Nicodemon's Lies or Our Lies?

chel

29 Aug 2006, 16:23 #21

Great reading I still need this site to keep me constant!

I have been quit for 5 Months, 2 Weeks, 2 Days, 3 hours, 25 minutes and 16 seconds (169 days). I have saved £439.77 by not smoking 1,691 cigarettes. I have saved 5 Days, 20 hours and 55 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 13/03/2006 06:00

Rayne

30 Aug 2006, 01:15 #22

Every day I find another thread here that reinforces my quit. I am still so new but I feel like I have learned so much allready. this thread is one of the best I have read yet . AwsomeImage I think I am finally starting to " get a Clue"

Sal GOLD.ffn

17 Mar 2007, 20:52 #23

1. It's my choice and I choose to smoke! - It's a lie and you know it! You lost all "choice" and the ability to simply walk away the day that nicotine feedings became mandatory. The only choice now is how EARLY you feed the beast within. The ignorant nicotine addict still believes the "choice" myth. It has been pounded into their brain by an endless stream of highly effective tobacco company marketing with all the pretty colored boxes, the displays and a sea of ads. How often have you seen any smoker switch brands? It's a well set trap for teens and a way to keep you from looking at the man behind the curtain - a chemical called nicotine. The uneducated smoker associates smoking with the newspaper, coffee, travel, stress, other smokers, telephone calls, meals, celebrations, romance, or even as a necessary step prior to walking into a store. The educated nicotine addict sees all nicotine fixes as either mandatory, or an early feeding, in order to avoid the onset and discomfort of chemical withdrawal. You smoke nicotine after a meal because it's time for a nicotine feeding and you smoke before a meal because it isn't polite to feed yourself nicotine and food at the same time.

forza d animo

17 Apr 2007, 22:04 #24

Beware the temptation to demonize tobacco, to give a personality or a purpose to your addiction - It has no agenda and can not think, "It has an IQ of zero." There is no one who lives inside of you trying to get you to smoke except you.

All of the ideas set forth in John Polito's essay lay bare the denial, the lies and the misconceptions we had and others have about why they smoke and why they can not quit. But it can be done. We have proven it. Education is the key, not creating a mythological demon that we must chastise to keep at bay or that we must slay. It is a physiological change that we must come to accept and with which we must learn to live.

On any given day, whether we are free for one day or 1000 days, we can create a craving from a thought. We only have to caress the thought and to nurture it. Often we wonder, "Why now?" and do not realize that we reacted to the thought in such a manner that encouraged it to persist and to grow. That is not the result of any demon living within us. It is an example of how much power we have over our own ability to heal or not.

Read my friends, and grow.

Joseph
2 years 6 months.

Sal GOLD.ffn

27 Jul 2007, 07:03 #25

1. I'd quit but withdrawal never ends! - False! If you remain 100% nicotine free for just 72 hours, your blood will become nicotine free, your withdrawal anxieties will peak in intensity and the number of psychological craves will peak in number. The greatest challenge will be over. Within 10 days to two weeks, actual physical withdrawal is substantially complete as your mind has physically adjusted to the absence of nicotine and accustomed to natural brain dopamine levels. What then remains will be to encounter and recondition your remaining psychological habit crave triggers and to learn to live with the millions of smoking memories stored deep within your mind. You will experience your first day of total quit comfort, where you never once even "think" about a cigarette or smoking, by at least day ninety. The sad part is that you won't even realize that it has happened. After the first such day, they grow more and more frequent until they become your new norm. The deep sense of lasting comfort and calmness that awaits you is probably beyond your comprehension. The real "you" is in total control!

