No Magic Here

whosthisitsmesilly

24 Sep 2007, 06:23 #31

I learned to stop smoking Image a number of times Image I always said it was, the staying stopped, that was the hardest.
But after reading and reading on this site and learning Never Take Another Puff was the answer to Staying stopped

Forgot the most important bit

I have been quit for 1 Year, 6 Months, 2 Weeks, 1 Day, 12 hours, 28 minutes and 43 seconds (564 days). I have saved £2,540.33 by not smoking 11,290 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Month, 1 Week, 1 Day, 4 hours and 50 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 08/03/2006 11:04

Cathy xx
Last edited by whosthisitsmesilly on 15 Mar 2010, 20:49, edited 1 time in total.

BillW Gold.ffn

16 Mar 2008, 21:30 #32

Hi JuleBull:

As far as I know, Hillbilly (aka real name Dave) has never relapsed since his 2002 quit. He is an active member of an alumnus group, and I believe he is still off nicotine.

I quit in 2001. I am not the BillW who posted a year earlier and vanished.

Screen names get re-used, especially the simple ones, and we used to change them regularly to include our color group.

The rules of this group changed when there was a very public relapse of an 'oldbie', that shocked many of the members. That would have been about 2003. Since then, you do not get to relapse and rejoin. Since the managers have actual names and email addresses, that is enforcable.

Oh, and the oldbie who relapsed? He successfully quit again, and remained nicotine free until his very untimely death about 18 months ago.

Many of us have relapsed (not while Freedom members...) Its how you learn that the Law of Addiction is unbreakable. The only way to curcumvent it is to Never Take Another Puff.

(Now where have I heard that????)

YQB BillW Six years, one month, one week, 66839 cigarettes not smoked, saving $13,200.78. Life saved: 33 weeks, 1 day, 1 hour, 55 minutes.

Hillbilly(Gold)

17 Mar 2008, 08:00 #33

Just popped in and caught this. Don't know what JuleBull asked, but my friend BillW tells the truth--since April 2002 I have had no nicotine of any form.

To verify what I wrote so many years ago, there is no magic involved in quitting--just day after day of not taking nicotine into my body. It's simple, not easy, but simple.

I've said that so many times, but at this point in my quit it has actually become easy as well as simple. I no longer stress over my quit; it has become a part of me that will remain with me as long as I live.

Bottom line, you couldn't take a gun to my head and make me smoke. I just don't do that any more.

Dave

Sal GOLD.ffn

01 Nov 2008, 06:53 #34

ImageFrom above:

I watch newcomers here searching for the magic solution to their problem. That's human nature and I don't criticize that search. Those of us who have been quit a little longer know that it's not magic and never will be. It is one day after another of just not smoking today. It that sounds simplistic, it's because it is. It really is that simple. Just do not smoke today. There's no money to be made from that approach, but it is the one that works.

If you're thinking about quitting or if you're in your first few days or weeks of a quit, please know that it really is simple. Simple does not mean easy, it means uncomplicated. There are no magic bullets, just one day after another of not receiving nicotine into your body.

Joe J free

17 Mar 2010, 04:05 #35

an exceprt from Dave's original post:
"........It's the same way with smoking. There is no cure for nicotine addiction. There is no magic pill or patch or gum or shot that will make our problem go away. The only thing that makes our problem go away is abstinence from nicotine and that's a tough withdrawal to get through. No one makes any money from nicotine abstinence and cold turkey quitting is not popular because smokers think it's too tough."
Like Dave I too wish I could let folks who have not (yet) cleansed themselves of nicotine, or who are just beginning to uncover the real person buried under the mountain of denial and rationalizations that come with nicotine addiction, see what it feels like to live as 'just me' naturally. Living FREE is simply wonderful... it feels like how my life was meant to be - should have been all along.
Stay the course newbie. This road of recovery is Not always easy but as Dave says it is essentially simple, just ntap.... and live free.

The smoking dream
  - pretty universal occurence and a normal part of our recovery.

FreedomStaff

16 Apr 2012, 10:38 #36

Image[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]From above:[/font][font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF][/font][font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]I watch newcomers here searching for the magic solution to their problem. That's human nature and I don't criticize that search. Those of us who have been quit a little longer know that it's not magic and never will be. It is one day after another of just not smoking today. It that sounds simplistic, it's because it is. It really is that simple. Just do not smoke today. There's no money to be made from that approach, but it is the one that works.

If you're thinking about quitting or if you're in your first few days or weeks of a quit, please know that it really is simple. Simple does not mean easy, it means uncomplicated. There are no magic bullets, just one day after another of not receiving nicotine into your body.
[/font]

BillW Gold.FreedomFromTobaccoQuitSmokingNow

21 Apr 2012, 23:13 #37

Congratulations, old Friend......

... and few people realize just how many ladies you have motivated to quit with your famous phrase....

"I don't smoke and I don't chew, and I don't go with girls who do...."

Image    Bill W...

FreedomStaff

26 Apr 2012, 10:50 #38

[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]From above:[/font]
[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF][/font][font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]I watch newcomers here searching for the magic solution to their problem. That's human nature and I don't criticize that search. Those of us who have been quit a little longer know that it's not magic and never will be. It is one day after another of just not smoking today. It that sounds simplistic, it's because it is. It really is that simple. Just do not smoke today. There's no money to be made from that approach, but it is the one that works.

[/font]