Not One Puff, Just for Today.

Gormo Gold
Gormo Gold

September 30th, 2001, 7:13 pm #1

Good Morning, Freedom! Time is a very strange thing. It is the measure of all we do. We use it to measure the length of Our Quit. We post about how long we have been nicotine free. We give our milestones, colors so that others may know the level of our success by glancing at the suffix attached to our name.

To look into the infinite future is frightening. Its scope is immeasurable. It is unmanageable in its entirety. That is why we quit One Day at A Time. One day, a 24 hour period, has a specific start and finish. It IS manageable. It gives us the ability to feel in control. And feeling in control is a valuable tool as we journey down Freedom,s path.

Yet, we look at the past quite differently. " Where did the time go?, Didn't time just fly by! " Do we measure past time differently than future time? Of course not. We certainly LOOK at it differently, but its measurement in minutes and hours remains the same for both the future and the past.

When the road gets bumpy, or the urge to, " actively feed " (I love that one, John!) clouds your mind, don't think about how far you have to go to the next milestone. Think instead, how far you have come. You made it through yesterday and the day before and that can never be changed. You have proven to yourself that you are capable of keeping Your Quit. That strength from the past is your armor for the future.

If you spend too much time worrying about the future, you'll miss out on the present.

Wouldn't that be a shame?

Gormo Been Quit a coupla months.
Last edited by Gormo Gold on February 17th, 2010, 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)
John (Gold)

September 30th, 2001, 8:09 pm #2

Excellent point Gormo! When I developed Freedom's color clubs I  think my quit was still just bronze and Joanne's was silver. Although they've been a fun way to mark achievement and foster pride, you're exactly right, each day that we allow our healing to continue is just as important as the day our quit turns gold! Let today's freedom be reason enough to celebrate! Although today I'll enjoy the blessings of living yet another wonderful day in my third year of complete and total comfort, I must never forget that I'll always remain just one puff of nicotine away from three packs a day! It's worth celebrating too! Thanks Gormo!
Breathe deep, hug hard, live long! YQB John : )
Last edited by John (Gold) on May 3rd, 2010, 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joel
Joel

September 30th, 2001, 8:22 pm #3

Hello Gormo:

I just brought up a couple of posts that touch upon this very theme. I am glad when a person reaches an annivesary mark and posts about it, whether it be a month, a years or a decade. It serves to show others that these marks are possible and that the person who reaches them is really pleased with their success.

But for the person who reaches the anniversary himself or herself, I always hope that he or she recognizes that the importance of the specific day is not that he or she reach a month, a year or a decade--that the important measurement now is a month and a day, or a year and a day or a decade and a day. For today is the day the person needs to concentrate on and needs to appreciate and celebrate as the real victory.

That is why I think everyone should feel happy and proud to be in the daily parades here, not just the people who made a "milestone." Everyone here makes a milestone every day they don't smoke. They will make a new one tonight too, and continue to make new milestones day by day as long as they always remember to never take another puff!

Joel

marty (gold)
marty (gold)

October 1st, 2001, 3:50 am #4

Great post, Gormo, very profound and well worth reading again and again.

It's interesting that so many of us quitters desperately want the weeks and months of our quit to rush by, and yet most of us don't want the rest of our lives to rush by at that speed. It's a measure of the fear we all have in the early months of our quit, that we feel the need of evidence of time passed to convince ourselves that we can really do it.

But of course you are absolutely right that the evidence we have is right there in front of us --- it's our past that proves what we can do in the future. The trick is just to recall our past successes as readily and as clearly as we worry about our futures !!!

Marty
NOT A PUFF for ten months : 5474 cigarettes not smoked saving £1,176.78 : 2 weeks, 5 days, added to my life

Treese (Silver)
Treese (Silver)

October 1st, 2001, 9:24 am #5

Hi Gormo!! What a speech. You sound like you're one of the olbies out there. Well at least you sound like your feeling some comfort from the education you've learned here. Very impressive summary. Just loved every word you had to say. Yes, that is exactly how I've been maintaining "my quit" is by taking one day at a time. Good job, Gormo!! I'll be seeing you soon in Bronzeville. Treese

Teeisfree GOLD
Teeisfree GOLD

October 1st, 2001, 9:34 am #6

"Actively feed"??? I hope to be far far away from that term-it is somehow too vampireish.
Aside from that I can relate to your post, but at this point in my quit I am comfortable with time. It is still one day at a time but smoking thoughts are not daily.Staying Quit does not feel overwhelming but very manageable.

