My battle - a day in the life of a dipper

27 Feb 2006, 19:44 #26

Hey Slee! Don't feel alone. Last night I was just telling my husband how wierd it was that the smoke smell was nasty, it isn't a struggle not to buy the stuff, I don't even want one when I see others smoke......so why do I just feel kind of lost still? Wierd isn't it? I'm thinking we just need more time and education between us and the addiction. Hang in there, you're doing great.
Kat
Free for 1 Month, 3 Weeks, 2 Days, 23 hours and 8 minutes (54 days). $255.57 saved, 1,648 cigarettes not smoked. I have not stood freezing or frying in the elements for 5 Days, 17 hours and 20 minutes of my life. Quit date: 1/3/2006 7:30 AM

28 Feb 2006, 04:44 #27

Hi Scott and Kat,

You are both still adjusting, and this is part of the healing process.

It IS going to get even better than this. You will not always have that lost feeling.

Have you read Turning the corner - acceptance lately?

Parker wrote this in a reply to the thread Patience :

It is so important to remember that this is a healing process. It takes time to re-wire the brain. It takes time to learn to move through our daily lives and routines without relying on a drug. It takes time to educate ourselves and to gain confidence in our ability to succeed. For today...make a promise to yourself to give time time. Be patient with your healing. Keep reading and learning and trusting us when we say: it will get better!

Never take another puff, dip or chew!

Sal

06 Mar 2006, 13:51 #28

Here I am 64 days into being nicotine free. It has been great to get some control back into my life. There are still times when I think about wanting nicotine but I know I really don't want everything that goes with it.

I would also be afraid of never being able to get quit again. I am really glad I finally took the time to understand what I was doing to myself. The only down side which would have happened any way is that I have caught every cold that came down the pipe this year. I have been to the doc a couple of times and I think I may go back this week if I don't feel better soon. As soon as I shake this cold business I know I will feel fantastic that I have quit.

For any lurker that is dipping right now I have to say it was not easy but sooo worth it. I still crave at times but they are weak and I have learned how to handle them. Read what they say here...all these people speak the truth.

Thanks to everyone at this site. I usually post on Sunday night but I read a little bit every day. Peace.

06 Mar 2006, 17:43 #29

Hi again, Scott,

wow, you are nearly bronze ...

I just wanted to come in here to tell you that I really love your diary and especially your last entry.
Here's a nice, hot cuppa tea and wishing you that your cold will have gone away soon (and ever so glad that you to read that you will be back to the doc if it doesn't get better soon) so that you will be able to really enjoy your new nicotine free life!
Gitte
465 days and a bit
Edited to repair links: JRP
Last edited by Starshinegrl Gold on 05 Jan 2011, 16:00, edited 2 times in total.

06 Mar 2006, 21:32 #30

Hi Scott, I just read your thread, and want to congratulate you. You are doing great, and you're on your way to the bronze club. So, Congratulations, keep up the good job and always remember to NTADip.

Dina - Free and Healing for One Year, Eleven Months, Nineteen Days, 7 Hours and 9 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 62 Days and 8 Hours, by avoiding the use of 17957 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $7,399.25.

06 Mar 2006, 23:42 #31

Scott,
Congratulations on 60+ days of nicotine free living. One bit of advice. Don't let your cold keep you from celebrating everyday or feel like it is holding you back from experiencing the joy of living without nicotine. These people did not:
Life is better everyday that you make the choice not dip.

Joseph

Edited to repair link:  JRP
Last edited by forza d animo on 05 Jan 2011, 16:03, edited 1 time in total.

14 Mar 2006, 01:46 #32

I AM STILL HERE! For a little while last week I did not know if I would still be here this Monday morning. You see, last week my wife, who was supposed to quit smoking while I quit dipping relapsed to smoking. I was not that surprised since she had been using nicotine gum during her quit. She thinks she is not an addict because while smoking she only smoked 5-10 a day and while quit she only used 3-5 pieces of nicotine gum. LUNACY!!!

When I found out that she had relapsed I started having some JUNKIE thoughts. She is supposed to go cold turkey today and I figured I may as well have a relapse weekend. Fortunately, I logged on here and got some really good advice. It reminded me of why I quit and that I may not be able to quit again. That was the closest I have come to relapsing since I quit 72 days ago.

