None or All. Why I choose none Parade

None or All. Why I choose none Parade

OBob Gold

10 Feb 2003, 07:13 #1

Freedom provides a ton of information on quitting smoking. Some of it offers a view of the comfortable road ahead as an ex-smoker, thus removing much of the fear. Some offers a view of the alternative.... life and death as a smoker. Most boils down to reinforcing the fundamental concept: The Law of Addiction.

In short, smoking, and by extension quitting.... they're all or nothing propositions. There is no in between. It's smoke or don't smoke... freedom or slavery.... success or failure.... for the addict, there is no such thing as one cigarette. One = All
I often boil it down thusly when offering support.
None or All. Why choose none?
or
I can smoke none or I can smoke all of them. I choose to smoke none because... (fill in the blank).
And, there's the point of this little parade. The "why". Of all the things Freedom offers, it cannot ultimately nail the latter half of the equation. That has to come from within. Each of us has our own reasons why we quit. Some have to do with health... some with life.... some with cost...social reasons..... the important thing is that, for us to be successful, the reasons for undertaking this journey must come from within. We quit for ourselves and ourselves alone.
OUR reasons are the foundation upon which every choice between none or all rests.
So..... This parade is an opportunity to fill in the blank. One reason, 20 reasons. Vague or specific.
I can smoke none or I can smoke all of them. I choose to smoke none because... (fill in the blank). Have fun...
ImageBob
Last edited by OBob Gold on 14 Sep 2009, 00:52, edited 1 time in total.

OBob Gold

10 Feb 2003, 07:16 #2

I wrote these down when I first quit:

I can smoke none or I can smoke all of them. I choose to smoke none because...
  • The phlegm-filled, coughing, gagging, shaking spasms that always marked my abandonment of previous quits, and lasted through the 3 horrid-tasting chain-smoked, cough-inducing cigarettes it took to crawl back out of withdrawal and into dependency
  • Sneaking cigarettes in the bathrooms of non-smoking hotel rooms, and using steam from the shower, perfumed soap, and wide open windows in mid-winter to try to get rid of the evidence.
  • The severe lethargy and irritability that set in during the last 3 or 4 puffs on a cigarette. The first several puffs would often provide relief, but the last few almost always caused me to feel exhausted and weak -- probably Carbon Monoxide poisoning.
  • Littering the ground with my butts.
  • Unhappiness from my wife, who loves me, and wanted me to quit, but couldn't help.
  • Annoyed looks from people who are put off by the reek from my addiction in public places.
  • The lack of self-esteem and confidencethat comes with knowing you are a slave to something as hideous as tobacco smoke.
  • Making bad colds and bronchitis worse because of my addiction
  • Arguing with my wife over smoking inside.
  • The despair of another broken quit.
  • The tobacco hangover
  • Trying to get to sleep with my heart pounding in my skull after smoking several cigarettes right before bed.
  • Being a poor example to children that I care about, but to whom I could only give empty advice, when I saw them take up smoking (as I say, not as I do).
  • The acrid stench of my apartment the morning after a night of smoking in it.
  • Freezing my butt off during the winter months -- California doesn't allow smoking in pubs or restaurants.
  • Disapproving looks from friends who can't understand how somebody could be so stupid as to smoke.
  • Weekend withdrawals, the accompanying moodiness, and corresponding arguments with my wife and soulmate, during every weekend (almost all of them) that I thought I was going to quit, but didn't.
ImageBob
Time not smoked: 1 Year 1 Month 4 Days 10 Hours 16 Minutes 29 Seconds
Smokes not toked: 4805
Cash not spent: $1,201.28
Life, self-esteem, smell, taste, health, happiness saved: Priceless

valeriescleanGOLD

10 Feb 2003, 07:19 #3

I can smoke none or I can smoke all of them. I choose to smoke none because I haven't felt this great since as long as I can remember since I quit smoking. I can lift weights like there is no tommorrow and I feel like I can do ANYTHING without nicotine!
Valerie
1 Month, 1 Week, 1 Day of FAN-TAB-U-LOUS FREEDOM!

TJOHNgold

10 Feb 2003, 08:02 #4

I chose none because I was at the end of my rope on how the deadly addiction of nicotene was controlling every aspect of my life- it was affecting my relationships with people and my enviroment. I also was conserned about scary health conserns popping up...like an inflamation under my tongue that only went away when I would quit. Well it's 7 months later and I can't believe I didn't do it sooner. I didn't think I could. And it really is livable without it. I lift weights 5 times a week (had quit doing that a couple years ago...they don't let you smoke at the gym). And mentally...it's a new me and I like and respect myself much more. It's 7 months and I KNOW I'll never take another puff!!!
T-JOHN
Getting easier and easier and better and better at: 7 Months 15 Hours 9 Minutes 52 Seconds. Cigarettes not smoked: 8625. Money saved: $1,509.42.