JoeJFree Gold

25 Oct 2007, 00:18 #26

4. It reduces my stress and helps calm me down - It's a lie.

15. It's my choice and I choose to smoke! - It's a lie and you know it!

28. I'll cut down or quit and smoke just one now and then

30. Ok, I'm going to quit! Now I can enjoy my smokes until then! - If you've done this more than once, isn't it just more junkie head games ?
Whatever the denial justification, blame transference, or self-deceit you can come up with it has been covered by all of us and then some. We're all addicts too. We've told ourselves these lies too. It's time to come clean. It's time to be honest with ourselves. It's time to take control ......by making and keeping a personal pledge to live in control and free by staing nicotine free - naturally - for the rest of today. NTAP.

forza d animo

05 Nov 2007, 09:17 #27

4. It reduces my stress and helps calm me down - It's a lie. When we experience stress it makes our urine become more acidic. As the stressed smoker's urine turns acidic it causes the nicotine in their blood to be metabolized and removed at an accelerated rate. The more stressed the smoker becomes the quicker their blood nicotine level drops. The stressed smoker's rapidly declining blood nicotine level causes them to begin experiencing the discomfort of early nicotine withdrawal. It is here that the stressed smoker says, "I NEED A CIGARETTE!" Within seconds after smoking, their blood nicotine level rises, the anxieties associated with early nicotine withdrawal subside, and the nicotine addict is left with the false impression that smoking helped reduce their stress and calm them down. All non-smokers experience stress in life. The difference is that non-smokers don't have early nicotine withdrawal amplifying their stress. Rising and falling nicotine levels keep all smokers on a life-long anxiety filled roller-coaster ride. In truth, stress nicotine depletion causes smokers to experience far more anxiety than non-smokers.

12. Dad just died, this isn't the time! - Smoking won't bring dad back nor cure any other ill in life. Success in quitting during a period of high stress in life insures that future high stress situations won't serve as your excuse or justification for relapse. If you think about it, if we continue to live we will all see someone we love die. Such is the cycle of life. It's extremely sad but serious illness, injury, or the death of a loved one are the most convincing justifications that quitters sell themselves on, in order to justify keeping their drug. There is no better time to quit than before your next mandatory feeding. Don't allow finances, work, illness, education or relationships to serve as your excuse to remain an active addict. There is no legitimate justification for ever putting nicotine back into our body - none, zero, never!

Sal GOLD.ffn

15 Nov 2007, 06:56 #28

But the craves last for hours! - Just like the lingering thought of a nice juicy steak, lobster in butter sauce, or fresh baked hot apple pie, you can make yourself "think" about having a cigarette all day long, if that's what you really want to do. Unlike thoughts, crave anxiety attacks last for less than 3 minutes. It's important that you look at a clock and time them as your mind can make those minutes seem like hours. The bulk of the anxiety surrounding each crave is self induced. Such "thoughts" can be controlled with honest answers and through the power of positive thinking. Strip away all the self-inflicted anxiety and what remains on Day 3 for the "average" quitter is just 18 minutes of true crave anxiety (an average of six craves each less than three minutes in duration).

Sal GOLD.ffn

26 Dec 2007, 07:32 #29

I can't quit alone. I'll need nicotine gum, the patch, hypnosis, acupuncture, magic herbs or other wonder drugs! - Wrong! The simple truth is that no magic cure has ever "made" any smoker quit smoking nicotine. The key to permanent abstinence is education and understanding not hypnosis, not acupuncture and not a 93% chance of relapsing with six months while using some over-the-counter nicotine product that teaches nothing while robbing you of a valuable opportunity to master the core principles underlying years of nicotine dependency. Remember, should all else fail, you always have you!

Sal GOLD.ffn

19 May 2008, 08:03 #30

I tried quitting but my family stopped supporting me or was giving me such a hard time that it caused me to throw in the towel - It's a lie. You gave up because you used your family as a cheap excuse to get your drug back. You exaggerated everything they did or didn't do. You're the drug addict yet you expect them to understand the weakness and thinking of a drug addict's mind. How could they know what it's like to go through chemical withdrawal themselves? Is it fair to expect them to appreciate the magnitude or duration of your challenge? They just want you to be normal and don't know how to react. Feeling unappreciated, picking fights and creating confrontation are tools of the addict's mind used to reclaim their drug. Some know that if they inflict tremendous stress on loved ones that they may even convince them to offer to buy their relapse cigarettes for them. That way they can blame their relapse on their loved one. "They just couldn't handle my quitting." "Maybe next time!"