Patience

cookie197000

16 Feb 2008, 22:55 #61

Hi Rodger, I am new to the site. Just about a week or so. I hav'nt had a cigarette for 11 days. Thanks for the post on patience. I am so hard on myself. I must remember to read and get knowledge from people like yourself who have reached some understanding as to what nicotine can do to our bodies. I will take your advise and learn more about how to be more patient. I just love this site. Thank again, Gilda.

sid808

24 Sep 2008, 09:04 #62

I always seem to find what I need here on the forum just when I need it.
Sid 38 days quit.

Jenn XSmokr

03 Nov 2008, 01:24 #63

I've printed this out to read daily. Thank you!

Jenn

K Katie

22 Sep 2009, 19:21 #64

Roger (Gold) wrote:
Our society we live in today ranges from instant breakfasts and beyond. Then gives way to instant messages being transmitted around the globe in less than seconds. We have become a society that demands everything to be fast and easy. For the most part this is a good possitive technological advancement. It should give us more time to pursue our goals and happiness as we journey through life.
On the downside we are becoming a world of "I want it now." The same holds true with many nicotine addicts on the road to recovery or wanting to quit smoking and stop feeding their addiction. Many search for the easy way out. Others don't understand why comfort takes time to happen. Perhaps, to many of us have not had to struggle for much in our lives. Everything has come to us far too easy! We expect to dance without paying the fiddler. There is no free lunch that is worth while. For us addicts seeking comfort, the price of the fiddler is payed in........
Patience
So just what is patience? It is many things combined to form one thing. It is an elusive virtue we all have within ourselves but never learn how to use it or just simply don't want to learn how to harness it.
Patience is the ability to:
Sit back and wait for an expected outcome without experiencing anxiety, tension or frustration.
Let go of your need or demand for instant gratification.
Believe in the concepts of permanence and comittment.
The ability to maintain your calmness and consideration as you handle your growth issues one at a time.
Hang on to your quit when unexpected trouble arrises that may take 3 or 4 minutes to allow a crave or trigger to pass.
Accept the non-enthusiastic reception of others to share in your new found truths you have learned at Freedom.
See that overnight reformations are rarely long lasting in the begining and that gradual change and growth have a greater lasting durability.
Accept the universal truth that your quit, like life itself, is a journey not an instant destination.
Ignore all the possitive gains accomplished on your road to your freedom, recovery and growth, allowing you to only concentrate on what you have not yet recieved or accomplished.
Become pessimistic about your quit seeing only the "half empty cup" rather the "half filled cup."
Become overwhelmed by your slower than anticipated progress and begin to lose the hope and motivation to keep on trying.
Confront your fears about attaining your goal. Remember the world was not created in a day. Beautiful symphonies, works of art, literary masterpieces and your control of your addiction will not be created in a day.
Remember a lifetime is not lived in a day or week or month. It is a journey we should savor one day at a time.
Always look for tomorrow to be the first day of the rest of your life.
It is very important to realize to successfully quit smoking and gain control over your addiciton you don't need an immeasurable amount of patience or an impeccable possitive attitude. These personal traits will develop as your quit progresses. All you need is a desire to quit and a set time to do it. Once you have decided on the two, place them in motion, all you ever have to do to remain nicotine free is never violate the Law of Addiction....Never Take Another Puff!
Roger
Freedom's Gold Club
P.S. It keeps getting better, a little bit, each and every day! :)

Johnnie

23 Sep 2010, 14:56 #65

I especially warm to the remark that we need to even be patient in our efforts to cultivate a golden Positive Mental Attitude. We do as we can, when we can, at the start--and sometimes that means getting by with a less than perfect attitude!
Gratefully Gold

I escaped from the prison of smoking on August 14, 2010.  
[font]The best revenge is quitting well![/font] 

KellyJ

02 Oct 2010, 01:05 #66

This post was definitely written for people like me! And thanks to Joe J freeImage for sending me the link!  I believe this one is going to be printed and taped to my mirror! 

Ahhh,  I am so thankful for this support system!  I am feeling better everyday, and my quit is definitely feeling more manageable even despite personal crisis going on in my life.  I never thought I could get through this stuff without smoking.  Wow... what a lie this addiction was feeding me.

Free and healing one day at a time,

Kelly
I have been free for 2 Weeks, 1 Day, 12 hours, 53 minutes and 41 seconds (15 days). I have saved $166.11 by not smoking 543 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Day, 21 hours and 15 minutes of my life.

cowgrrl

09 Oct 2010, 03:30 #67

Excellent posts. Thanks for directing me here-- I needed it. After being nicotene free almost 1 month-- I am taking stock-- and not completely sure I like all I see. But the key thing is -- I have quit smoking! I am reminded when reading this that each day is its own day. I can celebrate today and stay in today. I suspect this will be good for me in many areas of my life... I am so grateful to be able to learn from those that have been before me.

Healing and growing patiently,
(well,  trying to be patient:)
and made it another day (yeah!)