Michelle72482
Michelle72482

March 31st, 2006, 3:47 pm #51

You are doing wonderful!! My son who is almost 16 picked up the terrible habit of chewing..He quit a few months back but only to start up again..There are LOTS of kid's who chew at the high school he goes to and at his age, he is under that darn peer pressure thing..I so wish he would quit..I hate him doing it!! I have showed him pics in here from people who have developed cancer and thought that would work, he is addicted and needs to quit when HE wants to..
Michelle
nicotine free for 2 1/2 years.

Starshinegrl Gold
Starshinegrl Gold

March 31st, 2006, 6:02 pm #52

I don't know if Mike thought of either of these:
The terrible threes

and I thought you should have Been here before in your diary!

Scott, I wish I had seen your post before as I would have loved to give you a good, big slap!

Seriously, though: we know Every quit is different but I remember thinking so much about my quit when I approached my bronze milestone... thankfully, though, I was not Fixating on a cigarette at that time, I just wanted to really put down what I had experienced so far.

So great to see that my slap wasn't needed!

Have another (hopefully good) nicotine free day.

Gitte
490 days and a bit

Starshinegrl Gold
Starshinegrl Gold

March 31st, 2006, 6:03 pm #53

Michelle, I know you don't really think it is just a nasty little habit but I wonder if you have shown

to your son? I hope he is not one of those Kids who just don't get it.

Gitte

Michelle72482
Michelle72482

April 9th, 2006, 2:05 pm #54

No, Gitte, I don't think it is just a habit..I worded that wrong, it is an addiction and it breaks my heart he is doing it..I get on him about it and tell him not to be a follower, to be his own person..I have showed hom lots of material on chewing and will show him these links as well..

SLees21
SLees21

April 11th, 2006, 1:15 pm #55

Here I sit today, April 10, 2006 - 100 days of freedom!

I have not added anything to my journal the last couple of weeks. I have been around reading here and there. I just don't have anything to add right now.

My FREEDOM is fantastic! My last hurdle was a couple of weeks ago. I got through it and I think I have accepted the new "clean" me.

I do get angry at times just like the never-dippers do, but the difference is that now when I am mad I don't even think about about having a dip. I still have my guard up and will keep it up for the remainder of my life, however, most of my time is spent living my life - not thinking about the fact that I don't dip any more and that is just awesome.

To any dipper out there lurking. I know how you feel. It seems impossible to live life without dip. I thought so too. Now I know the TRUTH. Living as a recovering nicotine addict is far easier than living a life of highs and lows trying to keep my nicotine level up in my body.

I could not be happier and I owe a lot of my success to the people who make this site a reality. May God have many gifts for you in this life and the next.

SLees21
SLees21

April 17th, 2006, 2:21 pm #56

Here is something interesting for the old diary. During most holidays I would always volunteer to do the dishes. Why would I volunteer for this task??? Well, because I could sit at the sink cleaning for a good hour with a nice big dip in my mouth.

I HAVE NOT HAD A CRAVE IN WEEKS.......Until tonight. Had a slight one that made me think about my reasons for quitting for a whole 30 seconds or so. I'll bet next holiday as I am washing the dishes I won't even have to deal with that 30 seconds of slight discomfort.

For any one reading my journal, this freedom thing is really cool. You get to a point and it is so easy to not dip. The days fly by and you live your life.

IF you have not quit and you are reading this - quit now. It is so much easier. And with the extra money I am golfing in Mexico in a couple of weeks and Palm Springs this summer. Maybe the OLD COURSE next summer. Cool......

ChurnedSue
ChurnedSue

April 17th, 2006, 4:35 pm #57

Thats great SLees21
Sue

auntvaleria
auntvaleria

April 18th, 2006, 12:10 pm #58

Scott, you are doing a wonderful job on your quit! I'm proud of you and appreciate you sharing your journey. Sounds like you have some great golfing destinations!
One day at a time and NTAP/dip!

aunt valeria
I have been quit for 1 Month, 3 Weeks, 1 Day, 3 hours, 40 minutes and 9 seconds (53 days). I have saved $146.16 by not smoking 1,063 cigarettes. I have saved 3 Days, 16 hours and 35 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 2/23/2006 7:30 PM

SLees21
SLees21

May 1st, 2006, 2:05 pm #59

WOW!!! Four months of freedom here in an hour. I have to say it is now very easy to not use dip. I rarely think about it and when I do it is just a thought that is easily brushed away. I have not had a craving in a month.

