No Magic Here

kattatonic1 gold4

26 Apr 2004, 06:56 #21

Now how did I miss this one? Great post Hillbilly! We've all ordered too many pizzas that are free if not delivered in 30 minutes, I do believe.

A wise friend once told me that the concert pianist is not the one that dreams the hardest about the stage, the lights, the audience, or even the music. A concert pianist is the one who is willing to practice every day.

~ Kay ~
4+ Months

Starshinegrl Gold

20 Jan 2005, 02:20 #22

Image haven't read this before ... but so true! Thank you, Hillbilly!!

Gitte
54 days and a bit

Pryde65 GOLD

20 Jan 2005, 02:32 #23

Love this one too...I see Hillbilly Dave is getting alot of "air-time" lately...glad to see it. Always a good read and always on the mark.

Thanks!!!

Sue -Free for Four Months, Six Days, 15 Hours and 2 Minutes, living an extra 14 Days and 7 Hours, didn't smoke 4116 cigs, and saving $868.96.

Sal GOLD.ffn

05 Apr 2006, 03:01 #24

ImageFrom above:

I watch newcomers here searching for the magic solution to their problem. That's human nature and I don't criticize that search. Those of us who have been quit a little longer know that it's not magic and never will be. It is one day after another of just not smoking today. It that sounds simplistic, it's because it is. It really is that simple. Just do not smoke today. There's no money to be made from that approach, but it is the one that works.

If you're thinking about quitting or if you're in your first few days or weeks of a quit, please know that it really is simple. Simple does not mean easy, it means uncomplicated. There are no magic bullets, just one day after another of not receiving nicotine into your body.

ChurnedSue

23 Apr 2006, 21:01 #25

ImageIt all lies within ourselves
NTAP
Thanks Dave
SueImage
free for 3 months and 23 days

FoolishWorkinj

24 Apr 2006, 08:11 #26

"It is one day after another of just not smoking today."

What is hard is living a new way.

Mitzi499

26 Jun 2006, 08:25 #27

I just loved this - it's so pertinent and really raps our knuckles about thinking there should be a quick fix for everything. We are lazy about dealing with life, preferring to believe there must be an easy way to solve problems, instead of learning and applying knowledge to reach a solution.

Dave, as usual, has pointed out that all the wisdom we need is within ourselves. We just need to keep putting in the work required, apply the requisite amount of patience, and our dreams will become reality. There are no quick fixes - there is only life and how we choose to live it.

One day at a time makes perfect sense. That it doable for us all.

(And this one needs to go in my journal too, along with some other Hillbilly Classics. Some o' them thar darn hillbillies shore are purty wise. Thanks Dave.)

Maria - 68 days free after 38 years

Sal GOLD.ffn

24 Jul 2006, 08:43 #28

ImageFrom above:

There is no cure for nicotine addiction. There is no magic pill or patch or gum or shot that will make our problem go away. The only thing that makes our problem go away is abstinence from nicotine and that's a tough withdrawal to get through. No one makes any money from nicotine abstinence and cold turkey quitting is not popular because smokers think it's too tough.
I watch newcomers here searching for the magic solution to their problem. That's human nature and I don't criticize that search. Those of us who have been quit a little longer know that it's not magic and never will be. It is one day after another of just not smoking today. It that sounds simplistic, it's because it is. It really is that simple. Just do not smoke today. There's no money to be made from that approach, but it is the one that works.

If you're thinking about quitting or if you're in your first few days or weeks of a quit, please know that it really is simple. Simple does not mean easy, it means uncomplicated. There are no magic bullets, just one day after another of not receiving nicotine into your body.
Last edited by Sal GOLD.ffn on 15 Mar 2010, 20:42, edited 1 time in total.

JoeJFree Gold

26 Apr 2007, 10:54 #29

I just had the opportunity to explain this exact thing to a couple folks.

an exceprt from Dave's original post:
"........It's the same way with smoking. There is no cure for nicotine addiction. There is no magic pill or patch or gum or shot that will make our problem go away. The only thing that makes our problem go away is abstinence from nicotine and that's a tough withdrawal to get through. No one makes any money from nicotine abstinence and cold turkey quitting is not popular because smokers think it's too tough."
Like Dave I too wish I could let folks who have not cleansed themselves of nicotine or who are just beginning to uncover the real person buried under the mountain of denial and rationalizations that come with nicotine addiction what it feels like to live as 'just me' naturally. It is simply wonderful... it feels like how my life was meant to be - should have been all along. Stay the course newbie. This road of recovery is Not always easy but as Dave says it is essentially simple, just ntap.... and live free.

Joe J
Last edited by JoeJFree Gold on 15 Mar 2010, 20:44, edited 1 time in total.

Freein07

26 Apr 2007, 11:15 #30

Wow! Just read Dave's first post from 2002. We all want that magic bullet that will make life, and the hard stuff that comes with it, a breeze. In the end it all boils down to one day after another of not smoking. Can't get much simpler than that. Why did it take me 38 years to get here? Oh yeah! Denial!! Image

Ione

I have been quit for 3 Months, 2 Weeks, 5 Days, 20 hours, 14 minutes and 7 seconds (109 days). I have saved $702.99 by not smoking 1,757 cigarettes. I have saved 6 Days, 2 hours and 25 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 1/6/2007 12:01 AM