Nicodemon's Lies or Our Lies?

Johnnie

13 Sep 2010, 17:25 #41

Great thread and terrific opening post, John.

I've met the 'Nicodemon's' lies so often I've started to regard them as bogus spooks in a carnival Fun House. How frightening and powerful they all seemed the first time around. But how absurd and powerless they've come to seem in time.

I would add the Monster that was once the most frightening of all: the terrible Black Bird I used to fear would come and steal my quit at night. Yes, a part of me once saw failure as happening just that way: something coming from the sky, something too big and too powerful for me to fight against it. Of course, I feared the same Black Bird would swoop down from the heavens and put twenty pounds on my waist when I quit.

When we give time a little more time, though, we see: the whole battle is fought in the moment...and that, praise be, is the one thing over which we do have some control. If I watch my ounces, my pounds will take care of themselves. And if I stay positively on my toes throughout the day, my quit can whip any Black Bird.
Gratefully Gold

I escaped from the prison of smoking on August 14, 2010.  
[font]The best revenge is quitting well![/font] 

JohnPolito

13 Sep 2010, 20:09 #42

Johnnie wrote:
Yes, a part of me once saw failure as happening just that way: something coming from the sky, something too big and too powerful for me to fight against it.  ...  When we give time a little more time, though, we see: the whole battle is fought in the moment...and that, praise be, is the one thing over which we do have some control.  
 That was a big fear of mine too, Johnnie, that all my time, energy and work would be taken from me by forces beyond my ability to control.  But you hit the answer on the head, that all I could control was the next couple of minutes and taking them just one at a time, each would always be do-able!   Well said!

symbeeo

05 Jan 2011, 20:56 #43

NICODeMON is me, only me, and therefore I have all the power I need. I have at one time or another used nearly every excuse here to continue feeding my addiction. The more I can relate to a common experience, the more confident and powerful I can be in healing. Thank you, thank you,  thank you!  Every word is a powerful tool.

5 days, 13 hours, 58 minutes
Not smoked 72 "cancer sticks"
Money which will be better spent - $17.20 (nearly half of what I need for Yoga classes)
Life saved - 6 hours