Our 2011 New Year's Resolution Quitting Message

GoldenDivamom1972

27 Dec 2006, 22:45 #81

Once upon a time, there was a young woman by the name of Amy. She was raised in a loving home by one never-smoker and one ex-smoker, surrounded by good, caring friends and family, the majority of them non-smokers.

Alas, our Amy had a bit of a rebellious streak. Sometime in the summer of 1990, she decided to try a cigarette. Jaws dropped, ladies fainted, and young Amy was pleased, for now she had broken out of her eternal nerddom--or so she thought.

Fast forward to January 2005. After two kids, one marriage, one long-term relationship, a brief college career, and a long string of miserable factory jobs, she was still smoking. "It's hopeless!" she cried out. "I was just meant to be a smoker! I mean, if I didn't enjoy it, I wouldn't do it, would I?"

She had been "trying" to quit since at least 1998, using various pharmaceutical methods that were SUPPOSED to make quitting so much EASIER. Every attempt had spelled out failure, simply because she just didn't get it. On January 3rd, 2005, it finally clicked. "This is IT. I'm DONE." she declared as she put out that final cigarette.

There were moments of struggle as the nicotine left her body. At first, it seemed like the whole world was a trigger. But this time she had education on her side. Thanks in part to the readings here and at Why Quit, she knew that this too would pass, that she would come through, and those triggers would eventually fade away to nothing.

Okay, you all guessed it. I'm Amy, and this is my story of finding freedom after nearly 15 years of active addiction. I'm proud to say that I have passed all my regular triggers (and a few oddball ones) with flying colors. I've said it before, but it bears repeating--quitting is as easy or as hard as you choose to make it. Not only will you survive withdrawal, you will THRIVE. No matter what else I do in this life, I am proudest of my freedom from nicotine. I consider that my crowning achievement.

Amy
Kalamazoo, MI
1 Year, 11 Months of SWEET freedom!

libby111605

28 Dec 2006, 01:26 #82

I quit mainly for health reasons - after 37 years of smoking I knew it was way past time to stop doing damage to my body. I do feel better -
sleep better - think better - work better - and for the first time in many years I can breathe deeply - all the way to the bottom of my lungs. But on the way to here I discovered an unexpected bonus -
I have become more "aware". I live in the moment more often - I experience a range of emotions "naturally". I just feel "more me" - the person I was supposed to be -the one who got hijacked by nicotine 37 years ago. The path back to the real me was "simple" (not always easy but always simple) - just NTAP (never take another puff) one day at a time.
Libby - liberated on Nov. 16th, 2005
free for 1 year, 1 month, 10 days

ZZRSteve GOLD

28 Dec 2006, 10:31 #83

The myth......
The reality

I've always said "If an old knuckleheaded addict like me
can quit, anyone can." (Me)
Remember:

Quitting smoking is simple. Did I say easy? No! I said simple.
All you have to do is to NTAP. 100% of those people who
NTAP never, ever, relapse.... guaranteed!
Read this: The 1st 72 Hours
and this: Advice 4 Newbies
Educate yourself here and at WhyQuit.com
Educating yourself about our addiction is key.
Welcome to Freedom From Tobacco.
Welcome to your new nicotine free life.
You can do it. I know because I did it.
Steve 2Years, 7 months.

I have been quit for 2 Years, 7 Months, 2 Weeks, 22 hours, 27 minutes and 51 seconds (958 days). I have saved $4,794.66 by not smoking 38,357 cigarettes. I have saved 4 Months, 1 Week, 3 Days, 4 hours and 25 minutes of my life.
Last edited by ZZRSteve GOLD on 09 Dec 2013, 14:59, edited 2 times in total.

Chipits GOLD.ffn

28 Dec 2006, 11:16 #84

Hear ye! Hear ye!
I was kinda hoping that your nagging little bell-ringing inner pest of a voice in your head that you repress, perhaps especially around New Year's, is once again reminding you that "some day" you will have to 'cut down' or maybe even ~~shudder~~quit smoking. Maybe you can silence that voice with a little truth .,(please click here)> "Not today, I have an excuse " you say???
I believed my excuses were valid too until I read there, and I am sure more than a few were uttered by Bryan Lee Curtis - age 34 , but sadly, Bryan isn't able to be here to tell you in person. His story is powerful. His message will live on.
Well, that is all I have to say to you today! The choice is always yours.....so are the consequences, good or bad.
The truth of this addiction, the motivation, and support in quitting are available to you right now, free of charge, here at whyquit.com and Freedom from Tobacco ....Why waffle and wait, before it's too late! Hoping you make a wise choice! I know I did...we all did here ...and we sincerely want you to know and experience what we know and feel>>
PRICELESS FREEDOM
What a beautiful way to ring in the New Year!
We ring in every day nicotine-free!
And so could you!
What a blessing!
What sweet music to our souls!
Is your bell ringing for freedom?
Image Image Image
Wendy --Image--Free and Healing for 173 days
Randy --Image--Free and Healing for 41 days
Beautiful British Columbia
Image Canada Image

