Nicotine vs. Heroin

Joel

14 Feb 2003, 22:50 #21

Image I see Frank is celebrating his three-month anniversary being smoke free. I thought it would be a good time to bring up his original string here. Frank discussed in his three-month post today how it was pretty hard for quite a while and now how comfort finally starting to set in. I am pretty sure the day Frank started posting I started bringing up quite a few posts addressing how that when I have people who are in recovery from other addictions that they often have a harder time than "average." They are not only trying to break free from a primary addiction, they are often trying to break free from the crutch used in another addiction. While they often have a harder time, they are usually more successful at quitting for they in deed understand the concept and the laws of addiction. If not they would not be in recovery from their other drug of choice but rather they would be very actively using.

I am mentioning this here for a two-fold purpose. One is to acknowledge how happy I am to see Frank still around and reading and now posting. I am glad when I find out anyone is still around reading whether they are posting or not. I also want to make it clear that even people who by other life circumstances may have a harder time in quitting, that they can still be successful and eventually reach states of comfort that they may never have believed were going to happen for themselves.

Thanks Frank for showing others that there is life after smoking and that there is continued recovery after smoking. As was done in your original string here, you helped give us all a lesson in drug addiction. The lesson you have shared is that no matter how much a person may believe that he or she can never overcome an addiction, that quitting is possible and long-term success is achievable as long as you always remember what you are fighting and remember that to win the fight is as easy as just always knowing to never take another puff!

Joel

wcsdancer (Gold)

15 Feb 2003, 00:28 #22

"One is too many, and a thousand is not enough."
This is one of the most powerful statements I have read since joining Freedom. And your post was amazing. Thank you Frank for taking the time to share the most personal and painful experiences in your life. I know many will benefit from your truths.
I have a question...do you "miss" smoking like you've "missed" heroin? I have learned not to miss smoking/nicotine by constant mental repitition of the reasons I quit. Any time a pleasant memory of smoking popped up, I immediately replaced it with the ugly truth. At this point, the fantasy/charm/seduction of smoking has been obliterated for me. And I am determined to Never Take Another Puff. Does it work the same way with heroin?
Thanks again for your original post Frank. Since I missed your bronze celebration I send you my CONGRATULATIONS today, even though a little belated. You are an amazing survivor! I'm proud to call you my "quit bro".
*Candy*
1 Year 3 Months 5 Days 12 Hours 30 Minutes 29 Seconds. Cigarettes not smoked: 5550. Money saved: $1,248.81.

Joel

01 Apr 2003, 19:32 #23

IrishLotus GOLD

23 Oct 2003, 00:51 #24

ImageFor Shay...

Oh, and I found it interesting that everyone who first responded to this thread (over a year ago) has since gone gold. Congratulations all...and good luck Shay!
ImageLotus
Gold CLub!

Shay

24 Oct 2003, 03:47 #25

Thanks Lotus, still hangin in there at 5 days 15 minutes. My body has stopped screaming. The worst is definitely over as far as pain goes, but the committee in my head has other ideas. I was laid-off from my job last Monday and have now decided to change everything. Since quitting nicotine all my goals and desires have changed, is this normal? I am now faced with the pressure of trying to find a new job while quitting smoking, or staying quit, I should say. The two seem slightly incompatible for me, lol. There is nothing I abhor more than looking for a new job.

Anyway, a few minutes ago my mind suggested that I just go buy a pack and smoke until I find a job. Since I will be up a creek anyway if I don't find a new job soon, might as well make the search easier while smoking. I could just quit again a couple weeks into my new job. But I am determined this time to not smoke, and I thank you Joel for repeating the mantra NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF! I really wish I could have chosen a more rational time to quit, but this is it. And besides, since when have I ever thought rationally? If anyone has any suggestions to make my job search easier, I would really welcome it. Lately it has been nearly impossible for me to speak on the phone, much less put my happy face on and go to an interview.

Shay

IrishLotus GOLD

24 Oct 2003, 04:12 #26

You're very welcome Shay. Regarding your comment:
Since I will be up a creek anyway if I don't find a new job soon, might as well make the search easier while smoking. I could just quit again a couple weeks into my new job.
Well, that sounds like classic Junkie thinking to me, Shay. Oh, and I like how you called it that "committee in your head" ... that's something that every addict experiences. It's a bargaining that goes back and forth between our inner-junkie (in this case, "the Nicodemon") and our rational "true" self. I would recommend reading OBob's: Last line of defense - not today! if you haven't already. This thread reminds us that WE have the final say when it comes to control of our bodies and our behavior. We don't NEED to do what our inner-junkie tells us to do, not any more, cause as long as we Never Take Another Puff, we are "on this side of the fence". We have the key to our addiction. WE have control. That's what Freedom is all about, Shay. Gaining control. No longer being a slave to our inner-junkie's wants and desires but rather recognizing our true needs and doing what we need to do to make ourselves happy.
I know that you have recognized this thought to quit later as a junkie thought, otherwise you wouldn't have come here and asked about it. Now all you need to do is to practice Embracing those craves and reminding yourself that NOW is as good a time as any to take back your life, and that, since you have already removed nicotine from your body, the "hard part" is over, and there is no point in flushing all that success down the toilet now. You can do this Shay...you ARE doing this. kkeep on keepin on, and keepin on reading here and posting for help as needeed. It works, believe me...
ImageLotus
FREE for over a year now!

Dionne (gold)

25 Oct 2003, 07:06 #27

"Go Lotus"! You tell 'em! I liked a lot what and how you said it. You don't pull any punches do you! Shay, we're pulling for you to stay join at the hip with us!
Dionne, free for three years

Joel

06 Nov 2003, 22:43 #28

Joel

20 Jan 2004, 23:43 #29

Joel

23 Mar 2004, 18:32 #30