New reactions to anger as an ex-smoker

The emotions that flow from nicotine cessation
L z l

10 Feb 2003, 02:05 #41

I can SO relate to this. But at least NOW I can understand why after reading this awesome article, whereas I thought I was going nuts before.

I feel like one of those motorcycles. You know, the ones that go from 0-60 in 15 seconds (or whatever it is)....only substitute going from complete calm to pure rage in 15 seconds LOL. And over the simplest things sometimes too. I have a question though...I know this is normal for the reasons explained in the post, but how long does it last ? Will it always be this way, in other words ? I HOPE not ! Image

Lazuli Image

Quit Proud For 3 Weeks 10 Hours 19 Minutes 2 Seconds!

nadette bronze

11 Mar 2003, 14:39 #42

this is the second time i have read this article and like lazuli i can totally identify. it is appropriate that is has come up again, stange how that happens.
i smoked my feelings - and poof they were gone, or, buried deep in my lungs somewhere. now that they are here and hanging aroung to be felt i am not quite sure what to do with them, but i hope i will learn. its a bit overwhelming sometimes.
nadette
8 days

John (Gold)

13 Jan 2004, 20:55 #43

Smoking nicotine never relieved any underlying stressful event
but
only replaced its own absence
Within 10 days to 2 weeks of ending all nicotine use
the mind has adjusted to functioning without nicotine.
Smoking nicotine after 10 days to 2 weeks
  1. Still won't resolve any underlying stressful event
  2. Will no longer replace a needed missing chemical
  3. Will not match your mind's memory expectations
  4. But will commence the onset of full and complete relapse

wackylaurie

26 Feb 2004, 18:44 #44

Hi Joel,

Thanks again for your great library. No matter what is going on with me i can always find the answer in your library or old threads.

ImageLaurie
One month, three weeks, four days, 5 hours, 9 minutes and 18 seconds. 1686 cigarettes not smoked, saving $231.89. Life saved: 5 days, 20 hours, 30 minutes.

John (Gold)

12 Apr 2004, 21:18 #45

Healthy Neurochemical Reactions to Life
Nicotine's two-hour half-life inside the human body was the basic clock that not only set the deadline for that next mandatory feeding but also which feedings we'd consider our "best."
Imagine sleeping through four nicotine half-lives (8 hours) and awaking the next morning with our nicotine level somewhere down around our socks. No wonder that morning fix was one of the "best." Although the clock could not be slowed, acid generating events such as stress, anxiety, alcohol and mega doses of vitamin C could accelerate the clock by more rapidly depleting the body's reserves of the alkaloid nicotine. Such events would more rapidly transport us to the brink of onset of early withdrawal. No wonder we made such deep rooted yet false conclusions about nicotine's relationship to stress and alcohol. No wonder these groups of feeding memories are some of our "best!"
Living life on nicotine's clock totally ignored our body's own natural and healthy neurochemical timetables. As you've probably read here at Freedom, nicotine caused the brain to release stores of adrenaline and noradrenaline that prepared our body for the fight or flight survival mode. An amazing cascade of fight or flight neurochemicals would temporarily shut down all non-essential systems and functions, constrict extremity blood vessels to help control any bleeding during battle or escape, accelerate the heartbeat to pump greater volumes of blood, stimulate the lungs to process more oxygen, would heighten the senses, and dump stored fats and sugars into the bloodstream to provide an instant source of energy. Question: Is that what our body really needed when life's moment begged for deep deep relaxation like just before climbing into bed to sleep?
Recovery can be a wonderful adventure in self-discovery as we begin to appreciate that our body's neurochemicals each had purpose and their flow had natural controls, controls that, by coincidence, the chemical nicotine was able to completely bypass. Was it time for a nicotine induced dopamine ahhhhh reward sensation upon learning the tragic news of the death of a close friend or loved one? Was it then time to smoke a chemical that would diminish the flow of serotonin, a mood and critical anxiety busting neurochemical?
All that matter are the next few moments and each is entirely doable. The accomplishment induced dopamine ahhhhh sensation resting just beyond that next challenge is not only yours to enjoy, it's "you," it's beautiful, and it's an honest message that this recovery is a keeper. You're going home! There was always only one rule, no nicotine today - Never Take Another Puff! John
Last edited by John (Gold) on 03 Mar 2009, 17:15, edited 1 time in total.

GOLDisKITTYBOO

17 Apr 2004, 05:51 #46

Hi, Joel and Freedom Family. Joel, I'm not sure if you posted this thread on the board for me or not, but I wanted you to know that I re-read again.(I've read it many times before......I think....I've read so much of your library, sometimes it's hard to remember) anyway, until it really hits home like today, well, sometimes it's hard to really see clearly. I wanted to thank you if you did pull it up for me to read again. Things are much calmer here this afternoon and the Board was just wonderful in coming through for me today. For any newbies that might be lurking who read my post today for some re-enforcement, well, the Board and this site was my re-enforcement. I have been quit 45 days today. This journey has been inspirational and enlightening. My quit and I are doing just fine though. Everyone has a day every now and then and my one day happened to have manifested into five. My quit is still intact and I'm proud of that. Even us green club members have to take it back to one second, one minute, one hour every now and then. The tools of this site are priceless. Thanks again!

Never taking another puff........
LISA - Free and Healing for One Month, Fifteen Days, 5 Hours and 19 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 3 Days and 3 Hours, by avoiding the use of 904 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $134.11.

