Quitters Most Likely to Use "Cold Turkey" Strategy

Judy Anderson

20 Aug 2013, 23:36 #11

Thank you Joel for all the links. I plan to share this information. I see my doctor next week for a regular annual appointment and will write down and give all this information to him. 

jhopk

21 Aug 2013, 03:13 #12

Joel Spitzer wrote:
Has any member here seen any word of the survey in any local media in your areas?

I haven't noticed anything, but I don't watch tv, or seek nicotine education anywhere else but here on the whyquit network, here at the freedom forum.  The only thing I knew about smoking before coming here was what either smokers or non-smokers said about smoking.

Mardan59

23 Aug 2013, 14:47 #13

Hi Joel,

I finally found the article about this latest cold turkey quitters Gallup pole!!! It was in Huffington Post on August 4th.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/0 ... 84381.html

Perhaps you or John could leave a reply to the post!!

Mary

****OK...nevermind....John already did!!! LOL

Joel Spitzer

23 Aug 2013, 16:23 #14

Thanks Mary. That was the only one that I was aware of and had saw that John had commented soon after it was released. I need to check with John to see if he came across other versions of the story.

KayS

24 Aug 2013, 07:02 #15

I haven't seen anything in the UK but I hope it makes its way over here. I cannot see how you can break an addiction by continuing to take the substance in a different form. I get quite cross that our National Health Service spends so much money on stop smoking programmes which use patches etc.

Mardan59

26 Aug 2013, 12:46 #16

Wow, I came across this article from the UK, dated 08/06/13 talking about the Gallup survey.  They totally twisted the report, did not post a link to the survey and said the UK news media recommends Champix by Phizer to help you quit.  There have been no comments at this site yet.

http://www.ukmedix.com/news/champix/gal ... it7070.cfm

Sign me shocked,
Mary
Free since 01-21-13

***I just read another article talking of the Gallup poll, by John Hopkins Health information.  They totally downplayed the cold turkey method and focused on other "more successful methods" of course, all types of nicotine replacement and drugs.  They must have read a different poll!!!  How can they print stuff like this???  if you want to read their twist on this poll, I've copied the link.  https://www.liveandworkwell.com/smoking ... ucketID=13
Last edited by Mardan59 on 26 Aug 2013, 13:01, edited 1 time in total.

Joel Spitzer

26 Aug 2013, 13:03 #17

I wished I could say I was shocked, but this is standard fare. Either ignore or pretend that studies or surveys that show that cold turkey is the method most likely to produce success even exist or  spin the result of the study or survey to somehow end up recommending the use of the less successful products.

Here is a detailed post from back in 2006 discussing this practice:

http://ffn.yuku.com/reply/94979/Cold-tu ... eply-94979

Joel Spitzer

26 Aug 2013, 13:12 #18

[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]From the link above:[/font][font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]
[/font]
[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]One more example of how researchers or policy makers make what I believe are unwarranted or unsupported conclusions or recommendations to specific data interpretations. It happened back in 2003 in the Malta Medical Journal. [/font]

[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]Here is a link to the study: [/font]http://www.um.edu.mt/umms/mmj/showpdf.php?article=17

[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]Excerpts from that PDF file [/font]

[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]Quantitative Results [/font]
[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]There were 246 applicants who applied for the 13 smoking cessation clinics organised by the ! Health Promotion Department in Malta during the year starting in October 1999. Out of these, only 134 presented themselves for the introductory session, with this number falling to 101 for Session No. 2 - the quit session (see Table 2). While the immediate success rate at the final session was 27% (n=27) as a percentage of the participants attending the quit session, the six-month success rate dropped to 10% (n=10), with dropouts being counted as smokers. [/font]

[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]Of these ten quitters who were still not smoking at six months after the end of the clinic: [/font]

[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]• seven were males, while three were females; [/font]

[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]three were aged 30-39 years (30%), two were between 40 and 49 years old (20%), four were in their 50's (40%), and one was 64 years old; [/font]

[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]• nine were continuously abstinent for the whole duration of the six months (one male had re-started smoking, only to quit again 3 months before the six-month follow-up); [/font]

[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]• [/font][font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]and only two (20%) had used nicotine! replacement therapy as an aid to stopping. [/font]

[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]Implications for improving the outcome [/font]

[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]The 10% prevalent abstinence rate (9% continuous abstinence rate) at six months after the end of the Malta clinics is low compared to international standards (20-30% in the UK16 and 15-30% in the USA1), particularly as these are measured at one year, and assuming no differences in the methods used and their application. [/font][font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]One significant factor that may account for this difference is the freedom of choice for use of pharmacotherapy (in this case, nicotine replacement therapy)[/font][font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]. While UK and US recommendations1,6,7,14,17 put pharmacotherapy (NRT and bupropion) as the cornerstone of therapy, [/font][font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]Maltese smoking cessation clinics still leave the choice for use or non-use of NRT to the participants[/font][font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]. [/font][font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]In fact, of the 10 quitters who were not smoking at six months after the end of their respective clinics, only two (20%) had used nicotine replacement therapy. [/font]

[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]Then from table six of that study: [/font]

[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]Table 6:[/font][font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF] Recommendations of study [/font]

[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]The use of pharmacotherapy (NRT and/or bupropion) as a cornerstone of smoking cessation clinics. [/font]

[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]Again, they disregarded the fact that the majority of success was seen with the people who did not use pharmacotherapy and instead said that one of the problems is that participants had too many choices, and the "logical" conclusion was somehow to make pharmacotherapy the cornerstone of treatment.[/font]
Last edited by Joel Spitzer on 26 Aug 2013, 17:27, edited 2 times in total.