Our 2011 New Year's Resolution Quitting Message

Our 2011 New Year's Resolution Quitting Message

Pindan Pearl

23 Dec 2004, 11:00 #1

I remember thinking "I really should quit smoking", maybe I even briefly tried for half a day or so one New Year's Day. About 12 years ago!
If I had quit then, the worry I could have saved myself about every bit of pain (is it cancer?), the money I would not have spent and the years of calmness and peace I could have had.... The brief struggle through withdrawl would be in the distant past for me, rather than just 10 weeks ago.
So, if you don't want to ponder on "what ifs" in 10 or 15 years from now, the time to quit is NOW. The addiction will not just go away one day. You have to commit to never take another puff. One day at a time.
Please believe me when I say that there is nothing to give up!

Grateful to be quit for 2 months, 1 week and 2 days, not smoking 1600 cigarettes, saving AU$360

ShutterJulieG

23 Dec 2004, 23:28 #2

THE JOYS OF QUITTING:
FREEDOM, SWEET FREEDOM, from guilt, from always thinking I should quit, from feeling like a loser junkie, from low self-esteem, from embarrassment, from perceived ridicule by the intelligent, non-smoking community, from never-ending messages from my family that I should quit smoking;
SO MUCH MONEY IN MY POCKET, at this rate of savings because of the high cost of cigarettes, I will have saved enough, should I chose to do so, for a vacation for 2 weeks to Aruba in a 5 star hotel!
I FEEL SO MUCH BETTER, after just a short time, I feel cleaner, healthier, I have more energy, but I think most importantly, I feel so much better about myself.
THE JOY OF FLAVOR, as food has "come alive" again. I had been missing so many of the wonderful, delicate flavors...I just never knew they were there! Raspberry is now one of my favorite flavors...how sweet it is!
SO VERY MANY, MANY MORE.....

Julie
One week, 2 days, 14 hours

MareBear GOLD

24 Dec 2004, 00:08 #3

If you're looking in here, you've already got the idea that you can't just quit anytime, which I'll bet you've told yourself before. You just "didn't want to," or "weren't ready." That is nothing but pure lies that YOU have made up so that you didn't have to go through the withdrawals. Why? Maybe another lie you've told yourself is that quitting is too hard, that you just couldn't bear those "horrible withdrawals."

Here is your glimmer of hope...withdrawals don't last forever, and yes, even YOU can withstand them. Start telling yourself the truth, okay? You're addicted to nicotine, and you can't just cut down, and you can't just smoke one every once in a while. However, you can quit. Yes, YOU.

So what are you waiting for? There are thousands of us here on this site who have successfully quit cold turkey and we all want let you in on a little secret... pssssst...come closer...IT'S SIMPLE! All you have to do is STOP. Stay here with us and we'll help you through the worst of it. Get through it, and never take another puff. It really is that simple. Not always easy, but stop thinking of it as the hardest thing in the world and you may just be surprised that it's easier than you imagined.

You can do this!! You really, really can. How do I know this? Because I was you once!

MareBear

formerly a slave to my addiction, now happily free for over 2 1/2 years!

lizzy19595

24 Dec 2004, 00:24 #4

You are reading here because you either just quit smoking or are thinking about it. You are me 3 months ago. I was scared, angry, weepy, all those things.....but reading all the information about nictotine addiction is what got me quit and has kept me quit. It isn't a matter of willpower....it's a matter of brainpower......educate yourself and you will be able to quit....Take control of your life and your body. I can't describe adequately how wonderful it is not to be a slave to a drug that does nothing, absolutely nothing positve for you. Face it......you will quit one day....the choice of when is up to you........now .......or in death later.

SweetLorraine (Gold)

24 Dec 2004, 00:52 #5

If you are reading this you want to quit smoking at least on some level. It is possible to quit, millions of us have done it.

Nicotine is a serious addiction, not just a nasty little habit. Smoking kills, cripples and shatters dreams.

Take some time to educate yourself about the nature of your addiction and how to improve your chances of quitting for good. The truth about nicotine and quitting is here, freely available to you.

Lorraine, Celebrating 3+ years of Freedom

TOM DPLN1 GOLD

24 Dec 2004, 01:37 #6

Hello and Happy New Year to all.

If you are reading this, you have the desire to quit. After 2+ packs a day for over 44 years I finally kicked this deadly drug addiction. Yes!!! DRUG ADDICTION. Always remember, nicotine addiction is not a habit, it's an addiction. Education and support are key factors in remaining nicotine free and this journey to freedom is not
always easy, but it is simple - no nicotine today. Lorriane said it best some years ago in the following post:

Yes you can...A message from Lorraine

Still taking it one day at a time,

Tom, 12 + months of glorious freedom. YOU CAN DO IT.
Last edited by TOM DPLN1 GOLD on 06 Jul 2009, 21:46, edited 1 time in total.

kwhtlw

24 Dec 2004, 02:10 #7

News years resolutions? I made one a long time ago and have never broke it. That resolution was "Never make another News Years Resolution." If a decision in life is important enough to make on the first day of the year, then it is important enough to make now, and there is no better decision that so greatly increases our quality of life than to quit using tobacco. Commitment is the key regardless of when the decision is made. Go into a quit half hearted and one is almost certain to fail. Stay committed for the moment and success is inevitable. Minute by minute, victory built on victory is the venue for ex-tobacco users. It is as easy as staying committed to no nicotine today and Never Take Another Puff!!

