New reactions to anger as an ex-smoker

The emotions that flow from nicotine cessation
Joel

23 Apr 2001, 20:52 #21

For Phoenix:

This string addresses dealing with anger, but the same concepts apply to other emotions too. Thought it would give a little more understanding of using tobacco in your masking of emotions post in general.

Joel

Bobby Bull

16 Jun 2001, 13:20 #22

Hi...This is my first post I'm a new member as of today. THIS SITE IS AWESOME its helped me beyond belief over the last month YES MONTH exactly a month today SMOKE FREE... and i love it... and i could not have done it without reading and reading and reading from this site. I have a question.... maybe to Joel.? (as i said its my first post not sure who i direct it to). Question: Overall doing EXCELLENT weight control...craves while having a few beers etc etc. Not severe but I actually have mood swings . I go from happy and content that Im not smoking one day to kinda like sad the next like I lost a friend. Once again ONE MONTH TODAY... are these feelings normal cause i really think I have control of this thing this quit COLD TURKEY IS THE WAY TO GO. THANKS SO MUCH

mirigirl (silver)

16 Jun 2001, 16:43 #23

Joel.. YES..... thank you ..as always!
yqs Maz

Joel

16 Jun 2001, 19:16 #24

Hello Bobby:

Yes it is not uncommon for people to have the kind of mood swings you are describing. As you encounter different triggers, associated memories can incorporate bringing a person down. But when realizing that you have for the first time in years taken the upper hand over nicotine, and really recognize the Freedom you have attained, you can feel a great sense of pride and accomplishment.

Don't be alarmed at the bad moments. The trick is in those minutes or seconds to focus on how you would feel about being a full-fledged smoker again. If you think about one or two cigarettes you will feel deprived. If you think about smoking in its entirety, not just in the sense of the old quantity but the problems and long-term implications that go with it, you will generally be able to lessen the time you feel the loss of a friend feeling and maybe be able to snap yourself out of it all together.

One other issue I should point out. Not all happy or sad moods experienced one month post quit are actually caused by not smoking. People who never smoked a day in their life also have up and down days. Weather can be a strong external variable factoring into these feelings, as well as many other situations we have faced in the past or are currently facing which may have their own influences on triggering memories or moods. Everyone must be careful not to assume smoking or not smoking is the cause of all feelings, all though at one month it probably still have its fair share.

Either way, if quitting is responsible or not, general moods will swing over a lifetime. But if an ex-smoker remembers smoking the way it was at the end, or considers where smoking was leading him or her to if he or she did not quit, the overall mood when regarding quitting will be one of thankfulness and self-gratitude. You have done yourself a favor by quitting. As long as you don't lose sight of this you will be happier and healthier. To help secure both improvements in your mental and physical health always remember to never take another puff!

Joel

Rena (green)

26 Jun 2001, 19:08 #25

Thank you Joel, so very true and I understand that tears of mine much better now.
And even if I cry for many days to come that is fine - I am alive, I am healthy and
I will never take another puff.

Joel

14 Sep 2001, 19:19 #26

I suspect anger is going to be a real issue with many people as time progresses here. But look at the national polls and realize anger is being felt by the majority of the U.S. and in fact, a high percentage of the world population. Ex-smokers, never-smokers and current smokers are all going to be feeling it. Smokers are just going to feel worse, because instead of just feeling the anger of the day--they are also feeling increased nicotine withdrawal on top of the anger. I can't say our ex-smokers are not going to be angry--but I can say that they won't ever experience withdrawal on top of anger as long as they never take another puff!

Joel

msleothelion

19 Dec 2001, 08:49 #27

Well that sure was enlightening! Thanks!
Chris

zipper (Green)

26 Jan 2002, 10:23 #28

Thanks Joel & FREEDOM!

I really needed to hear this one!

Until I came to FREEDOM, I had no idea how many ways this drug called "NICOTINE" adversely affected my entire body! Now I find out it even made my urine reactImage & what's worse is that I have been "In major denial" concerning many personal issues that I have been dealing with for a long, long, time! I did have a "junky way of thinking" by putting off dealing with things & smoking instead.

It sounds like I may have a few encounters ahead that I am going to have to be fully armed for. So...I will keep on reading, posting & learning hear at FREEDOM to help protect my quit. I have so much to learn!

I have been nicotine free for: 1 Month 2 Weeks 5 Days 23 Hours 4 Minutes 37 Seconds. I have NOT smoked 764 sickarettes, for a savings of $144.47. Life Saved: 2 Days 15 Hours 40 Minutes.

Thank you FREEDOM Joel for helping me get this far!

~Zipper~Image

OBob Gold

01 Feb 2002, 15:09 #29

How 'bout that. Y'know, I read this yonks ago, and filed it away. It didn't seem that important at the time. But, once again, I find that Joel knows. Tonight, I'm passing through the pub -- had just dropped the car off at the garage across the street, and I'm heading home. I see the dart-buddies inside, and pop in for hello, and end up staying for a couple of quick games. I've gotta get home to get some work done, so I don't want to stay too long. There's a new guy there that I haven't met. He's friends with the other guys though.

So, we're playing away, and the new guy seems to be talking a lot. AND it's getting worse. And he's getting really opinionated. And he's jumping from one subject to the next, and not listening to responses to the extent that when somebody agreed with him, he misinterpreted it, and felt the need to state his case for whatever the immediate cause was in even louder and lengthier diatribes.

And I find myself getting really really really really annoyed. Now, I'm pretty much a world champion listener. Usually, because I like to hear what other people are saying, but I'll listen even if they're killing me with boredom. In the latter case, in the past, I've always turned to tobacco. The monologues would turn into, "blah blah blah puff, whooooh, blah blah blah puff, ****, whooooh." The longer they went on, and the less I was permitted to say, the more I would just **** in that deadly stuff. Sometimes I would use the cigs as an excuse for actual geographic avoidance. The talker is inside, "excuse me, gotta go feed the addiction", the smoker's outside, "looks like the cigs done, and I'm cold, see you inside."

So, tonight, it's like there's no escape. Now, I didn't realise at the time what was going on. I had no idea why I was getting so tremendously annoyed and angry. I finally bowed out politely (when a pause in the speech permitted), and drove home in a huge temper. Only later, when in the shower, trying to gain back my sanity, did I remember this article, and I'm able to learn, yet again.

Read it and remember it when you find yourself getting absolutely furious over something that you never faced before, and might not have considered more than a minor annoyance.

lenguatron (green)

01 Feb 2002, 15:19 #30

Hi, OBob! Noticed that you JUST posted so I wanted to say hello, tell you congratulations on your continued quit, and tell you how I find your messages delightful.
ImageCheers!
YQS Mary