to quit, then by this focus group half of smokers who say they don't want to quit have failed at least 1 serious attempt to quit.  Listen to the majority of former smokers all over the country, and quit cold turkey, with will-power, and support! (and this includes a rather significant % of 'other', and 'no opinion').

For those skeptical about the validity of the poll, there's information about the nature and process of the poll at the end of the article, and a link for an adobe file which has additional information including the exact questions of the poll, the numbers of respondents, and over 50 years worth of poll results.  I thought the trends were interesting.

Joel Spitzer

20 Aug 2013, 13:00 #8

"[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]If 24% of the smokers say they don't want to quit, but only 12% say they never made a serious attempt to quit, then by this focus group half of smokers who say they don't want to quit have failed at least 1 serious attempt to quit. "[/font][font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]
[/font]
[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]The string [/font]Can we help a person quit when they are pretty sure they don't want to quit? touches on how many people who say they don't want to quit often find that they have more of a desire to stop once they understand more about why they really smoke. It is hard for smokers to say or think that they want to quit when they have so many false perceptions of the "benefits" they believe they gain from smoking--things like being more productive, having more energy, and being calmer.

The video "Smoking Benefits?" discusses these false beliefs, as well as the videos The fear of quitting smoking"I'll be a nervous wreck forever if I quit smoking" and "I'll never be as productive again if I quit smoking"

It is amazing but now three weeks after the result of the survey, I have yet to see or hear a single word in any media discussing this Gallup poll--anywhere. Not in any news releases, television or radio coverage, and not a single word about it written at any single quit smoking or tobacco control website that I looked at other than the discussions John and I started at one group of professionals in tobacco control that basically went unacknowledged by most members.

Has any member here seen any word of the survey in any local media in your areas?

Joel

Judy Anderson

20 Aug 2013, 22:14 #9

I have not seen any word of this survey in my local media, or anywhere except for here for that matter. On my next day off I will try to figure out how to get this information out in my area. It surely shows the power the tobacco companies have ... not good.
1, month, 4 weeks,10 hours, 11 minutea without nicotine
1748 horrible cigarettes not smoked
$786.75 saved
dedicated to NTAP
Judy
The bottom line? After nearly four decades of the nicotine gum and patch being the cornerstone of U.S. quit smoking policy, 94 percent of successful quitters quit without them.
Last edited by Judy Anderson on 20 Aug 2013, 23:26, edited 1 time in total.

Joel Spitzer

20 Aug 2013, 23:18 #10

I am afraid it is not just the tobacco companies who are exerting influences here. Pharmaceutical companies have a lot to lose if this information is understood and they have a higher level of credibility with health care professionals.

This is why I hope that all of our members and readers share this survey information with their health care providers--physicians, dentists and other allied health care professionals. They have been mislead as much as the general public, and maybe even more and they have the potential of helping many smokers who they encounter every day.

Here are links to resources you may want to share with them:

WhyQuit's patient resources

Also the link to the actual Gallup survey: http://www.gallup.com/poll/163763/smoke ... times.aspx

And these videos and articles from above:

"Whatever you do, don't quit cold turkey"
http://www.gallup.com/video/163826/near ... urkey.aspx

The Limitations of the use of Nicotine Replacement Products

Not sure exactly where this quote came from, "[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]The bottom line? After nearly four decades of the nicotine gum and patch being the cornerstone of U.S. quit smoking policy, 94 percent of successful quitters quit without them." but it reminded me of this article:[/font]
[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]
[/font]
40 Years of Progress?