osabrava

28 Dec 2006, 22:44 #85

'm very happy to be posting this message to the New Year's 2007 page, and very glad that you clicked on this link. I have a very important message for you. YOU CAN QUIT SMOKING!

It doesn't cost anything, you don't have to go to any meetings and you don't have to take anything.

Unfortunately, it took me 27 years of a-pack-a-day smoking and the death of both my parents from smoking-related diseases to discover this fact.

Whether you have been smoking (or taking nicotine in any other form) for less or more time than I have doesn't matter at all. Just like every other goal, quitting smoking is reached one day at a time. If you can quit for an hour, you can quit for the rest of your life. The trick is to take it little by little. One day at a time, or one hour, even one minute at a time. Your healing begins as soon as you stop nicotine. My healing is a beautiful gift I give myself every day I stay smoke free.

Don't let your addiction (yes, addiction!) convince you to spend another year abusing your health and risking your life. That next cigarette (or dip, or pipe, or chew) could be the start of a process that ends in your sickness and death, as it has for hundreds of thousands of Americans in just the past year.

You DONT have to be one of them. Use the amazing resource that is this site to get educated about nicotine addiction. Use this information to fuel a quit that you'll be able to maintain for the rest of your life, by following one simple (maybe not easy! but simple) rule, Never Take Another Puff!*
(*Or dip, or pipe, or chew!)

Bernadette, 45, quit 26 months by the time you read this!

starbirder.ffn

14 Dec 2007, 12:11 #86

Image"Live Free or Die" State of New Hampshire Motto & Flag - USA
My State's Motto has a special meaning to me, since after 40+ years of nicotine addiction
I was faced with a simple choice: LIVE FREE of Nicotine OR TAKE A CHANCE and DIE FROM a SMOKING RELATED DISEASE
Well I choose to LIVE
No super hero here, I did not use any magic potions, pills, patches, gums or sprays!!!!
I found the FREE help I needed at www.whyquit.com
So if this petit Grandma can stop smoking COLD TURKEY - SO CAN YOU!!!!
COME, LET US HELP
Star- Free & Healing for almost 5 months

Inky15880

14 Dec 2007, 20:31 #87

Do not make your resolution to quit smoking, do not make your resolution to give up smoking. Make your resolution to give yourself this precious gift of freedom from nicotine.
Education is the the key.
Ingrid,
Free since 22/06/07. No nicotine for 5 months, 3 weeks, 1 day, 6 hours, 30 minutes and 43 seconds. That's 5258 stinkers not smoked, saving € 557,49. Reclaiming 2 weeks, 4 days, 6 hours, 10 minutes.

RReese0

14 Dec 2007, 22:29 #88

Education, Commitment and Knowledge is the key to fulfilling
the resolution to be nicotine free in
You can find hundreds of articles, videos and other nicotine addict's experiences on
Freedom at
Try it, you just might find the right combination for a real quit.
Roger - Free for 35 days
Ft. Myers, FL.

AQuitter.ffn

15 Dec 2007, 05:29 #89

If you're reading this, it means it's time to quit smoking. Why else would you be here, at this site, reading posts from people who have chosen to live their lives free of nicotine?

I've been free for 18 days after 27 years of addiction. Is it easy? Not always, but it's definitely doable. What do you have to lose? If you quit and realize you prefer to posion your body daily, smoking is always an option. It's still your choice. But I'll wager once you get a taste of freedom, and learn how to deal effectively with your addiction, you won't want to turn back to that lifestyle that brought you here in the first place.

Greg - Rhode Island

johnnynonic

16 Dec 2007, 00:25 #90

After 32 YEARS of addiction I'm living free!
(link to my old New Years message)
Join us, just Never Take Another Puff!
Nicotine free for over 2 Years, 8 Months, that's 993 days.
Saved over $4,336.67
Chose to live without 17,883 nicotine feedings.
Spent over 2 Months, 1 Day, of my life doing much better things.
John
Michigan
USA
You CAN do this :-)