Kevin, NicFree & Luv'n It for 6 month plus, I quit chewing tobacco on 6/17/04, have not spent $945.61 on copenhagen.

kattatonic1 gold4

24 Dec 2004, 02:31 #8

ImageWelcome to those considering giving up nicotine!
Tell me, where you fall in this list:

It is impossible for me to quit smoking.
It is improbable that I can quit smoking.
It is possible that I can quit smoking.
It is probable that I can quit smoking.
It is doable.

If you are near the top of the list, you are likely thinking "forever" and that is scary. It sure scared me for 25 years of smoking. How do we turn improbable into possible... possible into probable... probable into doable? How do we move down the list?

ImageLet's go to the opposite of "forever". I guess that would be very small chunks of time. Well every smoker knows that they can go without nicotine for an hour. An hour is doable. How about a day? Too much to ask? Let's string together some hours. At the end of the first hour, try it again. This hour is doable. Look at the clock. Just this hour. You know you can do it. Now do it again. Just this hour. Repeat.

Well wait a minute. These hours are not pleasant. No, not the first 72 hours (usually, not always by the way). And some more after that even. But the more hours you rack up, the more comfortable you become. How do you know that? Talk to anyone who has quit. Anyone. They are not aching for a smoke. After a while they don't even think about it. It is true that everything you do with nicotine, you can do without nicotine. That includes coping with life. How do we do that? Get nicotine out of your system and keep living.

One hour at a time turns into one day at a time. One day at a time turns into Never Take Another Puff. And then this is living without slavery to a drug.

You deserve it. Move down the list, one hour at a time.

~ Kay (Gold) ~
Celebrating 1 Year, 7 Hours and 56 Minutes of Freedom.
Forsaking 7327 doses of poison has liberated $2,380.17 and 25 Days and 10 Hours of my life.

DlunyGOLD

24 Dec 2004, 03:32 #9

You have seen the commercials on TV that tell you "You can't do it alone!"

I am here to tell you that those commercials are true AND false at the same time.

False because they want you to believe that the ONLY way to quit smoking is with the "help" of Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT) Products, which simply is NOT TRUE. All that NRT products do is to prolong the withdrawal because you are taking in nicotine at lower levels than when you smoked.

True because quitting without a "support group" is difficult. Having a "cheerleader" to remind you of where you have been and where you are headed and/or a shoulder to lean on when things get tough and you just need someone to talk to can truly make all the difference in a succesful quit and a relapse.

Whyquit.com has given me the education I needed to understand exactly WHY I smoked and WHY I should quit and the group Freedom From Tobacco has given me the support and confidence to maintain my quit for over 1 year (which is the longest I have ever gone "Cold Turkey" in over 20 years of smoking and "trying to quit").

Attitude is important. Are you ready to take back control of your life from nicotine? Are you ready to stop burning your money up and your life with it? Are you ready to start REALLY tasting your food and regain your sense of smell?

If you are, then don't light up that next cigarette/cigar/pipe/take that next chew or dip! Keep on doing that, one craving at a time. Don't smoke, don't chew, don't use. In just 72 hours the nicotine will be gone from your system and you will never have a physical "need" for nicotine again. During that time drink fruit juices (Cranberry is excellent) to help your body flush the nicotine out faster and read all you can at whyquit.com and Freedom From Tobacco.

Quitting is doable! I did it and so have MILLIONS of others. Staying quit is also doable. The journey of 1000 miles begins with the first step is what they say. The journey continues one step at a time and so does my quit. When I first quit I took it one minute at a time and eventually hours passed, which became a full day, then a week, then a month, and so on. Now I take my quit one day at a time and often go several days without even THINKING of smoking. I work in a stressful job and have a very stressful family life so I know this can be done.

One day at a time, never take another puff!

David, One year, one month, two weeks, two days, 5 hours, 25 minutes and 4 seconds. 7420 cigarettes not smoked, saving $556.50. Life saved: 3 weeks, 4 days, 18 hours, 20 minutes.

AnitaMCK

24 Dec 2004, 03:41 #10

I hope that there are dozens of new members that quit for new years! I would have never believed, just shy of six months ago when I quit, that:

1. I could have coffee in the morning without cigarettes, or drinks in the evening.
2. That I could live without them at the ritualized times of the day that I had established.
3. That I could get through emotional trips, physical trips, activities, etc. etc. - you name it - without taking breaks to have them.
4. That I would go for hours upon hours at end without even thinking about them.

You have to get on the other side of the fence, where we are here at Freedom, to feel the difference. It is hard in the beginning, but do-able. Best wishes and good luck to all who quit, now and in the new year!

AnitaMCK - Free and Healing for Five Months, Fifteen Days, 16 Hours and 15 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 8 Days and 17 Hours, by avoiding the use of 2515 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $506.51.