Prolonging Withdrawal Symptoms

Joel

20 Dec 2001, 17:08 #11

Image I saw where Linda was discussing her past life, using patches to survive the work day only to succumb to sneaking butts when the patches couldn't deliver the dose needed to elimimate the withdrawal, or more important, to permanently end the withdrawal cycle. Getting nicotine entirely out of your body does accomplish this feat though. Then avoiding ever having to deal with withdrawal again simply entails remembering to never take another puff!

Joel

buffey

18 May 2002, 00:33 #12

Joel,
Thanks for bringing this up. I have never heard it explained quite the way you did. I had been using the patches off and on for years, and it was pure agony. Never enuf nicotine, so I smoked also. I can't beleive how stupid I was, and kept thinking I would get off them someday. That I just couldn't handle NO nicotine, so always kept it going. I actually think using the patches was worse than just smoking, because I had the nicotine going 24 hours. I think it makes for more addiction.
I feel so much better getting the nicotine out of my system.....and it is a relief to not have to agonize over quitting patches AND smoking.
buffeyImage
Five days, 1 hour, 33 minutes and 26 seconds. 151 cigarettes not smoked, saving $22.79. Life saved: 12 hours, 35 minutes.

Joel

24 May 2002, 02:38 #13

Image For Ruth

Slycat

24 May 2002, 03:43 #14

Hi Joel:

This definately pertains to my sister's situation regarding my post today.

I will definately tell her to read it!!!

Thanks...Judy

Joel

27 Aug 2002, 08:56 #15

Image I see we have a few people who found us after starting out with NRT quits. I will bring up a few articles addressing NRT usage--we just want to make it clear that this quit is different because by going cold turkey the person quitting is actually getting nicotine out of his or her system system and will soon be totally out of withdrawal. Then to avoid ever facing withdrawal again is as simple as always remembering to never take another puff!

Joel

bestmorris

02 Oct 2002, 21:57 #16

Hi there! Xold turkey is really the way to go.

This is really what is sustaining my quit and what made me decide to stop smoking: nicotine produces addiction. I was a nicotine addict and I am in some way still one. But I am not smoker any more.

The story that this threads relates about makes me think of two episodes in my life. The first one occurred to me when I was nine or ten years old. It is very simple. It was summertime and I was exploring my parents house; I ended up in my parents bed room. After few attempts in opening drawers and looking in them, I found a container with nicorette pills. I took one of them and I expected something to happen to me - I remember the bitter taste and a strange sensation in my throat. I was very disappointed. My father would have taken them to stop smoking. I was not a smoker. What would have happened to me if I was going to take them? I sucked one. But I would take some more the day after.

The other episode is my attempt to quit of one year ago. It was also summer time. I must say that that summer has been one of the most beautiful in my life. My attempt to stop smoking was helped by nicorette gums. My day was marked by hours and hours of chewing. Then I realised that what I was doing it was simply using another way to intake nicotine into my body: the gum instead of the cigarette. My quit would not last. My need for nicotine intake was increasing instead of diminishing. So I picked up a cigarette and I satisfied me nicotine need. This was happening more that a year ago.

In both episodes nicotine plays a dangerous role. Nicotine self-initiation and nicotine addiction.

This time I am quit, really quit, not because I have totally destroyed my urge for nicotine, but because I know my enemy: nicotine addiction. Never intake any nicotine in your body if you wish to be free. My mind is set to overcome the cravings because it knows that they come from nicotine withdrawl. In the past I would give up to the craving, thinking that those symptoms would be unbearable and I would even die or kill myself if I did not smoke.

Now I know that nicotine is causing them. Now I know that they are of short time life. Now I now that they are more and more rare in my day. I know that I am becoming more and more free every day of my life that I will not be in-taking nicotine.

NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF is the law and this will set you FREE.

Quit for: 1 Week 6 Days 26 Minutes 34 Seconds. NOT smoked 234 cigarettes, for a savings of €61.04. Life Saved: 19 Hours 30 Minutes.

Joel

02 Oct 2002, 22:41 #17

Hello Best Morris:

Your experience is very much the same as people who used chew tobacco or snuff for an appreciable time period before they ever took their first cigarette, became dependant on the substance, took up smoking months, years, or maybe decades later when forced to get off the other source of tobacco, and found themselves established chain smokers almost instantaneously. Their previous nicotine usage established their addiction and cigarettes were just a natural progression now. The same process can work in reverse order too, and often does--where people sustain their addiction to nicotine by switching from cigarettes to a different nicotine delivery source. It is crucial that everyone here understands the problem at hand. It is not cigarettes, nor is it cigars, pipes, snuff, chew, patches, gums, lozenges nor inhalers. It is nicotine--from any source that will re-instigate the body's need for this lethal product. To avoid ever facing the control exerted from nicotine again is as simple as understanding to not administer nicotine from any source, not through the skin by patch, nor by the mouth's oral muscosa by puffing on a cigar, pipe or by chewing or swallowing gums or lozenges, or via the lungs by inhaler or by a inhaling on a cigarette or any other source of burning tobacco, by just knowing to never take another puff!

Joel

joyous1 Bronze

05 Nov 2002, 18:27 #18

I remember doing this....and how many times I would rip the patch off on my way out the door from work and run to my car, huffing and coughing, so I could really satisfy my addiction. Oh what horrible days..the NRT trap.

I saw where Linda was discussing her past life, using patches to survive the work day only to succumb to sneaking butts when the patches couldn't deliver the dose needed to elimimate the withdrawal, or more important, to permanently end the withdrawal cycle. Getting nicotine entirely out of your body does accomplish this feat though. Then avoiding ever having to deal with withdrawal again simply entails remembering to never take another puff!

Joel

Joel

21 Dec 2002, 01:38 #19

Image For Jill

OBob Gold

03 Jan 2003, 06:25 #20

I told her the gum was prolonging the withdrawal process. "But it's only a couple of sticks, and it's not like I am smoking." It was her failure to recognize this point that was causing all of her problems. Chewing the gum was exactly like taking a couple of puffs. She was administering a small amount of nicotine - not enough to reach the peak nicotine level she desired, but just enough to reinforce her addiction and cause chronic withdrawal symptoms.