My Visit to the Lung Doctor

Shelley (Bronze)

25 Nov 2001, 18:01 #11

Hi Linda~Your story was so touching, yes, I shed a few tears as I read. I am new here to Freedom, I am reading so much and learning all the time. It wasn't me that was in a heath risk position. My supervisor whom is a wonderful lady, with a wonderful family and career, everything going for her..was diagnosed with lung cancer, bone cancer and bone marrow cancer..nothing they can do but keep her comfortable. She smoked for years, right up until she couldn't anymore. My grandma died suddenly of a stroke last year, a week before Christmas, a day short of her birthday. She had smoked for years, but had quit and stayed nicotine free for almost 20 years, but according to her death certificate, smoking was a contributing factor to her death. A month ago my dad was diagnosed with colon cancer. He also smoked for years, has been nicotine free for 25 years, yet smoking was also contributed to his health factor. His cancer was operable and the success was 100%. He didn't have any chemo, he was very fortunate, his prognosis could have been much worse. Then there was the roommate my dad had in the hospital. The coughing, the wheezing, the coughing up stuff, the machine he was hooked up to every hour for 15 minutes at a time....He has emphysema. The only excerise he got in a day, was to get up out of his bed, walk down the hall, out the back door---to light up a sick-er-ette! My dad and I had a very heart-to-heart after his surgery, diagnosis...He didn't lecture me, he wasn't critical toward me, he was very serious and very concerned. That's when I came home and started doing some research on quitting and found this site. If God never answers another prayer again for me, I can't complain because he has answered this one, he showed me the way to this site. I am just babbling now, but wanted to throw in my 2 cents worth! Thanx for sharing your story and happy for you that things turned out better than they could have. ~Shelley
5Days,18Hours,28Minutes,13Seconds 144 sick-er-ettes NS=$11.47 Saved
Better Yet~12 Hours more to spend with my girls, family and future grandchildren!:^)

ceb (green)

05 Feb 2002, 12:32 #12

Image I am so glad that everything worked out. It could have been a lot worse but I am sorry about the asthma. Thank you for sharing and just when I was ready to throw in the towel I read your story. I cannot thank you enough.
Chaya

OBob Gold

05 Feb 2002, 14:58 #13

Chaya,

I'm glad to see you're staying clean. I believe that's TEN days for you now. Fantastic achievement. And I'm glad to see you're reading the material on the site. The education and inspiration here has really made a difference for me.

Know that it starts to get easier now. Nic's starting to get worried because you're moving further and further out of his power zone. Just keep taking it one day at a time. And promise me, if you ever feel your quit is in danger again, do like you did this last time, and come here first.

Congrats on double-digit days!

Bob

GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)

05 Feb 2002, 15:57 #14

This message has been deleted by the manager or assistant manager.

Sue Donym

28 Mar 2002, 16:44 #15

Thank you for this very personal story. It's very motivational for me! I can't even express how real your story seemed and the emotions (Fear) it made me feel. I'm starting to get things in prospective, and reading is helping so much. While reading your story, I was imagining myself...smoking for another 40 years and trying to quit at the same time/or because of bad news from a doctor. Yikes. Definately makes smoking much less appealing.

Wow, you wrote that 2 yrs ago. I know I've seen you in recently, so I just want to thank you for sharing this and congratulate you on your incredible journey to freedom.
jenna

Joanne Gold

18 Apr 2002, 12:44 #16

Joanne Gold

01 Jul 2002, 13:30 #17

GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)

23 Dec 2002, 01:48 #19

Image check out your symptoms as long as they keep on manifesting themselves and until you find out why.

Linda

Happy(Greenbaby )

23 Dec 2002, 10:48 #20

Thank you for sharing your scary experience. I'm glad you fot the (treatable) answer you did.
Happy