Our 2011 New Year's Resolution Quitting Message

Jeff S 1966

21 Dec 2006, 11:35 #71

Quitting isn't easy, but educating yourself about nicotine addiction does make it doable. I may be a "newbie" ( a little over 3 weeks quit) but I plan on making this quit last forever.

I have a history, like most smokers, of trying to quit unsuccessfully. I never knew fully what I was up against. Luckily I found this site, and Joel's library. I never thought about learning all about the addiction as an aid to quitting, but it really does help. If you tried to fly an airplane with no instruction in aviation, you probably wouldn't get very far. I never got far with previous quits, because I didn't know much about the addiction. I thought the cravings would be constant for the rest of my life, but they actually peak after 3 days and are gone after 2 weeks. I thought I could be a part time smoker, having 2-3 a day, but now realize it's the full addiction or no nicotine at all. The more knowledge you can get about the nicotine addiction, the better you are prepared to fight the urges and cravings, as well as know what to expect and how to handle it. Read Joel's library all the way through, and keep the articles handy when you are struggling, it helps to read them. Never take another puff. One day at a time. Congratulate yourself at the end of the day for not smoking, and face tomorrow with confidence. You can do it, and it does get easier!

Jeff - Phoenix, Arizona USA

Jeff - Free and Healing for Twenty Three Days and 16 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 1 Day and 23 Hours, by avoiding the use of 575 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $115.16.

heath0210

21 Dec 2006, 16:43 #72

Image For to long I listened to other people and advertisments informing me how difficult it was to quit. How wrong they were!!!!!!!!!!!! Here at whyquit, you will find that the more you read the easier it gets, you educate yourself and understand just exactly what your mind and body are going through, no gimmicks and no miracle patches prolonging the withdrawal period. I was a smoker of 20 years, 25 death sticks a day and I am not far off bronze (3months). Both my parents have quit by just reading articles from this site, in fact my dad was a smoker for 50+ years and he has just turned green (1 month), my mum will be bronze a week after me!!!!!!!!!!!! ImageIf you don't feel like reading there is also the video lessons, my Dad likes these, so truly there is a way for everyone to be educated and you have just found it my friend, so sit back read or watch and enjoy your new found freedom.Image

Heather.xxxx
Free and Healing for Two Months, Eighteen Days, 8 Hours and 52 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 8 Days and 6 Hours, by avoiding the use of 2381 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me £563.78.

TOM DPLN1 GOLD

21 Dec 2006, 22:20 #73

Hello Fellow quiters,

Congratulations!!! You have foune the greatest ssource of education regarding
smoking cessation. After a 2+ pack a day, 44 year deadly addiction I am now
celebrating 3 yerss of freedom. How was this accomplished?? Education!
Education! Education! Read the material offered at this site and educate your-
self. I cannot stress enough the importance of learning and understanding the law
of addiction. Additionally I recomend thant you take it one day at a time. Do not
look to far down the road. When you wake up tell yourself "Today I will not
smoke" and tomorrow will take care of itself. You Can Do This!!! All it takes is
to NTAP ( never take another puff).

Wishing you all a nicotine free 2007.

Tom, 36 months of glorious freedom.
Pennsylvania, USA

JoeJFree Gold

22 Dec 2006, 10:13 #74

"Why I Thought I'd Never Quit"
Don't have a real good answer for that one. I guess it's because I hadn't been able to succeed in doing so despite several 'assisted' or 'educated' &/or 'Prescribed' episodes over the last 25 years or so. Because I'd never been fully educated about who held the Key to my Freedom. I didn't understand what it meant to be a nicotine addict nor did I fully comprehend the irrefutable simplicity of The Law of Addiction.
(and how surprisingly different things are
now that we have - the whole truth)
The Truth: The Final Truth
Turns out we all possess the Secret Key to our Freedom From Nicotine.
We are able to choose for ourselves
by finally no longer allowing nicotine any say in the matter.
I'm not different but my life sure has been changed for the better since I decided I wanted to be 'Just Me' again after 40 years.
Image Never Take Another Puff Image
If you don't want to smoke or chew tobacco then .....don't ingest tobacco.
Easier said than done but do-able all the same.
"Because I'm not done livin' yet."
JoeJFree from the demands of my addiction for
Two Years on January 10 2007

TinaLEM1

22 Dec 2006, 18:31 #75

I quit smoking loads of times. Sometimes it lasted a day, other times a few days, weeks or even months. In my heart I believed I could never escape my addiction. I knew I was a fool. I knew it would kill me. I hated myself for smoking, but I was afraid, very afraid that I would never get through a day without either smoking or being in a foul temper and wishing I could smoke.