Tubes GOLD

10 Feb 2003, 08:18 #5

I can smoke none or I can smoke all of them. I choose to smoke none because:
  1. I want to live long enough to celebrate my niece and nephews graduating from high school....especially if I do not have children of my own
  2. I do not want suffer the ill health that would eventually be mine if I continued to smoke
  3. I do not want to be a slave to anyone or anything
  4. I want more time to ride my hog.........and then.........
Just some of the reasons.

Tubes

1 Week

16 Minutes

189 NOT smoked cigarettes

$50.64 Saved toward my Heritage Springer

marypGold

10 Feb 2003, 08:49 #6

I can smoke none or I can smoke none.I choose to smoke none because:

I want to live to see my five grandkids grow up:
I do'nt want to cough and be congested all the time:
I want to be able to sleep through the night and not wake myself up wheezing:
I want to be in controll of my life,instead of letting a cigarette controll me:
I want to be able to take a deep breath and not feel like my lungs will collaspe:
I want to save money to do other things with instead of letting it go up in smoke:
I want to live and know that I'm now doing what I can to fight off cancer and
other smoke related diseases:
I can say that I'm really proud to be a ex-smoker:

Winnie One month, one week, two days, 7 hours, 3 minutes and 6 seconds. 805 cigarettes not smoked, saving $128.94. Life saved: 2 days, 19 hours, 5 minutes.

smokefreeJD Gold

10 Feb 2003, 09:53 #7

I chose none because:

- I never ever want to go back to that dark period in my life. And that's really what it was. I'd never been more depressed, tired, pessimistic and hopeless before. I feel like a veil has been lifted and I did a complete turn around.
- There are just TOO many interesting things I want to see around the globe and too little time. Not only would smoking shorten my life but it would also put huge stressors on travel and worrying about feeding my addiction in a foreign country. Now I just don't have to worry.
- A combination of what everyone else has pretty much said already.

Jill
4 Months 1 Week

janetd (GOLD)

10 Feb 2003, 10:02 #8

I can smoke none or I can smoke all of them. I choose to smoke none because:

Otherwise I would have to smoke all of them, and relinquish control of my comings and goings to Old Nicodemon. Being pulled out onto the street at work, 31 floors down, while under pressure to make a deadline. I couldn't work effectively when my nicotine level needed to be replenished so off I went. Then needing to work over-time to get everything else done that needed doing.

Not taking the train from Boston to New York City for fear of the withdrawal. Thinking I could jump out and grab a quick smoke at one of the Connecticut stations, and fearing the train would leave without me with my disabled husband still on board. Too risky, don't go to New York.

Yeah, let's not mistake what One really means. You have one, then another, and eventually your back to square one, a full-fledged smoker, and then it's Old Nic calling the shots again. This is our addiction and it's never going to leave us. That's the choice: All or None. I'm choosing to Never Take Another Puff!

Thanks for the parade, Bob! Good one!

yqs, Janet :)
One Year Two Months +

Parker GOLD

10 Feb 2003, 10:23 #9

I can smoke none or I can smoke all of them. I choose to smoke none because...

I was just so tired of being controlled by a drug.
I was just so tired of buying cigarettes and lighting them and smoking them and putting them out and emptying the ashtrays of them.
I was just so tired of worrying about being careless and burning my house down.
I was just so tired of worrying about every chest pain.
I was just so tired of stinking.
I was just so tired of the endless and ever-increasing amounts of money spent on cigarettes.
I was just so tired of breaking promises to myself about quitting.
I was just so tired of feeling like a failure.
I was just so tired of engaging in an activity that I knew to be pointless, self-destructive, environmentally appaling and totally disgusting.
I was just so tired of obsessing about quitting.

The fantasy
The reality
Parker - Not tired at all of 8 months of freedom & healing. Thanks, OBob!
Last edited by Parker GOLD on 20 Feb 2009, 16:32, edited 2 times in total.

Andy (Bronze)

10 Feb 2003, 10:29 #10

I choose none because:
1. The want/need to have control.
2. The health risks of smokeless tobacco
3. Smokeless Tobacco is a nasty habit that is repulsive to others.
4. No more nasty spit cups/bottles left in my vehicle or in the house.
5. The irritability that I demonstrate with my family.
6 Always thinking about my next dip(fix).
7.Letting my addiction be the most important thing in my life.
8. Who wants to kiss somebody who has had tobacco juice in their mouth.
9. It was a poor example to others.
10. It was not a proper reflection of my walk as a Christian.
11. More money for other things