Never Take Another Puff

Never Take Another Puff

Joel

09 Feb 2002, 10:56 #1

Joel's Reinforcement Library

"Never Take Another Puff!"

I said it every day of the clinics, it's in almost all my posts, and you see it at the end of each of these short articles. Even so, I still feel I cannot repeat it enough - NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF! It is not that I am afraid that you will like the cigarette and decide how wonderful going back to smoking will be. To the contrary, it will probably make you dizzy, nauseous, and generally sick. You may absolutely hate yourself for having done it. Even this, though, is not the problem.

The real danger is the reinforcement of the nicotine addiction. It is a powerful addiction. One puff can send you back to your old level of cigarette consumption within days. We have had clinic participants who have previously quit smoking for periods exceeding 20 years. One day they decide to try just one. Even after this great period of time, the first cigarette is enough to start the whole addiction withdrawal process. They are again hooked on a drug, and within days the full habit returns. All of the physical dangers, psychological problems, and tremendous expenses return to their previous levels. If you do not believe this can happen to you, come into the first or second night of my next stop smoking clinic. Listen to all of the new enrollees who are there to quit smoking. These are people who were once off cigarettes for a substantial period of time before, people who liked not smoking, people who loved not smoking, people who now need help to once again reclaim their nonsmoking status because of one tragic mistake. They were not immune to the first drag. The odds are, neither are you. Consider this the next time you have a passing thought for a cigarette.

Now you have a choice. You can remain an ex-smoker or you can become an addicted smoker once again. Consider both options carefully. Which way of life better suits you - a slave to a deadly weed or a truly free person? The final decision is yours. If you choose the latter, simply practice the following advice - NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!

Last edited by Joel on 12 Oct 2012, 15:17, edited 1 time in total.

Joel

19 Sep 2002, 05:55 #2

For the Dreaded Quitter. I saw where you wrote you were shocked to how a person could go back to their old level so quickly after relapsing. I just want to make sure that you recognize that this is the norm--the rule and not the exception. To avoid ever smoking the way you did in the past you must always remember the importance of knowing to never take another puff!

Joel

John (Gold)

13 Nov 2002, 21:55 #3

This is the Canadian government's addiction warning label.
Can you read the fine print?
Even if only an hour or two, be proud of how far you've come!
Last edited by John (Gold) on 03 Jul 2009, 13:22, edited 1 time in total.

Joel

28 Jan 2004, 21:37 #4

I spent most of my time this morning kicking up posts for newer members. Our longer-term members also need to stay vigilant with their quits. This message applies to all people whether they are in their first day or their ten thousandth day. The only way to insure this quit will last is to get through today with your commitment intact to never take another puff! Joel

October 1, 2011:

Updating this thread to include the following video, "What is your quit smoking mantra." It talks about how while I use the phrase "Never Take Another Puff" in most of my articles and videos, I am not really wanting people to use the phrase only as a mantra to help sustaining a quit. The video explains the issue in a better way than I can explain it here:

Last edited by Joel on 01 Oct 2011, 13:50, edited 1 time in total.

winna660

22 Jun 2006, 21:53 #5

For today, for tomorrow, for next week, year, decade...FOREVER.....
Administration of a drug to an addict will cause reestablishment of chemical dependance upon the addictive substance. Administration of a drug to an addict in this case means taking a puff. It's crystal clear to me. I will NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!I have been quit for 1 Month, 1 Week, 1 hour, 22 minutes and 51 seconds (38 days). I have saved $93.89 by not smoking 570 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Day, 23 hours and 30 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 5/15/2006 7:30 AM

Just Hannes

06 Apr 2007, 10:24 #6

The first time I notice an error in one of the thousands articles of Joel:

Joel states:
"One puff can send you back to your old level of cigarette consumption within days."

Should be:
"One puff will send you back to your old level of cigarette consumption within days."

One little very important word.

Frits (almost 4 months)

Joel

06 Apr 2007, 11:07 #7

Joel states:
"One puff can send you back to your old level of cigarette consumption within days."
Should be:
"One puff will send you back to your old level of cigarette consumption within days."
I used the word "can" as opposed to "will" very purposely.

The Lucky One's Get Hooked!

NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF! Even though this sentence consists of four simple words, some ex-smokers have a hard time understanding the true meaning of this most important concept. These are the unfortunate smokers who make the tragic experiment of trying a cigarette to see how they will react. There are two possible outcomes to taking a puff. First, and most likely, the ex-smoker will become hooked and return to his old level of consumption, usually within a matter of days. The other possible reaction is that he does not get hooked. In the long run, he will truly be the greatest loser.

The ex-smoker who gets hooked from the first puff will have learned a valuable lesson. If he ever quits again, he will have a good chance of long term success, for he knows from his own experience that he cannot ever take one puff without going right back to his old level. He knows that he is not depriving himself of one drag, but rather doing himself a great favor by not smoking the amount that he used to when addicted to nicotine.

On the other hand, the ex-smoker who takes a drag and doesn't get hooked gets a false sense of confidence. He thinks he can take one any time he wants and not get hooked. Usually, within a short period of time sneaking a drag here and there, he will become hooked. One day he too may try to quit and actually succeed. He may quit for a week, month, or even years. But always back in his mind he feels, "I know I can have one if I really want to. After all, I did it last time and didn't get hooked right away." One day, at a party or under stress or just out of boredom he will try one again. Maybe this time he will get hooked, maybe not. But you can be sure that there will be a next time. Eventually he will become hooked again.

This poor person will go through a life of perpetual relapses. On cigarettes and off, on and off. Each time he goes back, he will have to quit once again. And you know what that means - going through the two week withdrawal process over and over again. You hated going through it once. Think what it would be like to go through it three, four or even more times. One participant did it thirteen times, others eight and nine times each. If they had just become hooked the first time they took a puff, it might never have happened again.

Taking the first drag is a no win situation. There is little doubt that it will result in your returning to a powerful and deadly addiction. Consider the full ramifications of once again becoming addicted to cigarettes. The health consequences, the expense, the social stigma, the sense of failure and the prospects of once again having to go through the withdrawal process when you once again try to quit. Keep all this in mind and remember - NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!
Last edited by Joel on 27 Oct 2009, 23:07, edited 1 time in total.

Just Hannes

06 Apr 2007, 11:17 #8

I am sorry,

You are right Joel...

This puff can send you back smoking or it can send you back to your 72 hours of withdrawal.

There are 2 options not one so the word 'will' should be 'can'......

Frits

Joel

06 Apr 2007, 20:06 #9

"There are 2 options not one so the word 'will' should be 'can'......"
There are three possible outcomes:
1. The person takes a puff and quickly goes back to smoking
2. The person takes a puff and goes through a withdrawal cycle
3. The person takes a puff and nothing happens.
Again, as pointed out above, the third option is in many ways the most dangerous of the outcomes. It sets up a precedent of belief that may in fact result in the person going through lots of quits and lots of failures.
Last edited by Joel on 27 Oct 2009, 23:08, edited 1 time in total.

Sal GOLD.ffn

18 Apr 2007, 09:16 #10

Last edited by Sal GOLD.ffn on 27 Oct 2009, 23:10, edited 1 time in total.