Quit Expectations - Start with Baby Steps!

John (Gold)

01 Jan 2005, 07:44 #21

You're not battling a whole carton, a whole pack or even a whole cigarette but just one puff. Forget about forever, forget about quitting for all of 2005, a month or even a week. All that matters are the next three minutes, and although your perception of time will be distorted, each of them will be doable, as will the 3 beyond!

JoeJFree Gold

03 Jan 2007, 09:32 #22

Reposting John's message # 46 in this string:
What is nicotine addiction? Nicotine is the tobacco plant's natural protection from being eaten by insects. Drop for drop it's more lethal than strychnine and three times deadlier than arsenic. Yet, amazingly, by chance, this natural insecticide's chemical structure is so similar to the neurotransmitter acetylcholine that once inside the brain it fits a host of chemical locks permitting it direct and indirect control over the flow of more than 200 neurochemicals.

Within eight seconds of that first-ever inhaled puff, through dizzy, coughing and six shades of green, nicotine arrived at the brain's reward pathways where it generated an unearned flood of dopamine Imageresulting in an immediate yet possibly unrecognized "aaahhh" reward sensation. Sensing it would cause most first-time inhalers to soon return for more. Nicotine also fit the adrenaline locks releasing a host of fight or flight neurochemicals and select serotonin locks impacting mood.

A toxic poison, the brain's defenses fought back but in doing so they had no choice but to also turn down the mind's sensitivity to acetylcholine, the body's conductor of an entire orchestra of neurochemicals.

In some neuro-circuits the brain diminished the number of receptors available to receive nicotine, in others it diminished the number of available transporters and in still other regions it grew millions and millions of extra acetylcholine receptors, almost as if trying to protect itself by more widely disbursing the arriving pesticide.

There was only one problem. All the physical changes engineered a new tailored neurochemical sense of normal built entirely upon the presence of nicotine. Now, any attempt to stop using it would come with a risk of intermittent temporary hurtful anxieties and powerful mood shifts. A true chemical addiction was born. Returning home to the "real you" now had a price. Gradually the calmness and comfort associated with being the "real you" faded into distant or even forgotten memory.

The brain's protective adjustments insured that any attempt to stop would leave you temporarily desensitized. Your dopamine reward system would briefly offer-up few rewards, your nervous system would see altering the status quo as danger and sound an emotional anxiety alarm throughout your body, and mood circuitry might briefly find it difficult to climb beyond depression.

Successful nicotine dependency recovery is developing the patience to allow the mind the time needed to readjust to functioning normally, and the recovering nicotine addict time to both readjust to their brain's adjustments and to become 100% comfortable engaging life without wanting for nicotine.

The body's nicotine reserves decline by about half every two hours. It's not only the basic chemical half-life clock which determines mandatory nicotine feeding times, when quitting, it's also the clock that determines how long it takes before the brain begins bathing in nicotine free blood-serum, the moment that surgery is over and real healing begins.

It can take up to 72 hours for the blood-serum to become nicotine-free and 90% of nicotine's metabolites to exit the body via your urine. It's then that the anxieties associated with re-adjustment normally peak in intensity and begin to gradually decline.

But just one powerful puff of nicotine and you'll again face another 72 hours of detox anxieties. It's why the one puff survival rate is almost zero. None of us are stronger than nicotine but then we don't need to be as it is just a chemical with an I.Q. of zero. It does not plot nor conspire and is not some demon within you. It's a chemical.

The key to nicotine dependency recovery isn't dragging out 72 hours of detox by toying for months with gradual weaning or creative means for delivering nicotine. You have a right to know that the over-the-counter patch and gum generated an average 93% six-month smoking relapse rate in the seven OTC studies conducted to date (Tobacco Control, March 2003), that almost 100% of second time nicotine patch users relapse within 6 months (Addicton, Jan. 2004), and that 36.6% of all current nicotine gum users are now classified as chronic long-term gum users (Tobacco Control, Nov. 2003). The key to recovering "you" is education and understanding.

Is encountering your subconsciously conditioned nicotine feeding cue (times, places, events, emotions) that are in need of reconditioning a bad thing? Are almost all cues reconditioned and broken by a single victory in not providing the demanded substance? Is Imagetime distortion a normal recovery symptom? Do all subconscious crave episodes last less than three minutes? Can distortion make the minutes feel like hours? Can looking at a clock bring honest perspective? Does the number of episodes peak at an average of 6 on day three and decline to just 1.2 crave episodes per day by day 10?

Does nicotine really double the rate at which caffeine is metabolized? Will your caffeine blood-serum level really increase by 203% if you drink the exact same amount of caffeine after ending all nicotine use? If you are a heavy caffeine user can elevated levels of caffeine cause additional anxieties making nicotine dependency recovery harder than need be?

Why could you skip breakfast and even lunch when smoking nicotine and never feel true hunger pains? Can difficulty concentrating during early recovery, and other low blood sugar type symptoms, often be easily corrected by simply learning that nicotine is no longer your spoon and you must again learn to properly fuel your body? How can temporarily (72 hours) drinking natural acidic fruit juices like cranberry help to both stabilize blood sugar and accelerate depletion of your body's reserves of the alkaloid nicotine?

These are only a few of the hundreds and hundreds of nicotine dependency recovery issues explored in detail at WhyQuit.com, a free online motivation, education and peer support forum. If you are addicted to nicotine then we invite you to explore the amazing world of online nicotine dependency recovery. I think you'll be surprised at how much there is to learn about the deadly insecticide that now controls your brain, health and life-expectancy.

The next few minutes are entirely doable and there's only one rule - no nicotine today! John

JoeJFree Gold

27 Feb 2007, 11:12 #23

Here's what the two founders of this forumhad to say earlier in this wonderful thread:
Don't kid yourself into believing that you'lll ever be stronger than nicotine. None of us are! It doesn't require strength to break free and stay free. It requires desire, patience and understanding! Years of feeding your chemical dependency upon nicotine, and sensing relief from sagging blood serum nicotine levels within 8 to 10 seconds of that very first puff, has bred a tremendous sense of impatience when it comes to complying with your mind's commands to obtain more nicotine. The first step toward building a sense of patience when it comes to breaking free is in understanding the source of our impatience! It isn't all that hard Image
If you are just starting out and wondering if you can hold on to this quit forever.... STOP! All you have to do is get through the rest of the day without taking that first puff. Each day free from the grips of a powerful addiction, is a victory. Day by day the healing process takes shape, recovery symptoms fade and comfort does come.

Hold on tight! Your life worth is any temporary challenges.

Just for today...not one puff...no matter what!Image

tamid

26 Jun 2009, 18:26 #24

This sounds like very good advice I am on day four and this by far has been the toughest day of all sitting at work but my brain is all fuzzy seem to be screwing up things that I do on a daily basis but everytime I think I want to go out for a break I remember how far I have made it and how far that would knock me down. I refuse to disapoint my kids they are so proud of me even though it's only been a few days and I am very proud of my self. Now I just need to make it through this weekend one day at a time and maybe my progress will convince my husband and friends to stop. I will make it through the rest of today without Nicotine. NTAP.

tammy - Free and Healing for Four Days, 7 Hours and 24 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 7 Hours, by avoiding the use of 86 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $24.13.