Quit Smoking Tip Sheet

Quit Smoking Tip Sheet

Joel

04 Jan 2001, 21:35 #1

Quit Smoking Tip Sheet[/size]

1. Quit cold turkey. In the long run it's the easiest and most effective technique of smoking cessation.[/size] 2. Do not carry cigarettes.[/size]

3. Quit smoking one day at a time. Do not concern yourself with next year, next month, next week or even tomorrow. Concentrate on not smoking from the time you wake up until you go to sleep.[/size]

4. Work on developing the attitude that you are doing yourself a favor by not smoking. Do not dwell on the idea that you are depriving yourself of a cigarette. You are ridding yourself full fledged smoking because you care enough about yourself to want to.[/size]

5. Be proud that you are not smoking.[/size]

6. Be aware that many routine situations will trigger the urge for a cigarette. Situations which will trigger a response include: drinking coffee, alcohol, sitting in a bar, social events with smoking friends, card games, the end of meals. Try to maintain your normal routine while quitting. If any event seems to tough, leave it and go back to it later. Do not feel you must give up any activity forever. Everything you did as a smoker, you will learn to do at least as well, and maybe better, as an ex-smoker.[/size]

7. Make a list of all the reasons you want to quit smoking. Keep this list with you, preferably where you used to carry your cigarettes. When you find yourself reaching for a cigarette, take out your list and read it.[/size]

8. Drink plenty of fruit juice the first three days. It will help flush nicotine out of your system.[/size]

9. To help avoid weight gain, eat vegetables and fruit instead of candies and pastries. Celery and carrots can be used safely as short-term substitutes for cigarettes.[/size]

10. If you are concerned about weight gain, do some moderate form of regular exercise. If you have not been exercising regularly, consult your physician for a practical exercise program which is safe for you.[/size]

11. If you encounter a crisis, (e.g. a flat tire, flood, blizzard, family illness) while quitting, remember, smoking is no solution. Smoking will just complicate the original situation while creating another crisis, a relapse into the nicotine addiction.[/size]

12. Consider yourself a "smoke-a-holic." One puff and you can become hooked again. No matter how long you have been off, don't think you can safely take a puff![/size]

13. Don't debate with yourself how much you want a cigarette. Ask yourself how do you feel about going back to your old level of consumption. Smoking is an all or nothing proposition.[/size]

14. Save the money you usually spend on cigarettes and buy yourself something you really want after a week or a month. Save for a year and you can treat yourself to a vacation.[/size]

15. Practice deep breathing exercises when you have a craving.[/size]

16. Go places where you normally can't smoke, such as movies, libraries and no smoking sections of restaurants.[/size]

17. Tell people around you that you have quit smoking.[/size]

18. Remember that there are only two good reasons to take a puff once you quit. You decide you want to go back to your old level of consumption until smoking cripples and then kills you, or, you decide you really enjoy withdrawal and you want to make it last forever. As long as neither of these options appeal to you-never take another puff![/size]

New video version added September 15, 2012[/size]

[/size]
Last edited by Joel on 15 Sep 2012, 14:23, edited 3 times in total.

Joanne Gold

16 May 2001, 21:54 #2

For Jeff, newbies and lurkers : ))

Joel

29 Aug 2001, 20:16 #3

I am always trying to bring up some materials to assist our "lurker" population. In the past few days I have seen a number of new members who were lurkers for quite a while before ever posting. More important though, they were lurkers who had quit weeks ago. Many of them have attributed their success to what they learned about quitting at Freedom. This is wonderful.

I do suspect we have a lot more people reading here than posting here. I want to make sure that these people always feel welcome--for our goal has always been to help people quit--not to enlarge membership. I'd personally rather have a site that had 1 person succeeding compared to a site that had a million people failing--even if the million people all liked us, it would not be worth the effort. Liking us will not save a smokers health or life--quitting smoking can do both.

So all you lurkers, please keep coming and reading. If you ever want to join in and share your success--that would be great and probably help other members and lurkers. But joining and posting is not essential for your quit and that is what should be your paramount concern. The only thing you need to do to secure your quit is to always remember to never take another puff!

Joel

Joanne Gold

01 Oct 2001, 20:49 #4

To the top for all of our friends looking in.Image
Set your goals and get started....you can do it, don't be left behind.
Take those baby steps...ONE DAY AT A TIME.
Last edited by Joanne Gold on 10 Nov 2009, 18:03, edited 1 time in total.

Joel

29 Oct 2001, 20:41 #5

I saw where one member had mentioned that she had read about cranberry juice at another site. I assumed I had it here, it is actually the one food I encourage all who can tolerate it to use in my programs, and have done so for over 20 some years. But when I look through the Freedom posts where I thought I would have addressed the issue, I couldn't find it. The same thing happened a last week some time with the caffeine connection with nicotine.

The advantages of cranberry juice for the first three days (and only the first three days) is it will help keep the blood sugar level constant, which in fact any fruit juice can help with, as well as being the most acidic of the juices. The increased acidity level induced by the juice can help accelerate the excretion of nicotine.

It works with the same principle as alcohol and stress causing smokers to smoke more cigarettes because they lose nicotine faster. The cranberry juice also speeds up the excretion rate, but since you are not taking extra cigarettes in response, it just makes the withdrawal end quicker. It may only make the difference of a few hours, but when it really come down to it, you want withdrawal to end as quick as possible, and a few hours less is always preferable to a few hours more.

I mentioned that this is only necessary for the first three days. The reason being that after that time period, the blood sugar level should have adjusted to normal for most people and increasing urine acidity to excrete nicotine faster is unimportant when there is in fact no longer any nicotine to excrete. After three days you will just be consuming extra calories from the juice and that is not necessary. Don't think of cranberry juice as a lifelong crutch for this can be dangerous as can using anything as a crutch to quit smoking as well as dangerous for weight control considerations.

Once you get nicotine out of your system withdrawal will always be a thing of the past--and stay that way as long as you always remember to never take another puff!

Joel

Joel

20 Feb 2002, 04:19 #6

Hello Ladybird:
I just responded to your post here under the string Carrying cigarettes . I am glad you decided to flush them. Go read my reply there--you will see why.
Joel
Last edited by Joel on 10 Nov 2009, 18:04, edited 1 time in total.

Joel

18 May 2003, 00:39 #7

ImageI see we have a lot of new people joining in all at once. I thought I had better bring up some of our advice topics applicable for new member.

John (Gold)

10 Mar 2004, 09:19 #8

What logic is there in thinking in terms of forever
when the next few minutes are all that really matter.
Do them and then celebrate!
Last edited by John (Gold) on 10 Nov 2009, 18:08, edited 1 time in total.

Joel

13 May 2004, 02:03 #9

Image On the show today I was asked to throw new quitters "a bone." This is about as close as I can get to a one concise piece giving quitting tips.

kattatonic1 gold4

02 Jan 2006, 15:54 #10

Image You can do it.
Yes you can.