Joel

17 Apr 2004, 07:17 #47

Hello Lisa:

I saw a few people who would benefit from this one today. I've only had time to poke my head in and out for the past few days. Actually, the next few days are going to be worse. As I see posts that strike certain themes I have been popping up applicable posts. Actually it has been great for I've noticed a lot of people popping up posts or directing members to specific strings that I would have had I gotten there first. Our general membership is getting quite good and familiar with all of the articles we have to offer. I am glad when I see people finding specific threads as opposed to just waiting to be pointed toward them. It shows that they are putting in the effort to protect their own quit. The more you work at supporting your own quit the easier it will always stay to happily stick to your commitment to never take another puff!

Joel

John (Gold)

21 Apr 2004, 22:01 #48

Nicotine renal excretion rate influences
nicotine intake during cigarette smoking.
J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 1985 July;234(1):153-5.

Benowitz NL, Jacob P 3rd.

We examined the hypothesis that rate of elimination of nicotine affects nicotine intake during cigarette smoking. Elimination rate was altered by administering ammonium chloride or sodium bicarbonate throughout the day. Nicotine intake during unrestricted cigarette smoking was measured using metabolic clearance data obtained after i.v. nicotine infusion together with blood and urinary nicotine concentrations measured during 24-hr periods of cigarette smoking. Compared with placebo treatment (urine pH 5.6), urinary acidification (pH 4.5) increased (208%) renal clearance and, to a lesser extent (41%), total clearance and increased (by 7.2 mg) daily urinary excretion of nicotine. Urinary alkalinization (pH 6.7) resulted in a decrease (78%) in renal clearance with a small decrease (3.7 mg) in daily nicotine excretion. Average blood nicotine concentrations were similar in placebo and bicarbonate treatment conditions, but were 15% lower during acid loading. Daily intake of nicotine was 18% greater during acid loading. The compensatory increase in nicotine consumption was only partial, replacing about half the excess urinary nicotine loss. This is the first direct demonstration that rate of elimination can influence self-determined drug consumption in humans.

PMID: 4009497 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Effects of urinary pH on the behavioral
responses of squirrel monkeys to nicotine.
Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 1983 Sep;19(3):553-7.

Grunberg NE, Morse DE, Barrett JE.

The present study evaluated the behavioral effects of nicotine under conditions that manipulated urinary pH. The effects of nicotine were examined on the responding of squirrel monkeys under a multiple fixed-interval, fixed-ratio schedule of stimulus-shock termination when nicotine was administered alone or together with the gastric administration of an acidifier (ammonium chloride) or an alkalinizer (sodium bicarbonate). Responding under the FI schedule was increased markedly across a range of doses of nicotine (0.02-0.20 mg/kg). Responding under the FR was increased to a lesser extent by the lower doses of nicotine (0.02-0.05 mg/kg) and was decreased by doses of nicotine that increased responding under the FI (0.10-0.20 mg/kg). Generally, administration of the acidifier attenuated the effects of nicotine while administration of the alkalinizer potentiated those effects. These findings support the argument that changes in cigarette smoking under conditions that alter urinary pH involve nicotine per se. In addition, a new interpretation of the relationship between urinary pH and cigarette smoking is offered.

PMID: 6314394 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Protons enhance the gating kinetics of the alpha3/beta4 neuronal nicotinic acetylcholine receptor by increasing its apparent affinity to agonists.
Mol Pharmacol. 2002 February;61(2):369-78.

Abdrakhmanova G, Dorfman J, Xiao Y, Morad M.

Department of Pharmacology, Georgetown University School of Medicine, Washington DC 20007, USA.

Neuronal nicotinic acetylcholine receptors (nAChRs) are widely distributed in the nervous system. Although there is a vast literature on the molecular, structural and pharmacological properties of neuronal nAChR, little is known of their pH regulation. Here we report that rapid acidification (pH 6.0) enhances the current through the alpha3/beta4 recombinant nAChRs expressed stably in human embryonic kidney 293 cells and accelerates its activation kinetics without altering selectivity. Acidification also strongly accelerates the decay kinetics ("desensitization") of cytisine- and nicotine-evoked currents (pK(a) approximately 6.1), but the effect is somewhat smaller with acetylcholine and carbachol (undetermined pK(a) values), suggesting that protonation of the agonist contributes to the relaxation of the current. Transient increases of [H(+)](o) from pH 7.4 to 6.0, during the time course of decay of the current, enhances the current and accelerates its decay kinetics in a manner similar to reactivation of current by higher concentrations of agonists. We suggest that protons interact with multiple extracellular sites on alpha3/beta4 nAChRs, decreasing the effective EC(50) values of the agonist and accelerating gating kinetics, in part by promoting agonist-induced block. We speculate that corelease of protons with ACh from the secretory vesicles may induce rapid and reversible conformational changes in the slowly "desensitizing" alpha3/beta4 nAChRs, leading to accelerated signaling.

PMID: 11809862 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Stormy2687

26 May 2004, 18:54 #49

Thanks Joel, that was what I needed to read.
2 wks 24 min 1 Sec of no smoking bliss

divegal808

27 May 2004, 00:20 #50

Thanks, Joel, i needed to re-read this one, too.

my dreams last night were full of situations that made me angry! and indeed, when i "embrace my crave" and allow myself to feel what's at the bottom of that anxious feeling, it is generally anger. day by day i'm learning how to work with it. and what i know above all is that nicotine never did and never will help -- it only creates or continues problems and ill health! it's helpful to better understand why. thanks again!

amber - Free and Healing for Eighteen Days, 10 Hours and 31 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 15 Hours, by avoiding the use of 184 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $50.74.