Teeisfree GOLD
Teeisfree GOLD

October 1st, 2001, 9:47 am #7

Uh-Oh I am getting complacent again--one day at a time is surely the way to stay quit.

JERGOLD1
JERGOLD1

October 2nd, 2001, 2:23 am #8

I LIKE YOUR POST GORMO,
A FEW OF WEEKS AGO I STARTED THINKING ALONG THE TERMS OF NEVER SMOKING AGAIN. BEFORE THAT I JUST WORKED ON ONE MINUTE, ONE HOUR , ONE DAY, ONE WEEK AT A TIME. IT WAS THE ONLY WAY TO MAKE IT. BUT NOW I WANT TO START LIVING AS A PERSON THAT DOESN'T SMOKE, NOT ONE WHO IS JUST NOT SMOKING.
I HAVE THE STRENGTH TO START FEELING THIS WAY NOW.
I KEEP MY GUARD UP THOUGH, AND ALWAYS REMEMBER

NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF

JOHN
Four months, six days, 3 hours, 19 minutes and 20 seconds. 2582 cigarettes not smoked, saving $600.49. Life saved: 1 week, 1 day, 23 hours, 10 minutes.
Last edited by JERGOLD1 on May 3rd, 2010, 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maid n oz (Gold)
maid n oz (Gold)

October 2nd, 2001, 1:47 pm #9

Hi Gormo,

Well, what a way to look at it. You're absolutely right. Everyday is important. Some days are harder than others but each signifies a victory. You've given me something to think about. Thanks.

Kelli

JoeJFree Gold
JoeJFree Gold

August 31st, 2006, 7:14 pm #10

When the road gets bumpy, or the urge to, " actively feed " (I love that one, John!) clouds your mind, don't think about how far you have to go to the next milestone. Think instead, how far you have come. You made it through yesterday and the day before and that can never be changed. You have proven to yourself that you are capable of keeping Your Quit. That strength from the past is your armor for the future. ~ Gormo
Last edited by JoeJFree Gold on February 17th, 2010, 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JoeJFree Gold
JoeJFree Gold

December 24th, 2006, 11:21 pm #11

When the road gets bumpy, or the urge to, " actively feed " (I love that one, John!) clouds your mind, don't think about how far you have to go to the next milestone.

Think instead, how far you have come.

You made it through yesterday and the day before and that can never be changed.

You have proven to yourself that you are capable of keeping Your Quit.

That strength from the past is your armor for the future. ~ Gormo
Last edited by JoeJFree Gold on February 17th, 2010, 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sharry
Sharry

December 24th, 2006, 11:59 pm #12

Wise words - all we have is right here and right now - we learn from our past - and for nearly 3 weeks it's been nicotine free - and I've learnt I can live nicotine free - I'm enjoying NOW!

Sharry

I have been quit for 2 Weeks, 6 Days, 9 hours, 5 minutes and 10 seconds (20 days). I have saved £61.13 by not smoking 305 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Day, 1 hour and 25 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 04/12/2006 07:54

Just Hannes
Just Hannes

March 21st, 2007, 12:04 pm #13

I think JoeJ has a secret closet called wisdom somewhere.

'If you spend too much time worrying about the future, you'll miss out on the present.'

That's what it is all about. Live your life now. Even while quitting there is so much to enjoy..

I like getting older that's why I NTAP, but I hate getting older..

Frits (103 days)

kattatonic1 gold4
kattatonic1 gold4

September 17th, 2007, 11:17 pm #14

Last edited by kattatonic1 gold4 on February 17th, 2010, 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dennyb2
dennyb2

March 14th, 2008, 11:28 pm #15

Last edited by dennyb2 on February 17th, 2010, 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.