Except for that last, week was not that hard. I rarely have actual craves anymore. Thoughts? Yes, from time to time. Actual craves? Very seldom these days. I know they may come around for a while, but I also know and recognize them for what they are. I still come here everyday to read and get my education. I tried to pass along the information to my wife and she got very angry that I printed out the 149 page pdf. It must be the addict talking. Oh well, I can't control someone else, only me.

And for me I am proud to say that I have been nicotine free for...

71 Days, 9 Hours and 46 minutes!

14 Mar 2006, 03:16 #33

Scott,
It's great that you are still here with us. You should be very proud of yourself.

Give yourself a pat on the back.

Kristie - Free and Healing for Twenty Four Days, 16 Hours and 45 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 1 Day and 17 Hours, by avoiding the use of 494 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $80.10.

14 Mar 2006, 09:09 #34

Good to see you are still here Scott!! Looks like we'll be celebrating Bronze before you know it.
Kat
Free for 2 Months, 1 Week, 3 Days, 12 hours and 38 minutes (69 days). $323.29 saved, 2,085 cigarettes not smoked. I have not stood freezing or frying in the elements for 1 Week, 5 hours and 45 minutes of my life. Quit date: 1/3/2006 7:30 AM

14 Mar 2006, 09:51 #35

hey Scott...great to see you're still here and doing so well. And glad to see you say that you can only control you. Yep, it would be wonderful if your wife quit too, but that has nothing to do with your quit. Never forget that. and
Never Take Another Dip....Ps...don't substitute a Puff either.
annie
I have been quit for 1 Month, 4 Days, 1 hour, 44 minutes and 40 seconds (32 days). I have deprived the tobacco companies of $208.18 by not smoking 1,603 cigarettes. I have saved 5 Days, 13 hours and 35 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 2/9/2006 7:11 PM

14 Mar 2006, 15:19 #36

Good going Scott!
Glad to have you hear at Freedom. Keep up the good work - your wife will do what she needs to do, you are doing what is good for you, it really is good for you
Keep on reading an posting

Linda - GOLD

14 Mar 2006, 15:54 #37

Hi Scott,

Mega news that you got through the weekend, I'm really delighted for you, you've done fantastic!!

Well done!!

I turned green yesterday, my hardest moments are at the weekend as well, but keep on truckin'!!

Mike W....

14 Mar 2006, 17:51 #38

Scott,

like the others, I am also so very glad to see you still with us and doing so well.

I thought you might like your post of last week in here not only to remind you of last week but also just in case you'll Need some more reminders at a later stage.

One thing with re to your wife: when you think about it ... she did not relapse, she had not really started her quit. You are doing right in focussing on yourself. Your situation made me think of this post:

There are also a few posts / articles that come to mind for her but I am sure you'll have seen them in the Topic Index.

Looking forward to celebrating your bronzing with you and wishing you a good nicotine free journey to there and beyond.

Gitte
473 days and a bit

15 Mar 2006, 05:10 #39

Thanks to everyone for replying. It makes me stronger in my quit to know that others are watching. As long as we don't take another puff/dip/chew we will remain free. Every day it gets easier and easier. To give myself another goal a friend and I have decided to run in the San Francisco marathon at the end of July. No way I ever could have dreamed of that while using nicotine.

Have a great day! I LOVE BEING FREE!!!

20 Mar 2006, 08:17 #40

Hi Scott,
Running in the San Francisco marathon how wonderful that would be and what a tribute to your resolve to remain nicotine free. Keep up the great work and I look forward to seeing you at Bronze!
Carol
77 days of freedom!

20 Mar 2006, 13:33 #41

Another week has gone by and I remain nicotine free. I had a few crave sessions during the week, nothing big but it was there a little bit.

During the last couple of days I believe I have turned some sort of mental corner. Saturday and Sunday were sooo easy. It was well into each day before I even thought about the fact that I did not want any nicotine today. I think I am getting closer and closer to total comfort without nicotine.

Nothing more to write today. Just feel very thankful to be nicotine free and so thankful that this site exists and there are some many people who care - just because. During my using years I would have paid good money for what I am now experiencing. Just wish I would have found it earlier.

Have a great week everyone! Stay free.