I really should change the title here in my post. It is no longer a battle to not dip each day. I still come here and read a few times a week, but I do not need to be here everyday as I was in the beginning.

I really never thought not using dip would be easy. For anyone out there reading this....it is soooo worth it to go through the withdrawal and everything else to get to this point. I know I will not dip every morning when I wake up and I don't have to remember to think it. Boy I sure do remember all those mornings my brain told me I needed nicotine before I even got out of bed. I know in my heart I will never have one of those mornings again. Why? Because I learned the secret here....Never Take Another Dip!

SallyGL
SallyGL

May 1st, 2006, 3:41 pm #60

Thanks for coming back and telling us that you rarely think about nicotine now, that's very encouraging for those following in your footsteps

Sally
~Free for 55 days after 40+ years not.

MawRosie
MawRosie

May 1st, 2006, 5:46 pm #61

Hi Scott

Bronze and a bit is a great achievement, you should be proud of yourself and I echo Sally's sentiments, it is very encouraging for the rest of us, coming behind you that you are now feeling so good

Rosie

31days and counting

Starshinegrl Gold
Starshinegrl Gold

May 1st, 2006, 5:59 pm #62

OK, Scott, if you ever find out how to change the title of your post, please, let me know.

Massive Congratulations on four months of nicotine free living!!

It is wonderful to see you, too, taking your place in the comfort zone without getting complacent.

Wishing you just a great nicotine free journey onwards!

Gitte
521 days and a bit

whosthisitsmesilly
whosthisitsmesilly

May 1st, 2006, 6:36 pm #63

Grrrreat

Cathy
I have been quit for 1 Month, 3 Weeks, 3 Days, 11 hours, 37 minutes and 56 seconds (54 days). I have saved £226.10 by not smoking 1,089 cigarettes. I have saved 3 Days, 18 hours and 45 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 08/03/2006 00:00

KatieDidIt1999
KatieDidIt1999

May 1st, 2006, 6:42 pm #64

Congratulations Scott! Wow...read back through your posts...you've come a long way. Good for you!!
yqs Kat
118 Free Days

SLees21
SLees21

June 1st, 2006, 5:43 am #65

Well, here I am another month in the books being nicotine free. WOW!!! I can not tell you all how happy I am to be where I am now. It took about 3.5 months to comfort. And let me tell you, comfortable I am. I have not had a craving since the late part of April.

Being free has also allowed me to focus on other areas of my life I have wanted to improve for years. I have started to make life long changes to the way I eat. No longer some fast food followed by a big dip. Now I am eating smart and exercising often. I am now 15 lbs lighter than I was when I started my quit. I did gain some in the middle, but that weight is long gone. I also don't eat during cravings anymore. Oh yeah, that's right - I no longer crave nicotine. For awhile there I thought I would gain 50 lbs. the way I was eating. I didn't and now I am losing that and more.

I have never felt better and I have this site to thank and all you wonderful people. For anyone thinking of quitting or those of you in the first stages of breaking free, stick with it. There will be some tough times at points but it is all soooooo worth it. In the end you come out a new person. There is nothing today that happens that I feel I need some nicotine. No cravings at all. Every once in awhile a random thought pops in my head, and then it is gone just as quick. I call this the juicy steak phenomenon. And as time grows between my quit and today I think about it less and less. To the point where I sometimes end the day and then go, oh my gosh, I did not think of that old me until right now. I can only imagine how little I will think about it after another month.

Thanks for reading this far. One more month and I make silver.

One last thought for you newbies.....if I had known this is what it felt like to not use tobacco, I would have quit years ago.

Never Take Another Dip!

Free for FIVE MONTHS! 151 Days!

forza d animo
forza d animo

June 1st, 2006, 10:34 am #66

Scott,
It is good to see you back on the board again. I know it was a bit of a struggle for you in the beginning but you made it very clear in your most recent entry how it was worth it to remain resolute. The payoff is enormous.

I sense the exicitement in your post and remember what it was like to discover how good it feels to be nicotine free. There is a sense that the world is all new again and a realization that there is much to be discovered. It doesn't come immediately or all at once but one day we just realize that the struggle is over. The sun shines a little brighter and we walk around we a little bounce in our step.

