Shelley (Bronze)
Shelley (Bronze)

November 25th, 2001, 6:01 pm #11

Hi Linda~Your story was so touching, yes, I shed a few tears as I read. I am new here to Freedom, I am reading so much and learning all the time. It wasn't me that was in a heath risk position. My supervisor whom is a wonderful lady, with a wonderful family and career, everything going for her..was diagnosed with lung cancer, bone cancer and bone marrow cancer..nothing they can do but keep her comfortable. She smoked for years, right up until she couldn't anymore. My grandma died suddenly of a stroke last year, a week before Christmas, a day short of her birthday. She had smoked for years, but had quit and stayed nicotine free for almost 20 years, but according to her death certificate, smoking was a contributing factor to her death. A month ago my dad was diagnosed with colon cancer. He also smoked for years, has been nicotine free for 25 years, yet smoking was also contributed to his health factor. His cancer was operable and the success was 100%. He didn't have any chemo, he was very fortunate, his prognosis could have been much worse. Then there was the roommate my dad had in the hospital. The coughing, the wheezing, the coughing up stuff, the machine he was hooked up to every hour for 15 minutes at a time....He has emphysema. The only excerise he got in a day, was to get up out of his bed, walk down the hall, out the back door---to light up a sick-er-ette! My dad and I had a very heart-to-heart after his surgery, diagnosis...He didn't lecture me, he wasn't critical toward me, he was very serious and very concerned. That's when I came home and started doing some research on quitting and found this site. If God never answers another prayer again for me, I can't complain because he has answered this one, he showed me the way to this site. I am just babbling now, but wanted to throw in my 2 cents worth! Thanx for sharing your story and happy for you that things turned out better than they could have. ~Shelley
5Days,18Hours,28Minutes,13Seconds 144 sick-er-ettes NS=$11.47 Saved
Better Yet~12 Hours more to spend with my girls, family and future grandchildren!:^)

ceb (green)
ceb (green)

February 5th, 2002, 12:32 pm #12

I am so glad that everything worked out. It could have been a lot worse but I am sorry about the asthma. Thank you for sharing and just when I was ready to throw in the towel I read your story. I cannot thank you enough.
Chaya

OBob Gold
OBob Gold

February 5th, 2002, 2:58 pm #13

Chaya,

I'm glad to see you're staying clean. I believe that's TEN days for you now. Fantastic achievement. And I'm glad to see you're reading the material on the site. The education and inspiration here has really made a difference for me.

Know that it starts to get easier now. Nic's starting to get worried because you're moving further and further out of his power zone. Just keep taking it one day at a time. And promise me, if you ever feel your quit is in danger again, do like you did this last time, and come here first.

Congrats on double-digit days!

Bob

GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)
GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)

February 5th, 2002, 3:57 pm #14

This message has been deleted by the manager or assistant manager.

Sue Donym
Sue Donym

March 28th, 2002, 4:44 pm #15

Thank you for this very personal story. It's very motivational for me! I can't even express how real your story seemed and the emotions (Fear) it made me feel. I'm starting to get things in prospective, and reading is helping so much. While reading your story, I was imagining myself...smoking for another 40 years and trying to quit at the same time/or because of bad news from a doctor. Yikes. Definately makes smoking much less appealing.

Wow, you wrote that 2 yrs ago. I know I've seen you in recently, so I just want to thank you for sharing this and congratulate you on your incredible journey to freedom.
jenna

Joanne Gold
Joanne Gold

April 18th, 2002, 12:44 pm #16

Joanne Gold
Joanne Gold

July 1st, 2002, 1:30 pm #17

GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)
GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)

December 23rd, 2002, 1:48 am #19

check out your symptoms as long as they keep on manifesting themselves and until you find out why.

Linda

Happy(Greenbaby )
Happy(Greenbaby )

December 23rd, 2002, 10:48 am #20

Thank you for sharing your scary experience. I'm glad you fot the (treatable) answer you did.
Happy

GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)
GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)

February 17th, 2003, 11:24 pm #21

for John

GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)
GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)

April 26th, 2003, 7:16 am #22

ROY Gold
ROY Gold

April 26th, 2003, 8:24 am #23

Hi Linda,
I am a newbie here at Freedom so I just read your article about going to the doctor. It reminded me of a program that is called "scared straight" where young people who are in trouble with the law are sent to jails to here inmates tell of their harrowing experiences with prison life in hopes of turning these kids lives around. Well, I think if every smoker could hear your testimonial it would scare them into becoming ex-smokers. I am personally helped(scared) by your testimonial also, I hope I will refer to it in the future to keep me from even thinking about relapsing into my old life of dependence on the evil drug nicotine. Thanks for your insight into what each person on this site might have to go through at some point in their lives.
Roy
1 week, 1 day, 18 hours smoke free!

Shinelady Gold3282003
Shinelady Gold3282003

April 26th, 2003, 9:31 am #24

Thanks Linda,
You have read my story and you know I have read yours. I hope that between us, we can help someone. Yes, there is a very good reason for quitting. At this point in time, I wish I could just get the world to listen to what I know now. I have a husband that lost his lung to cancer and now I find myself facing scary tests because I am short of breath. I know they won't listen because I didn't at their age either. It's just a hard lesson to learn the hard way. Hopefully we can reach the younger members of our Freedom Family. Thanks again Linda. Your story has helped many. yqs, sue
Four weeks, 2 hours, 15 minutes and 7 seconds. 1123 cigarettes not smoked, saving $162.38. Life saved: 3 days, 21 hours, 35 minutes.

GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)
GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)

April 26th, 2003, 11:50 am #25

Dear Sue,

I cannot tell you not to worry about your tests because you will worry anyway......but I can tell you that you've got all of us here with you on this. No matter what the outcome, you are still far, far ahead of the game for having finally quit smoking. You have a lot to be proud of.

Linda

ps.....have a good night and congratulations on your first nicotine month!

GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)
GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)

April 26th, 2003, 12:05 pm #26

ps......I just saw your note Roy. My story is nothing. So far I have been very, very lucky and after 3 years we've just finally found a new medication that is keeping the asthma under control and I can breathe easily.

The person who really has a story to tell is our Kim. It could belong to any of us and our prayers are with her and her family. Read Kim's Missing Lung.

Welcome to Freedom, Roy. Just always remember that to keep on healing never take another puff.

Linda
3 years, 4 mos free

ROY Gold
ROY Gold

April 26th, 2003, 12:27 pm #27

pps,
Thanks for the link to Kim's story. It was very moving. It was also very graphic, which is sometimes necessary to strongly get the point across that smoking can be very dangerous and perhaps lethal. Her story along with yours and others posted on this sight will serve as inspiration for me to keep true to my quit. Also, thanks for your concern and support for us newbies who sometimes must be led by the hand out of the darkness of withdrawal.
Roy,
1 week, 1 day, 22 hours smoke free!

CookiesGold
CookiesGold

June 25th, 2003, 11:42 pm #28

CookieI have been quit for 8 Months, 1 Week, 5 Days, 9 hours, 59 minutes and 10 seconds (255 days). I have saved $1,787.91 by not smoking 10,216 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Month, 4 Days, 11 hours and 20 minutes of my life.

screechwinter
screechwinter

April 26th, 2004, 10:40 am #29

thank you for sharing this.
ahnaka
Two weeks, 23 hours, 10 minutes and 13 seconds. 224 cigarettes not smoked, saving $58.93. Life saved: 18 hours, 40 minutes.

BIG AL GREEN x2
BIG AL GREEN x2

May 7th, 2004, 8:17 am #30

Hi Linda,

I'm glad I came across this post. It's at once shocking and full of hope. I'm delighted that things worked out well for you in the end; you were indeed blessed with a second chance. However, I find myself brooding over all the poor souls whose diagnoses amount to death sentences.

You've helped me strengthen my quit. Thanks.

Big Al
26 days

smurfetteirl
smurfetteirl

May 7th, 2004, 6:29 pm #31

thanks for bringing it up Big Al,

thank you for writing it linda,im sure glad it was asthma too.

you are so right that as smokers we have to be frightened into quiting,
i experienced this last week when i nearly lost my quit, during an urge i had no fear of what smoking would do to me, and it happened to be the worst crave id had since id quit, because i had been comfortable for so long, i let boundaries slip, and fear fall away. the biggest mistake was not keeping fresh in the mind the very worse case senario that smoking can do to you.(or those who love or depend on you)
For mothers like me we have to always remember, if something doesnt happen to us it could happen to our children, i have to live with the guilt that my son has asthma most likely because i smoked when i was pregnant, he was low birth weight, had under developed lungs, and i smoked around him for the first 4 years of his life.
this did not stop me though, junkie thinking makes you blame anything else but yourself. he hasnt had a chest infection since i quit, theres the proof to me, i had spent 4years in and out of hospitals with him, inhalers, nebulizers ,oxygen, steroids.
one night lying in bed i thought i was going to have a heart attach, couldnt move, i had already had surgery over bad circulation, it scared the life out of me, i quit at that moment only because my life had flashed before me, wasnt it selfish that i had to wait til i got a fright , yet my son had to go through 4 years of slow choking and gasping before i would stop.

i am lucky too, and fearful yet again.
lynda
bronze

Joanne Gold
Joanne Gold

August 27th, 2004, 11:08 am #32

Joannetta
Joannetta

August 27th, 2004, 11:32 am #33

I find that stories about the horrible health affects of smoking really hit home with me. I'm not sure what that veil is that keeps people from quitting nicotine given the health affects, however I sure am glad it has lifted for me.

As a reinforcement I've visited forums for those dealing with lung cancer to make sure I never grow complacent, or gloss over the real consequence of smoking. It is very eery how there is virtually no mention of smoking in these posts - except in the very few posts where those with lung disease, who were non-smokers, make this specific point. The silence from the many, many others is as difficult to encounter as the facts of the disease itself.

Joanne, who will never take another puff.

GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)
GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)

September 1st, 2004, 4:37 am #34

for Agnes....having difficulty breathing is not from quitting smoking but from an underlying cause that the smoking was masking. Please see your doctor.

cherylmcc
cherylmcc

September 1st, 2004, 4:51 am #35

I can only emphasize what Linda has stated. This was pretty much my experience as well. We are all different, but one fact remains, quitting smoking cannot make you ill. Other suppressed illnesses can make themselves known, however in absense of our addictions.

Thank you so much Linda for this original post. It helped me enormously.

Cheryl - Free and Healing for Two Months, Thirty Days, 17 Hours and 21 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 6 Days and 8 Hours, by avoiding the use of 1834 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $414.31.