As I write this, I can't actually remember when I last thought about smoking. I found Freedom nearly seven months ago. My fear has gone. I'm still an addict and always will be, but smoking isn't a part of my life any more.

After 16 years of smoking, I have been quit for 6 Months, 4 Weeks, 13 hours and 44 seconds (211 days). I have saved £1,078.86 by not smoking 4,230 cigarettes. I have saved 2 Weeks, 16 hours and 30 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 24/05/2006 21:30

Please come and join us. You will never regret it.

KatieDidIt1999

22 Dec 2006, 22:35 #76

ImageYou will find once you reclaim your freedom from nicotine that you won't want to miss an opportunity to talk about it! I'm 48 years old and smoked for 33 years. I reclaimed my freedom on 1/3/2006. I gained 13 pounds and lost 27 Image. I can breath, I can exercise, and I have money in my pocket. Most of all, I have my self respect back. The education, humor, and support you find here will help you be smart in your quit. I am forever thankful for this website and my favorite posting.....
  • Patience
  • Kat
    Kentucky
    Closing in on a big celebration after 11+ months free

VICKIGOLD2006

23 Dec 2006, 02:51 #77

HAPPY NEW YEAR! If you are reading this message, it probably means that you are sick and tired of smoking, chewing, dipping, whatever form you are using to get that nicotine into your system. I have been where you are right this minute!! It's scary I know that. I never thought I could quit, not sure I really wanted to quit, but was not happy being a smoker any more. I didn't know how to quit, because all my past attempts failed. I thought just maybe I could quit smoking...but with a nicotine product (ie patch, gum etc) what a joke!! I had tried everything but quitting cold turkey, thought it would be too hard.

I came to Why Quit and Freedom because I was desperate. I needed to know how to quit and stay quit. Well, friends I'm happy to say that after smoking 40 years, I HAVE quit now for almost 5 months. I did it here, with the education that is provided to us all, freely and at no cost what so ever. I did it here, with the support and encouragement of other members of this website and I did it by Never Taking Another Puff, just one day at a time (sometimes, one minute at a time). It is so very, very do-able. When I read Joel's Library in the first 72 hours of my quit, I cried and cried, for I knew that this was it...finally, I found that I would be able to quit, why I smoked and got myself educated on the Law of Addiction. You can too...what have you got to lose? Don't plan it, just do it and do it NOW...all the best!!

ImageVICKI - Free and Healing for Four Months, Nineteen Days, 20 Hours and 30 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 9 Days and 20 Hours, by avoiding the use of 2837 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $642.08. Arizona

headbo (gold)

23 Dec 2006, 10:20 #78

Hi there, I'm glad your taking the time to come visit. Let me introduce myself, my name is Kelly.

I am Kim's sister and if you haven't read Kim's story, read it now and you will notice that the above line is the opening sentence of her story. Reading her story says it all. http://whyquit.com/whyquit/A_kim.html

Believe me when I say that quitting smoking really is a matter of life or death.

Kelly
smoke free for over 4 years
broken heart for over 2 years

John (Gold)

26 Dec 2006, 21:55 #79

Thanks Kat, Vicki and Kelly,
links to your messages have been added!
Kim & Kelly on January 14, 2003

Sharry

26 Dec 2006, 22:33 #80

I have my Freedom now - and it is priceless. I will be on my guard forever - nothing will take that Freedom away. I promise myself.

For 30 years I have used nicotine either delivered through cigarettes or gum. I used to kid myself that Nicotine Gum costituted a "quit" .

Since reading and understand my addiction on this amazing site I have been nicotine free for 3 weeks - YES!!!!

It's so simple - I simply do not smoke - that simpleImage

Come on over - get quit and stay quit - YOU CAN DO IT.

Sharry - free from nicotine 3 weeks
Alicante, Spain.