Nicotine vs. Heroin

Nicotine vs. Heroin

Farnk Gold

04 Oct 2002, 21:14 #1

As I read over the materials here, I see a LOT of truth. The type of truth we all KNOW is truth, but deny anyway. I know because I've done it many times. In fact, I quit smoking just a couple of months ago! I went about 4 days. Then I took a puff. "Just one won't hurt me," I thought, knowing all the while that I CAN'T control how much and how often. I KNEW that one puff would lead to more, but I gave in and bummed one off a friend. ****, I gave up 4 days and had to start at zero again. Might as well buy a pack and control my smoking to only two a day. Yeah, right! Finished the pack within two days and was back to 1.5 packs a day again. Lesson: Joel's TRUTH, "Never Take Another Puff"

Joel

04 Oct 2002, 21:35 #2

Are you a nicotine junkie?
The one attribute that shows the addictive nature of nicotine
is not how hard or how easy it is to quit, nor is it
how hard or easy it is for an individual to stay off smoking.
The one true property that shows the power of the addiction
is that no matter how long a person is off, one puff and that
quit can go out the window.
Don't ever try to prove to yourself that you were not addicted.
You were addicted to nicotine all of the years you used it and
you are addicted to it today too. But as an ex-smoker the
addiction becomes asymptomatic. To keep it that way and
to basically stay in control always remember to
Never Take Another Puff!
Joel

John (Gold)

04 Oct 2002, 21:35 #3

This is the gif I use Frank and I know that Joel has one too because I used his in both my clinic and seminar PowerPoint presentations. Thanks for sharing your wonderful insights. In presenting all the info on heroin/nicotine comparisons at WhyQuit's Addiction 101 link I've had no choice but to rely upon science, governments and the conclusions of others. It's sad yet also reassuring that every once in a while we have a member who has recoved from heroin dependency let the group know that the addiction and recovery warning label on Canadian cigarettes is true. Thanks Frank! If you've got a better image you can email me I'll be happy to get on my hands and knees and beg Mrs.Toast (Melissa) to doctor it up for us. Today is doable Frank! Breathe deep, hug hard, live long! John
The above image is located in the Drug Addiction photo album and as other images you'll find, is available for use by all members when posting.

Joel

04 Oct 2002, 21:49 #4

Hello again Frank:

I see John just brought up the other image too. Your message of addiction is important and I am glad we have someone who can speak on the issue who has had multiple addictions and can shed some first hand experiences and insights on the topic.

One other thing that I wanted to comment on from your post is about how cigarettes are a terrible waste of time and the idea of "smoking breaks." It is amazing what the logic of a smoker is in regarding these little breaks. It starts with a smoker popping into drug withdrawal, breaking his or her train of thought or physical stride, and then saying or thinking to himself or herself, "Oh, I think I need a break, I better go get a cigarette."

What you will soon realize after quitting is that you will all of a sudden start projects and then follow them through to completion without taking these breaks. You will generally get them done significantly faster and more accurately for you won't have those constant breaks distracting you from the projects. Soon you will realize the truth of what smoking was doing to you time wise all those years.

It was never that you were needing a break and thus going for cigarettes. It was that you were NEEDING cigarettes and then having to take breaks. The week you quit your efficiency may suffer, but you will make up for that lost time in a matter of days, and soon you will find yourself a more efficient person for the rest of your life.

To keep this newfound efficiency, as well as all of the other benefits of no longer being controlled by cigarettes is as simple as always remembering now to never take another puff!

Joel

marty (gold)

04 Oct 2002, 22:05 #5

Hello Frank, and welcome to Freedom

That's a powerful message you posted. It's strange, but in my smoking days I always used to read about drug addicts, and see movies about them, and I always used to thank God that I wasn't "one of them". I grew up in the 1960's, when it seemed that everyone was experimenting with cannabis and LSD, and then cocaine and heroin, and Iused to take a certain pride in having resisted that pervading drug culture. Oh boy, was I ever deluding myself !!!!

It was only so much later that I realized I was a fully paid-up subscriber to the drug culture of my youth .... but my drug was a socially (and politically) approved drug called nicotine. In later years, I discovered that many of my friends and acquantances from the 60s, whom I used to despise for their drug usage, had quit their drugs totally, while I was still inescapably hooked on mine. I guess that's when I discovered the truth in what you have said about the strength of nicotine addiction.

And here we are, you and I, representing the affirmation of the power of the human spirit. Two people who have lived in the abyss of addiction, and whose inner voice has told them that there is a better way. Two people who have met through the power of that spirit, and the strength of a commitment to find that better way, and to live a life as it was meant to be lived.

Thanks for joining us, Frank, and thanks for your insight.

Marty
NOT A PUFF for one year, ten months, three days: 12111 cigarettes not smoked saving $4,238.88: LIFE SAVED 6 weeks

Farnk Gold

04 Oct 2002, 22:07 #6

Yikes! I didn't want to sound like a Know-It-All. I certainly do not! If Mrs. Toast is our graphics doctor and she accepts this mission, the angle is all that needs to be changed. Even more so than in Joel's photo.
And Joel - you literally brought a tear to my eye with the statement, "one puff and that quit can go out the window." It's the God's honest truth. I know. I lived it.
I realized that I didn't mention that even after the rehab, I slipped. About two weeks after leaving, I thought, "Just one won't hurt me. I can control it now." Yeah, right! I purchased on bag and went back that same night for three more bags. I continued for a few days, realized that you don't get a second chance in a rehab, so I had to cold turkey it. I thank God for giving me a third chance at life. 16 years now and it's still a reality... one is too many... and the same goes with puffing!
Frank... hours away from ONE FULL WEEK

Lilac (Bronze)

04 Oct 2002, 22:10 #7

Hey, Frank,
Worth waiting a much longer time for. Inspirational in it's candor and humility. Thank you for an unforgettable post.
I have always wondered at the comparison between a heroin and a nicotine addiction and ease or(unease) of defeating the addiction.
Take care, Lilac 2m$w

Rickgoldx5

04 Oct 2002, 22:15 #8

Welcome to Freedom Frank!
I too have a second addiction and I remember my doctor asking me which was harder to quit alcohol or cigs? I looked at him and without hesitation I said cigs!
I drank for many years and have been off it for 15yrs. Today is my 5th month off the nicotine and it sure is Freedom. So congrats, read, keep posting and one day at a time you will know the benifits of a smoke free life!Image
YQB
Rick
Five months, 2 hours, 15 minutes and 42 seconds. 12553 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,876.78. Life saved: 6 weeks, 1 day, 14 hours, 5 minutes.

Toast (GOLD )

04 Oct 2002, 22:16 #9

Ohhhh! I love begging! Image

Really tho, send anything along and I'll get to it sooner than later. Image

Welcome Frank!

Image Melissa

Joel

04 Oct 2002, 22:27 #10

Here Frank:

I think you will find this one real enlightening: Some new findings on Nicotine Addiction