Physical Addiction of Nicotine

Physical Addiction of Nicotine

06 May 2008, 07:23 #1

I have a question. I was of the belief that the physical addiction of nicotine was broken after three days. But after reading the health benefits achieved after 10 days to 2 weeks in the Quitting Health Benefits Time Table I am confused. That posting stated that within 10-14 days, "The body fully adjusts to the absence of nicotine and physical withdrawl ends."

Was I mistaken in thinking that physical withdrawl ends in three days? Is it really 10-14 days?

Tommy

06 May 2008, 09:23 #2

Tommy, I see Sallie has brought up the Restoring volume control thread for you. While nicotine's 2-hour blood-serum half-life guarantees a nicotine-free mind and peak physical withdrawal within 3 days, in regard to dependency, recent studies teach us that nicotinic-type acetylcholine receptor down-regulation and restoring natural sensitivities occurs in numerous regions of the brain and at different rates, with most thought substantially complete within 2 weeks. In regard to other physiological adjustments to the body fully functioning without one or more of the 4,000 chemicals released by burning tobacco, those chemicals all have their own half-lifes within the body, some longer, some shorter.

For example the new quitting pill Chantix or Champix has an elimination half-life of 24 hours. As you can imagine with 4,000 chemicals it gets pretty challenging stating exactly when the body's tissues and functions are out from under their influence. But it is generally accepted that within two weeks the body and mind are again functioning of their own accord.

But do expect science to keep us abreast of new findings. We promise you one thing, we'll share them here as soon as we become aware of them. What we do know for certain is that it's impossible to relapse so long as all nicotine remains on the outside. What we do know is that none of our new arrivals will ever be asked to endure more than a moment at a time, and that if taken just one at a time that each will be doable. There was always only one rule ... no nicotine today!

John (Gold x8)

06 May 2008, 09:23 #3

Hmmm...... good question, Tommy. I think John or Joel could answer this best but I do remember that all the nicotine leaves your body after about 72 hours. The actual physical withdrawal, I imagine, could take longer. I know that alcohol leaves your body in much less time than nicotine but alcoholics can experience physical withdrawal for quite some time after they quit. Similar thing I suppose.

Here's a couple of excellent threads:
Nicotine Addiction 101
Some new findings on Nicotine Addiction

Getting over and dealing with our addiction can be quite a journey and everyone's journey is similar and different at the same time. You will achieve comfort at some point and the bottom line is if you NTAP you have pretty much a 100% chance of finding comfort and getting to where you want to be.

As for me, most of my physical withdrawal happened in the first few days. It was dealing with all the mental aspects that was the toughest part. As I said, every quit is different and the same. Good luck. Steve . Purt near 4 years.

06 May 2008, 11:11 #4

This message has been deleted by the author.

06 May 2008, 11:14 #5

Nicotine and it's tracking metabolites (those leftovers that insurance companies and the like look to measure) are absent from our blood chemistry by 99% within 72 hours or our last dose. Hence the 72 hour waiting period to join this Freedom forum. I've read here that while nicotine is no longer present many of the chemicals that accompany nicotine in each puff of tobacco smoke poison take around 14 days to clear from our bodies. However, I felt it important to add that our addicton is not 'broken' per se, it is only arrested and put into a a stasis type of status. We will carry this addiction dependency with us as long as we live. The good news is that once we become clean of the chemical substance we regain our power of choice whether or not to reintroduce n icotine and almost surely rekindle our dormant addiction dependency. Tommy you'll soon see, if you have not already, that it is easier, better & more normal living life clean and clear of nicotine's deliterious effects. The longer we remain nicotine free the better our lives become. The longer we are in our normal natural-born state the more normal our lives become. Trust me when I tell you that living free of nicotine's grip is simply superior to liviing within the confines of the nicotine induced dependency jail we have freed ourselves from. Live better by NTAP. That's the Freedom difference. It is not a sacrifice to choose to live free. It is a blessing.

JoeJ Free, a nicotine addict & an ex-smoker who last administered nicotine 3 years, 3 months, 26 days, 12 hours, 55 minutes and 40 seconds Ago (1211 days).
Not needed, wanted or missed 31500 deadly dose delivery devices, and retained $7,949.22.
Reclaimed 218 days and 18 hours of precious remaining life time.