NRT and Quit Meters

sharonah silver

26 Feb 2003, 07:51 #11

To All Lurkers:
Don't step down
(which is what NRT companies want you to believe it helps you do)
Just step off
(cold turkey)
it is the fastest,
best,
and ultimately
EASIEST
way to quit!
You may not think so now
but think about what is more scarier to you
QUIT SMOKING
or
illness...
testing...
waiting for results...
chemotherapy...
radiation...
radical surgeries...
or worse.
my thought for the day...
just WHO owns the NRT companies
YQS
Sharonah (green & growing) Image

MsArmstrongKIS

06 Apr 2003, 02:21 #12

Well, I couldn't afford the patch or nicotine gum. But I sure did still want some nicotine to make the quitting process easier. I "quit" two and a half weeks before my February 13th quit, but I still bummed a smoke now and then, and the last smoke I had was a butt from my friend's ashtray. I had a quit meter in my head and was counting the days as if I hadn't smoked, because one little butt didn't count. I even remember emailing Joel about my great quit and how happy I was about his library.

Then I did a bunch of reading and went through incredulity, irritation, anger, and then finally a lightbulb. I hadn't quit at all. Whether you're smoking used butts or putting a patch on your butt, you still haven't quit using nicotine and you still haven't broken your active addiction. NRT is just one more way of prolonging denial of the truth.

Anyway, the quit meter is just icing on the cake of the real celebration--that you made the right decision, and that you aren't puffing.

Alex
1 month 3 weeks 2 days

Joel

29 Jun 2003, 19:25 #13

Image I see that this one has not been brought up in almost three months now. That is a good sign that our members are all pretty much on the same page now, recognizing that they are here specifically because they finally want to be free from being controlled by nicotine. Its great to want to quit to extend your life but breaking free of nicotine can bring out more more benefits than just living longer. It can improve your overall quality of life that having to maintain an active addiction complicates in many ways. The way to really be free is to permanently end all deliver of all nicotine replacement products and as far the smoked form of tobacco goes, just always remembering to never take another puff!

Joel

John (Gold)

29 Jul 2003, 21:06 #14

We didn't smoke cigarettes any more than a heroin
addict injected needles. We smoked nicotine!
Last edited by John (Gold) on 18 Mar 2010, 17:04, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)

30 Jul 2003, 00:29 #15

It's Freedom's position, Rllothringer, that when you boil all the magic cures down and quitting aids to the very basics there is only one way on earth for those dependent upon nicotine to begin adjusting to living without it.

We know that the American Cancer Society's Cancer Facts 2003 report again asserts that that 91.2% of all successful long-term quitters quit entirely on their on own without hypnosis, herbs, acupuncture, extra vitimans, bupropion (Wellbutrin/ Zyban), any nicotine weaning products , or any formal programs such as ours.

They did it entirely on their own, most after a few tries during which they began to appreciate the power of the chemical they were dealing with. It's what this forum is about, teaching their method and the true power of one puff of nicotine.

Statistically I could combine peanut butter and acorns, market it as a new quitting aid and expect to generate a 10% midyear success rate and a 5% one year success rate - the historic on-your-own quitting rates. I could then take testimonials from the 10% at midyear and use them to sell my new quitting technique to thousands. If standing alone a product or program does not increase long-term quitting rates above normal on-your-own rates, is it not a fraud upon smokers to lead them to believe it does?

There is absolutely nothing any quitter needs to succeed but dreams and desires, something I don't think they'll find in a product or pill. In the end, regardless of method, it all boils down to robust reasons fueling patient desire to not use nicotine today , to Never Take Another Puff! John

GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)

14 Sep 2004, 04:30 #16

If you want to fool yourself and try to fool the rest of the world that you are successfully smoke free or nicotine free for any specific length of time go right on ahead. But don't waste Freedom's time with such nonsense. Post about a relapse and an adjusted quitmeter and your message will be gone in a flash along with your membership.

For the record, the only quitmeter measurement date that is valid at Freedom is the very last date you administered nicotine.

Joel

AntiqueRadioGuy2

01 Oct 2004, 05:02 #17

Great string!

I wondered about it myself--having stopped smoking 3 weeks before I "got it" and ripped off that patch. When you stop ingesting nicotine, you're free! I don't know about the other many thousands of chemicals in the cigarettes--but you just can't get free until the addictive agent is metabolized out.

Randy

29 Days Free (not 50 days)

Joel

18 May 2005, 20:58 #18

From above:

Image I see that this one has not been brought up in almost three months now. That is a good sign that our members are all pretty much on the same page now, recognizing that they are here specifically because they finally want to be free from being controlled by nicotine. Its great to want to quit to extend your life but breaking free of nicotine can bring out more more benefits than just living longer. It can improve your overall quality of life that having to maintain an active addiction complicates in many ways. The way to really be free is to permanently end all deliver of all nicotine replacement products and as far the smoked form of tobacco goes, just always remembering to never take another puff!

Joel

Also from above. Luckily we don't have to deal with these kind of incident anymore:
I pulled a string earlier from a person who wrote her first post at Freedom saying she had recently relapsed and now asking if she should reset her quit meter. Boy did she pick the wrong group of quitters to ask that question. I thought I better bring this one up in case anyone else ever faces a similar dilemma.

For the record, it is said often at most sites that whether or not you reset your quitmeter is up to you. We agree--if you relapse it is up to you whether or not you reset your quit meter. If you want to fool yourself and try to fool the rest of the world that you are successfully smoke free go right on ahead. But don't waste Freedom's time with such foolishness. Post your relapse and your message will be gone in a flash along with your membership.

Lying to yourself or others will not secure your quit. Constantly reminding yourself of the truth will though. The truth is that the only way that you can guarantee that you will always be able to stay smoke free is to always remember to never take another puff!

Joel

Joel

27 Aug 2005, 19:10 #19

We always have a few people who found us after starting out with NRT quits or who had previous quits where they utilized NRTs. We just want to make it clear that this quit is different because by going cold turkey the person quitting is actually getting nicotine out of his or her system system and will soon be totally out of withdrawal. Then to avoid ever facing withdrawal again is as simple as always remembering to never take another puff!
Joel

GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)

02 Nov 2005, 08:41 #20

For the record, the only quitmeter measurement date that is valid at Freedom is the very last date you administered nicotine.