Patience

adnil

05 May 2003, 10:07 #11

Learning patience in our world is tough. It's hard for us ex-smokers especially. We were used to just stuffing those irritaing things in life, those things that scraed us or brought us joy. If afraid or anxious, we learned to run to our "friend" for instant relief.

As we all know, we were only putting off the inevidable. We still had to go back & face that situation. Now, we have to learn to face those situations head on, without nicotine. And be careful, not to replace it with something else. We are forced to find new (healthy) ways of dealing with things and are finding out new things about ourselves. Everytime I face a difficult "trigger" & get past it, I'm amazed & so glad I understand not to EVER take another puff!

You can think & cope and do it better without nicotine!! I love it, I feel more in control & hopeful than I have for a long time. I have plans for a better life!

Thank you Roger. Linda
1 week, 6 days

John (Gold)

20 May 2003, 08:47 #12

If this temporary period of re-adjustment called quitting were soooooo "easy" then why will an estimated five million of our brothers and sisters lose their lives to their dependency this year? Conditioned by years of quick replenishments, we each developed expectations of rapidly satisfying urges and craves. How many will lose their lives this year because they convinced themselves that the only permanent solution, recovery, was taking too long?

Developing the patience needed to allow our healing to transport us home is critical. But why worry about next month, next week or even tomorrow when all we can control is here and now? The next few minutes are all that matter and each is entirely do-able! Yes you can!
Baby steps, patience, just one hour, challenge and day at a time!

There's no place like home!
Last edited by John (Gold) on 22 Jul 2009, 02:41, edited 2 times in total.

smokefreeJD Gold

28 May 2003, 03:10 #13

I just love this thread so much. Not only is it on the mark as far as quits are concerned, this stuff applies to other aspects of daily life too.

JillImage
Kicking Butt for 7 Months 3 Weeks 1 Day.
Last edited by smokefreeJD Gold on 22 Jul 2009, 02:42, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)

30 Jun 2003, 10:36 #14

Relax! It's going to be ok!
It may feel like things are standing still.
But the rose bud is still opening, we promise!!
Last edited by John (Gold) on 22 Jul 2009, 02:52, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)

11 Sep 2003, 20:00 #15

Joel's Reinforcement Library

"Take it ONE DAY AT A TIME"

This concept is taught by almost all programs which are devoted to dealing with substance abuse or emotional conflict of any kind. The reason that it is so often quoted is that it is universally applicable to almost any traumatic situation.

Dealing with quitting smoking is no exception. Along with NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!, ONE DAY AT A TIME is the key technique which gives the smoker the strength to successfully quit smoking and stay free from the powerful grip of nicotine dependence.

When first quitting, the concept of ONE DAY AT A TIME is clearly superior to the smoker thinking that he will never smoke again for the rest of his life. For when the smoker is first giving up smoking, he does not know whether or not he wants to go the rest of his life without smoking. Most of the time the smoker envisions life as a non-smoker as more stressful, painful, and less fun.

It is not until he quits smoking that he realizes his prior thoughts of what life is like as a non-smoker were wrong. Once he quits he realizes that there is life after smoking. It is a cleaner, calmer, fuller and, most important, healthier life. Now the thought of returning to smoking becomes a repulsive concept. Even though the fears have reversed, the ONE DAY AT A TIME technique should still be maintained.

Now, as an ex-smoker, he still has bad moments every now and then. Sometimes due to stress at home or work, or pleasant social situations, or to some other undefinable trigger situation, the desire for a cigarette surfaces. All he needs to do is say to himself, I won't smoke for the rest of today; tomorrow I will worry about tomorrow. The urge will be over in seconds, and the next day he probably won't even think of a cigarette.

But ONE DAY AT A TIME should not only be practiced when an urge is present. It should be practiced daily. Sometimes an ex-smoker thinks it is no longer important to think in these terms. He goes on with the idea he will not smoke again for the rest of his life. Assuming he is correct, when does he pat himself on the back for achieving his goal. When he is lying on his death bed he can enthusiastically proclaim, "I never smoked again." What a great time for positive reinforcement.

Every day the ex-smoker should wake up thinking that he is not going to smoke that day. And every night before he goes to sleep he should congratulate himself for sticking to his goal. Because pride is important in staying free from cigarettes. Not only is it important, but it is well deserved. For anyone who has quit smoking has broken free from a very powerful addiction. For the first time in years, he has gained control over his life, rather than being controlled by his cigarette. For this, he should be proud.

So tonight, when you go to sleep, pat yourself on the back and say, "Another day without smoking, I feel great." And tomorrow when you wake up, say, "I am going to try for another day. Tomorrow I will deal with tomorrow." To successfully stay free from smoking, TAKE IT ONE DAY AT A TIME and - NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!

Joel

Roger (Gold)

25 Oct 2003, 12:39 #16

Success Is A Journey, Not A Destination.

As with any journey we begin by placing one foot in front of the other.
Pause for a while and enjoy the fruits of your labor. Smell the roses and and enjoy the beauty of your journey

A healing journey of mind and body.
Focus on how far you have come is such a short period of time not on how far you think you have to travel yet.

We all posess patience within us.......it is just a matter of practice.
One Day At A Time You Can If You Think You Can
Roger
Last edited by Roger (Gold) on 22 Jul 2009, 02:46, edited 1 time in total.

BarbaraT 1113

22 Nov 2003, 20:56 #17

Excellent! I'm so glad I found this thread...it was just what I needed.

Free & Healin' for 1 Week, 1 Day, 21 Hours & 25 Minutes.

Sal GOLD.ffn

04 Dec 2003, 10:36 #18

From Roger's great post:
Patience is the ability to:
Sit back and wait for an expected outcome without experiencing anxiety, tension or frustration.
Let go of your need or demand for instant gratification.
Believe in the concepts of permanence and comittment.
The ability to maintain your calmness and consideration as you handle your growth issues one at a time.
Hang on to your quit when unexpected trouble arrises that may take 3 or 4 minutes to allow a crave or trigger to pass.
Accept the non-enthusiastic reception of others to share in your new found truths you have learned at Freedom.
See that overnight reformations are rarely long lasting in the begining and that gradual change and growth have a greater lasting durability.
Accept the universal truth that your quit, like life itself, is a journey not an instant destination.

DlunyGOLD

05 Dec 2003, 08:23 #19

Thanks for putting this thread out there! It is so true for me especially. I can be the world's most impatient person at times. I wanted the benefits of 3 years quit BEFORE I TOOK MY LAST PUFF!!!! This just shows you how crazy our thinking can get sometimes.

Thanks for reminding us to take things one day at a time and to be patient, things will happen in due time when they are supposed to. The best thing I can do right now if I want 3 years of quit is to never take another puff day by day.

David Three weeks, six days, 10 hours, 24 minutes and 12 seconds. 493 cigarettes not smoked, saving $37.03. Life saved: 1 day, 17 hours, 5 minutes.

davesaddiction2003

13 Dec 2003, 08:38 #20

PATIENCE

Thankyou Roger for some wonderful thoughts!

Somebody said in this thread:

" I wanted the benefits of 3 years quit BEFORE I TOOK MY LAST PUFF!!!!"

For me at least imagination is the energy that feeds my patience! Keep imagining, keep Never Taking Another Puff!

DAVID -Free and Healing for One Month, Eleven Days, 23 Hours and 57 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 4 Days and 8 Hours, by avoiding the use of 1260 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me £94.66.