20 Mar 2006, 19:45 #42

Way to go Scott.....sounds like you are reaching the place we've all wanted to be! Glad to see you here!
Kat
Free for 2 Months, 2 Weeks, 2 Days, 23 hours and 11 minutes (75 days). $353.23 saved, 2,278 cigarettes not smoked. I have not stood freezing or frying in the elements for 1 Week, 21 hours and 50 minutes of my life. Quit date: 1/3/2006 7:30 AM

20 Mar 2006, 20:47 #43

Hi Scott, You are doing great on your quit! I'm really proud of you; and thanks for coming to my rescue last week. Like you, I wish I had found this site earlier, but we can't live in the past, so its good we are here now. I understand the "mental corner"; this weekend was a little easier, craves weren't as many, or as long. kind of a passing thought. You have a great week too. I will be green soon; hope you can come to my party!
aunt valeria

I have been quit for 3 Weeks, 3 Days, 11 hours, 17 minutes and 43 seconds (24 days). I have saved $67.28 by not smoking 489 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Day, 16 hours and 45 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 2/23/2006 7:30 PM

20 Mar 2006, 21:02 #44

Hi Scott,

Really happy for you that you're doing so well; I've felt your struggles and glad to see your post again.

Best wishes,

Mike W............ No nicotine since 13th Feb

21 Mar 2006, 13:04 #45

I usually don't post this much but I have to get this feeling down while I am still feeling it. Today I played in a golf tournament. One of the poeple in our foursome was dipping Copenhagen. It was weird. I saw it on the second hole of the day. I did feel some panic as I thought about playing for another four hours with my delivery vehicle of choice so close by.

And then something happened. I looked at it for what it is, not what it used to be for me. I did not think about using any for a second. Never felt better and this coming from someone who thought golf could not be played without a dip in my cheek.

21 Mar 2006, 13:10 #46

Scott, Now how good did that feel?!? You are smarter than your addiction and you
were strong! You are doing great and are such an inspiration! Thanks for sharing your day. Hope you had a good game! One day at a time and NTAP/dip!
aunt valeria

I have been quit for 3 Weeks, 4 Days, 3 hours, 40 minutes and 31 seconds (25 days). I have saved $69.16 by not smoking 503 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Day, 17 hours and 55 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 2/23/2006 7:30 PM

27 Mar 2006, 13:53 #47

Another week gone by. I had a few craves this week but they were not very strong. I even fixated for awhile before I realized I was doing it. Once I realized what was going on I shut that down. My mind even put this plan together that I would dip for a week again and then quit on April 1st. And do you want to know why....because April to me means Spring and wouldn't it be great to have your quit day be Arpil 1st. How lame! Never came anywhere near relapse and I really don't see how I could go back now.

So I would say that I am to a point where I have total comfort most of the time. I still have my times that are a little rough, but nothing like the first couple of weeks.

The other thing that makes me not want to relapse is watching my wife. She has finally read a little bit here but still thinks it is not for her. She has realized she needs to go cold turkey and has tried the last two days. She failed both days and says she will start again tomorrow. Watching her is really some good relapse prevention. I remember all to well the days of the quit/cave cycle. I WAS THE KING!! But no more - now I am the court jester giggling in the corner I am soo happy to be off nicotine.

I am free from nicotine for 85 Days, 21 Hours and 53 minutes!

27 Mar 2006, 16:19 #48

Hi Slees, So pleased to hear you are doing well and sticking with it and are were you want to be.
Just had to let you know that here in England we do associate April with Spring but we call April 1st "April Fools Day" not sure why, perhaps there is someone out there who can enlighten me.
Just food for thought...............NTAP
Sue
Free for 85 days after 45 years of feeding an addiction

27 Mar 2006, 16:36 #49

Hi Scott,

Nice to see you post again...I know what you mean about trying to do a little deal with yourself.............It was our first day of Spring here yesterday he and it really was a glorious day.
Went for a walk and then said to my wife it's so nice we could have a coffee sat outside at a restaurant.
Now, the thought of that set off a twitch to smoke.
I recalled the writings here and there is link about facing things for the first time as a non-smoker. So, I reckon, in the first year, going through the 4 seasons as a non-smoker, you have to re-write your neurons to say, "Hey, ok, this time last year, I was here in THIS situation as a smoker, but NOW I DON'T smoke anymore, and you know what? I am going to enjoy THIS experience 100 times more as a NON-SMOKER!!!"

Thinking like that worked as well.......

Best wishes.....Mike W.....No nicotine since 13th Feb 2006

31 Mar 2006, 13:02 #50

Rick