My Visit to the Lung Doctor

smurfetteirl

07 May 2004, 18:29 #31

thanks for bringing it up Big Al,

thank you for writing it linda,im sure glad it was asthma too.

you are so right that as smokers we have to be frightened into quiting,
i experienced this last week when i nearly lost my quit, during an urge i had no fear of what smoking would do to me, and it happened to be the worst crave id had since id quit, because i had been comfortable for so long, i let boundaries slip, and fear fall away. the biggest mistake was not keeping fresh in the mind the very worse case senario that smoking can do to you.(or those who love or depend on you)
For mothers like me we have to always remember, if something doesnt happen to us it could happen to our children, i have to live with the guilt that my son has asthma most likely because i smoked when i was pregnant, he was low birth weight, had under developed lungs, and i smoked around him for the first 4 years of his life.
this did not stop me though, junkie thinking makes you blame anything else but yourself. he hasnt had a chest infection since i quit, theres the proof to me, i had spent 4years in and out of hospitals with him, inhalers, nebulizers ,oxygen, steroids.
one night lying in bed i thought i was going to have a heart attach, couldnt move, i had already had surgery over bad circulation, it scared the life out of me, i quit at that moment only because my life had flashed before me, wasnt it selfish that i had to wait til i got a fright , yet my son had to go through 4 years of slow choking and gasping before i would stop.

i am lucky too, and fearful yet again.
lynda
bronze

Joanne Gold

27 Aug 2004, 11:08 #32

Joannetta

27 Aug 2004, 11:32 #33

Image I find that stories about the horrible health affects of smoking really hit home with me. I'm not sure what that veil is that keeps people from quitting nicotine given the health affects, however I sure am glad it has lifted for me.

As a reinforcement I've visited forums for those dealing with lung cancer to make sure I never grow complacent, or gloss over the real consequence of smoking. It is very eery how there is virtually no mention of smoking in these posts - except in the very few posts where those with lung disease, who were non-smokers, make this specific point. The silence from the many, many others is as difficult to encounter as the facts of the disease itself.

Joanne, who will never take another puff.

GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)

01 Sep 2004, 04:37 #34

for Agnes....having difficulty breathing is not from quitting smoking but from an underlying cause that the smoking was masking. Please see your doctor.

cherylmcc

01 Sep 2004, 04:51 #35

I can only emphasize what Linda has stated. This was pretty much my experience as well. We are all different, but one fact remains, quitting smoking cannot make you ill. Other suppressed illnesses can make themselves known, however in absense of our addictions.

Thank you so much Linda for this original post. It helped me enormously.

Cheryl - Free and Healing for Two Months, Thirty Days, 17 Hours and 21 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 6 Days and 8 Hours, by avoiding the use of 1834 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $414.31.

Joel

08 Sep 2004, 08:49 #36

John (Gold)

04 Dec 2004, 03:09 #37

kattatonic1 gold4

09 Jan 2005, 22:19 #38

I just spent a scary night at the hospital. I've had mild chest pains for a couple of days and shallow breathing. I saw my doctor Friday. We scheduled a lung scan for Monday night (as early as available) and Saturday morning she said, "No change? Go to Emerg.; we have to rule out the biggies."

The doctor who saw me said "Good", when I told him I quit smoking over a year ago, but after all the history questions he still noted, "Your only risk factor is your smoking history."

We've ruled out "the biggies" -- or at least the far-advanced biggies. Nothing on an x-ray, but still doing a lung scan tomorrow. Good blood tests and cardiogram. The experience was almost enough to scare me into a heart attack. They insert an intravenous into the back of your hand "in case we need to medicate you quickly in crisis." I'm "only" 42. And I thought about Kim and about Linda and this post, and about Sue and her hubby. And I really could not stand listening to the pretty young nurse tell me (unasked) that she's not ready to quit smoking.

What I think was my last really annoying trigger was wanting to smoke when I'm sick or under the weather. I've posted about it a few times. This week I no more wanted a cigarette than I would want to shoot my head off with a handgun -- which has never been an impulse of mine. I am relieved to find that I think that trigger has been re-programmed forever as long as I NTAP.

Celebrate every day you are nicotine free everybody! Stick to it you newly quit members! You will never regret quitting.

This quote was in my email this morning:
When overspread by extreme vice--
like a sal tree by a vine--
you do to yourself
what an enemy would wish.
-Dhammapada, 12, translated by Thanissaro Bhikkhu.

What an enemy would wish. Why did I smoke again? Oh yeah, I'm addict.

~ Kay (Gold) ~
Celebrating 1 Year, 18 Days, 3 Hours and 44 Minutes of Freedom.
Forsaking 7663 doses of poison has liberated $2,491.22 and 26 Days and 14 Hours of my life.

Starshinegrl Gold

09 Jan 2005, 22:44 #39

Oh, Kay ... what a scary night that must have been! Image Thanks for sharing this with us ... just wanted to let you know that I'll be thinking about you tomorrow evening.

Congratulations on not killing that nurse! Just shows what a strong character you have. I wish you all the best and will be keeping all my fingers and toes crossed for you.

Thanks also for bringing this string up to the top. My heart goes out to all the people that told their stories here.

Gitte
44 days and a bit