My Cigarette, My Friend?

John (Gold)

15 Mar 2006, 13:05 #112

auntvaleria

16 Mar 2006, 11:46 #113

Nobody needs this kind of friend....the one that lies and betrays you. I know we are all intelligent folks;; we are here and one big support group. But its amazing that we are all bound together by this common denominator and we believed the lies for so long! Freedom truly is a lifesaver!

aunt valeria---feelin good today (thanks to all of you!) xxoo
I have been quit for 2 Weeks, 6 Days, 2 hours, 15 minutes and 42 seconds (20 days). I have saved $55.25 by not smoking 401 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Day, 9 hours and 25 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 2/23/2006 7:30 PM

John (Gold)

03 Apr 2006, 12:29 #114

I received the below email yesterday and posted it to WhyQuit's The Smoker's Memorial . Merrelyn feels pretty hopeless right now.
04/01/06 I am Merrelyn Hughes 63, widow. I am a widow twice after watching my husbands struggle for every breath. Chester Hughes died of lung cancer at 71 - 3 packs a day for over 50 years. It was a horrible last two years as I watched the man I loved the most die, my friend and lover of 20 years. Then I remarried in April of last year to Claude McDlain and I watched him die of cancer of the lung on January 10. And then there is me, on my walker with oxygen, struggling for every breath with a cigarette in one hand. Sometimes I feel in my stupidity that I deserve to blow myself up. I would like to put a sign on my walker that says cigarettes caused this and walk thru schools. You can't imagine what it costs Medicare and Champus to keep me alive.

I have grandchildren, great-grandchildren and friends. There is a life out there I want to share in but I am afraid it is to late. I also have a 2.25 spot on the lung which I refuse to allow them to biopsy. I also have diabetes, asthma, emphysema, congestive heart failure, and legs that won't hold me up. No breath to walk with, unable to clean my house any longer, I need constant help.

IF ONLY I HAD NEVER SMOKED, IF ONLY I COULD QUIT, I AM SCARED, MY FAMILY HAS BEGGED AND I HAVEN'T LISTENED. PLEASE DON'T SMOKE. IT IS PURE AGONY TO LIVE WITH THE RESULTING DISEASE, AND SO DEPRESSING THAT I COULD HAVE KEPT THIS FROM HAPPENING. PLEASE, DON'T ALLOW THIS TO HAPPEN TO YOU.

[url=mailto:Merrelynh@aol.com]Merrelyn Hughes[/url]
Huachuca City, Arizona

Last edited by John (Gold) on 11 Feb 2009, 21:23, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)

20 Apr 2006, 11:53 #115

IARC carcinogens reported in cigarette mainstream smoke and their calculated log P values.
Food Chem Toxicol. 2003 June;41(6):807-17.

Smith CJ, Perfetti TA, Garg R, Hansch C.

R&D, Bowman Gray Technical Center, RJRT Company, Winston-Salem, NC 27102-1487, USA. smithc4@rjrt.com
Cigarette smoke is a complex aerosol of minute liquid droplets (termed the particulate phase) suspended within a mixture of gases (CO(2), CO, NO(x), etc.) and semi-volatile compounds. The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) has classified a number of the chemical constituents reported in cigarette mainstream smoke (MS) as carcinogens. Previously, we published a series of historical reviews reporting that 11 IARC Group 1 (known human), nine Group 2A (probable human) and 48 Group 2B (possible human) carcinogens have been observed in MS. Here, we expand the list of IARC classified carcinogens from 68 to 81 compounds (11 Group 1, 14 Group 2A and 56 Group 2B) reported in MS. A number of the IARC compounds reported in MS are found in the vapor phase including three Group 1, eight Group 2A and 18 Group 2B constituents. Several IARC MS compounds are found in both the vapor and particulate phases including two in Group 1, one in Group 2A and one in Group 2B. Forty-eight IARC MS carcinogens are found in the particulate phase only. Lipophilicity, as determined by the base 10 logarithm of the calculated octanol-water partition coefficient and denoted as Clog P, is reported for each of the 71 non-metallic MS IARC carcinogens. Clog P correlates with a number of biological activities including in vitro mutagenicity and carcinogenicity in rodents, and in the absence of any additional toxicological or epidemiological data, a high log P compound is more likely to be carcinogenic than a low log P compound.

PMID: 12738186 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

John (Gold)

23 May 2006, 09:45 #116

Last edited by John (Gold) on 11 Feb 2009, 21:45, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)

30 May 2006, 07:07 #117

One is too many, one thousand never enough
Last edited by John (Gold) on 07 Jul 2009, 13:07, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)

14 Jun 2006, 20:40 #118

FONT color=#000000>On Wednaesday May 31, 2006 my grandmother died of lung cancer. She always knew Image she had it and she never quit smoking. The day she was admited into the hospital she knew that it was time for her to go, but she kept pulling through. My granmother was in the hospital for a little over six months and it was hard to visit her because I hated seeing her like that.

My grandmother was a very loving and kind women. She was honored and cared about very dearly. She had many friends and was a very memorable women. She had a great personality and had great potential. I loved her so much ....we had the best of times together. We would stay up late and watch t.v. till we couldn't take it anymore.
And that is all gone now just because as she was young, there was a thing called peer pressure and she started smoking. She has smoked ever since. She had to smoke a least one pack every 2 to 3 days, it was horrible. But I just want everyone to know that smoking is horrible because it ruins your life and it takes the ones you care about deeply. My name is Becka, I'm 14 and from the bottom of my heart ......it hurts.
Becka
Last edited by John (Gold) on 11 Feb 2009, 21:28, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)

22 Jul 2006, 08:28 #119

My Nicotine, My Friend
(The below email is reprinted with permission)
John,
I read with much interest your article of 2002 posted on the Internet regarding the dismal success rate of smokers using the patch or nicotine gum to quit. I stopped smoking myself 20+ years ago and have not had a cigarette since. I went through a hospital-sponsored program.
I have a brother who is not so fortunate, however. He's been on nicotine gum for some ten years or so. He's on disability and receives just $800 per month. With that he spends over $200 a month on the dang gum and he is convinced that he can't live without it. He lives in San Francisco, just about the highest cost-of-living place to be. What can you advice to get him off that stuff? Thanks.
Harry
Last edited by John (Gold) on 11 Feb 2009, 21:29, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)

22 Sep 2006, 09:43 #120

A Time/Life Robbing Chemical Friend
Assume a smoker smokes 10 cigarettes per day
Assume five minutes spent smoking each
It translates into ...
5.8 hours per week spent feeding our addiction
25 hours per month
300 hours per year
or
37.5 eight hour work days
or
7.5 entire eight hour work weeks!
Imagine almost two months of work time devoted to the gradual destruction of these innocent bodies. Imagine all the wonderful moments interrupted in order to go find a place to feed a mandatory chemical need.
Last edited by John (Gold) on 11 Feb 2009, 21:24, edited 1 time in total.