Noodle Soup

Subconscious use cue extinguishment

Noodle Soup

20 Jan 2005, 03:25 #1

I've read a few posts lately about long time quitters (any quit longer than mine) having some significant temptations with returning to nicotine on the bases of, sort of, well, sort of like peer pressure. I think it revolves around a feeling of…. comfort brings an unreal sense of boldness or ill contrived strength that would give an imagined ability to not be subject to the law of addiction, take a puff and have a quit survive while enjoying the company of co-workers or friends. This concerns me because I'm just a regular Joe and I pay attention to those on this road in front of me. It's not like I've got my eye on your rear but more like I intend to learn from those that go before me. So, I want a plan. I need a plan that is centered on NTAP yet adds an associative action that reinforces the reasons of my quit. To that end I say….. noodle soup. Yes, I said noodle soup. I think I will poor a very warm bowl of noodle soup over my head when those thoughts come. In that way I will remember how very stupid I was to have smoked in the first place and want to remain quit. Then when my smoking peers ask why I did it I'll say I am trying to relate to their habit. I want to feel a part of their group. As the long slimy warm noodles slide down my face on a bed of hot soup powered by the force of gravity I'll remember how I justified this slow, insane form of murder for 26 years just like my friends. As it leaps from my face to my lap I'll remember how much I wanted to quit every time I smoked, that actually there weren't many good smokes because the mental anguish of knowing the truth about my habit squashed the good part. And if my peers' laugh I'll remind them that I'm their friend and that they should respect my choices. After all I'm not hurting them.

I can just imagine that warm all over feeling that my soup will bring. Especially now that winters here. Heck I might even start a new fad! Yep, I think I will. Watch out smoking friends and co-workers! Its noodle soup to you all.

DeWitt

I have been quit 4 Months, 5 Days, 20 hours, 46 minutes and 28 seconds. I have not smoked 2,557 cigarettes (that's allot a smoke!). I have saved 1 Week, 1 Day, 21 hours and 5 minutes of my life. I WILL N.T.A.P. THERE CAN NEVER BE ONLY ONE!

20 Jan 2005, 03:33 #2

Hi DeWitt!

That's something a lot of us have done before education here. But see

Complacency is a big one, as is the belief that we are not addicts.... its "just a habit" we've brought under control.

There is another Joel post that talks about the top ten ways to know its time to come back to Freedom for some refresher reading.... including "you accidentally put your pen in your mouth and light it......"

On the other hand, worrying too far down the road is another way of saying "Forever".... and that's not a good word. One day at a time, even as comfort kicks in. And cute little slogans help too: One = All. You can't have one.

Hope this helps. I lost a 6 month (uneducated) quit once to trying "one". Smoked for the next 13 years. I'm now quit Two years, eleven months, one week, three days, 5 hours, 33 minutes and 49 seconds. 32256 cigarettes not smoked, saving $6,290.10. Life saved: 16 weeks, 0 minutes.

BillW

20 Jan 2005, 06:13 #3

Hey Bill!
It is very scary when I think about it. I don't think I'm anything extra and just as susceptible to these temptations as the next person. It is complacency that scares me most. This thing I call my Quit is extremly valuable to me now and I want it to stay that way. I read the link you provided, thanks. I guess my success for today will have to be enough.
DeWitt
I have been quit 4 Months, 5 Days, 23 hours, 31 minutes and 58 seconds. I have not smoked 2,559 cigarettes (that's allot a smoke!). I have saved 1 Week, 1 Day, 21 hours and 15 minutes of my life. I WILL N.T.A.P. THERE CAN NEVER BE ONLY ONE!

20 Jan 2005, 09:06 #4

DeWitt - I hope you are aware of the dangers in becoming dependent on a crutch to aid you in your quit - what if you forgot your thermos?

gordon, silver and cruzin' to gold

ps. - glad you and your quit are doing well !

20 Jan 2005, 21:16 #5

Right on Gordon!
And as long as it only happens once or twice a day!
I tried to think of something that seemed as dumb as smoking. When you think about it throwing that nick stick to your mouth and sucking in smoke is ridiculas! And I refuse to allow myself to feel anything but GREAT about my quit. You know it really is like someone turning on a light in a dark room. And if I'm going to be at all envious of smokers than I can do it with noodle soup.
DeWitt
I have been quit 4 Months, 6 Days, 14 hours, 35 minutes and 47 seconds. I have not smoked 2,572 cigarettes (that's allot a smoke!). I have saved 1 Week, 1 Day, 22 hours and 20 minutes of my life. I WILL N.T.A.P. THERE CAN NEVER BE ONLY ONE!

21 Jan 2005, 00:04 #6

Het Dewitt:

Let me know what brand of soup you're going to use so I can buy stock in that company. Get it...stock....oh boy I crack myself up!!

Bob
I have chosen not to give in to my junkie thoughts and inhale 4000+ chemical compounds and 43 known carcinogens into my lungs for 1 Year 6 Months 1 Week 6 Days 14 Hours 40 Minutes. Cigarettes not smoked: 11272. Money saved: $2,818.06.
Life gained back to share with future grandchildren 2 Mos 2 Wks 3 Days 6 Hrs 42 Mins 13 Secs
YESSSSSS!!!!!!

jas

21 Jan 2005, 02:53 #7

DeWitt,
Along with other great theorems, such as Einsteins Relativity and The Big Bang, the Noodle Soup Theorem is bound to both enlighten and cause contraversy. Only those who dare to go "there" will understand its effectiveness - Those who dare not will call it preposterous. Me ... Well just imagining you with a bowl on your head and so elegantly adorned in chicken stock, noodles and perhaps tiny litle meatballs is enough to convince me that I have found the right place to support my nicotine free life.

Waiter, check please.

Joseph
99 days - One bowl of soup at a time.

21 Jan 2005, 04:58 #8

Hi DeWitt,

You're right! As silly as the image of wearing your favorite noodle soup is smoking is even dumber. Thanks for the laugh.

yqf

Lorraine GoldX3

21 Jan 2005, 05:05 #9

Noodle soup???

Just wanting to make sure you can always come back and get some more! Don't get complacent, DeWitt, stay with the soup.

Loved your post ... and the replies. Just what I needed right now - thank you.

Gitte
55 days and a bit

21 Jan 2005, 10:38 #10

DeWitt:

I think I would like to use New England Clam Chowder. Not only would it be warm and creamy, but you could call me a chowderhead and be absolutely on the mark!

Mmm....chowder....
Amy
Free and Healing for Seventeen Days, 14 Hours and 23 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 1 Day and 19 Hours, by avoiding the use of 528 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $132.09.

09 Jul 2006, 22:28 #11

Just for a little fun on a Sunday. But maybe not a bad idea for dealing with those craves???

11 Sep 2007, 09:43 #12

To some, quitting cold turkey is as perposterous an idea as "Noodle Soup", but consider the benefits of both. Cold Turkey and Hot Soup - It's what's for dinner!

Joseph
Gold x2