Good to hear from you.

Joseph

SallyGL
SallyGL

June 1st, 2006, 3:37 pm #67

CONGRATULATIONS
HE HAS FOUND COMFORT!!
SCOTT IS GREEN X 5!!

Next stop SILVER!! You have done so well

Sally
~ 86 days free after 40+ years not.

KatieDidIt1999
KatieDidIt1999

June 1st, 2006, 9:36 pm #68

Scott,
Congratulations on finding your comfort!! It's amazing how far you have come. You are living proof that if anyone is on the verge of throwing their quit away, they should think again. I'm really happy for you! See you at silver!
Kat
149 Free Days

JoeJFree Gold
JoeJFree Gold

June 1st, 2006, 11:34 pm #69

Way to go Scott! Your discovery is only just begun. Enjoy each day you remain free. Choose to not use because you feel so good by Not Taking Another Pinch.

JoeJ

Aprilangel1951
Aprilangel1951

June 4th, 2006, 6:48 am #70

Scott,
Welcome to 5 months of freedom,feels great doesn't it? Who would have thought when we started this journey that we would be at 5 months nicotine free and comfortable with it!!! Now onward to silver,see ya there!
Carol
153 days of living free!!

auntvaleria
auntvaleria

June 5th, 2006, 1:06 pm #71

Scott,
Congrats to you on 5 months quit! I was really glad to see your post and your update. It is nice that it is not a battle everyday. We are educated now, so when the thoughts or triggers sneak up, we are ready to face them head on. And just think, you made it to 5xGreen, just one day at a time and staying commited to NTAP/dip!
I'm so proud of you!

aunt valeria
I have been quit for 3 Months, 1 Week, 2 Days, 4 hours, 35 minutes and 56 seconds (101 days). I have saved $278.26 by not smoking 2,023 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Week and 35 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 2/23/2006 7:30 PM

SLees21
SLees21

July 1st, 2006, 2:09 pm #72

SILVER!!!!!!!!
Here I sit at 11:02PM, June 30th, 2006. I can't help but to think back to December 31, 2005 at the same time of night. I was sitting on the couch on my third tin of the day. I was nervous about my impending quit, but excited at the same time. Now here I sit six months later trying to keep my eyes open long enough to get this day memorialized. So much has changed about how I feel over the past six months.

I feel so much better now. I sleep better. I wake up easier. Everything seems to be better and easier now that I don't have to feed that addiction all of the time.

I rarely, if ever, think of using nicotine again. And even those times it pops into my head, it leaves almost immediately. I still remember the craves that seemed to last all day long. What misery that was! Now I just live my life.

I still come here two to three times per week to read and remind myself what it was like to have to quit. Plus I get to see it at home from my wife who keeps "trying" to quit smoking. She seems to get through day one and then loses it on day 2. I have tried to help her but for some reason she does not want to use this site. I doubt that she will quit anytime soon. But that's her problem. Me, I'm free and free I will always be.

Thanks to everyone on this site. Your words and encouragement saved my life.

God Bless you ALL.

SallyGL
SallyGL

July 1st, 2006, 2:41 pm #73

CONGRATULATIONS
He is free and free he will always be!!
SCOTT IS SILVER!!

Onward to GOLD !!
Really good to see you back here Scott!

Sally
~ 116 days free after 40+ years not.

KatieDidIt1999
KatieDidIt1999

July 1st, 2006, 7:44 pm #74

Way to go Scott!!! Happy Silver!! It's hard to believe huh? I remember those tough early days too. I'm so very proud of what you've done, you surely should be!!!
Kat
179 Free Days

Bonniequit
Bonniequit

July 2nd, 2006, 6:26 am #75

Congratulations Scott,

Just took the time to read through your diary... very inspirational. Even though I smoke rather than dip, it's amazing how the physical and emotional withdrawal challenges are pretty much the same. As I'm sure you accept, your wife will quit in her own time, when she's ready. And when she does, you will be a great resource and support for her... Well done!

Bonnie
Happily nicotine free for Two months, one day, 3 hours, 56 minutes and 30 seconds. A grand total of 1429 nicotine sticks not ingested, saving $486.12 of my hard-earned money. Life saved: 4 days, 23 hours, 5 minutes.