Misery Love Company

John (Gold)

18 Jun 2003, 19:49 #11

The below article on the effects of the N.Y. City's indoor smoking ban seemed appropriate to this post by Joel. When I read such articles about nicotine addicts huddled together outside, enduring the elements in spaces and places once reserved for the curbside alcoholic, as they are assaulted with shouts and even water, and their empties are discarded everywhere, yes, it's natural to feel for the innocent forced to endure the byproducts of their dependency but those forced to engage in public feedings every 20 to 30 minutes (and even more frequently when consuming alcohol - an acid producing event within the body that depletes reserves of the alkaloid nicotine) are victims too!

Freedom's Non-debate Policy - Please note that Freedom has a non-debate policy to ensure that our primary mission - no nicotine today - stays first and foremost the focus of all. We each have differing opinions on the merits of social controls being enacted around the globe to control smoking but our varying opinions contribute nothing toward supporting any member in remaining nicotine free today. Articles such as this are normally offered to allow members to see where the tobacco control movement is headed, so as to serve as one more reason for each of us to Never Take Another Puff. This article serves a dual purpose as it allows us a glimpse of who we each once were. Still only one rule - no nicotine today, NTAP! John

Smoking Ban Clogs
New York City Sidewalks

Tue Jun 17,12:48 PM ET
By SARA KUGLER, Associated Press Writer
NEW YORK - Eleven weeks after the city snuffed out smoking in bars and restaurants, few people are lighting up inside. Instead, many smokers have taken the party to the street, annoying neighbors with noise, litter and clouds of smoke.

On Manhattan's Lower East Side, the sidewalks that years ago were lined with sleeping drunks are now clogged with packs of smokers who flock to the trendy neighborhood bars that popped up after the area got a facelift.

At night, Jen Davis is forced to walk her two dogs down the middle of Ludlow Street, where apartments are sandwiched above and between dance clubs and other nightspots.

"It's annoying because there's just tons of people out and you can't get through the sidewalks, and it's loud," Davis said. "There's like cigarette butts everywhere - it's a mess."

Nearby along Essex Street, frustrated neighbors have been known to dump water on noisy smokers outside bars below.

Mayoral spokesman Jordan Barowitz said the city still is adjusting to the law, which Mayor Michael Bloomberg pushed primarily to protect workers from secondhand smoke.

"Smoke-free bars and restaurants are saving lives, but any time new legislation is enacted, there's always a transition period," said Barowitz, adding that the mayor's anti-noise campaign launched last fall would help address the new complaints.

Bar owners say smokers rarely light up inside now, and are generally agreeable when told to take it outdoors. But one nightclub bouncer was stabbed to death when he tried to enforce the ban two weeks after it began, police said.

City health department officials said they issued 57 smoking ban violations from May 1, when they began issuing citations, until May 23, the latest date figures are available. The ban went into effect March 30 but allowed a grace period for businesses to learn the law.

Most citations related to a lack of no-smoking signs. The penalties - issued to business owners, not smokers - range from $200 to more than $1,000 for multiple offenses.

At the Bubble Lounge in Manhattan's Tribeca neighborhood, extra security guards were hired to control the crowd of sidewalk smokers, co-owner Eric Benn said.

"It prevents the flow of people on the sidewalk and there's clouds of smoke - you can't get into the bar without breathing secondhand smoke," Benn said.

Joseph Maritato, co-owner of The Whiskey Ward on the Lower East Side, said the smoking ban has cost him in various ways: People linger outside after they smoke, and therefore don't buy as many drinks. And customers who used to come for happy hour now head straight home to New Jersey bars.

He has laid off two bartenders and said business is down 30 percent.

Maritato and his neighbors predict the problems will get worse through the summer, as people flock outside and the noise wafts through open apartment windows.

In another bar-heavy neighborhood uptown, where the locals also complain of impassable sidewalks, Murphy's Bar and Restaurant owner Tony Meegan said his staff has to keep an eye out for customers who walk outside with their drinks, or try to skip out on their tabs. Workers also sweep the butts and spray down the sidewalks more frequently.

Non-smokers say they welcome the smoking ban when they walk into a bar now - but hate the outdoor result.

"It dirties up the streets of Manhattan," said Barbara Weiss, as she walked along a Second Avenue block lined with bars, restaurants and butts.
Copyright © 2003 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

JoeJFree Gold

06 May 2005, 03:29 #12

READ THE entire Misery Love Company original message from Joel and make sure you READ, READ, READ THE FIRST 10 ENTRIES
PURE GOLDEN TRUTH!
Since Linda and Joanne said it's good to hear about the differences in quit experience I'd like to add my two cents -
Of the 115 days since I acknowledged my addiction & chose to free myself of nicotine forever by getting rid of tobacco in all forms, mainly cigarettes, I have had an 'easy' quit. Have I faced challenges? Yes, absolutely.
However, I'd like to put those challenges which I'd categorize as craves (less than 10 of these), triggers, rememberance thoughts, 'thiggers' ...etc all together into one pile of minutes. If I then total all of the 'challenging' time together it probably does not equal even one 24 hour (1440 minutes) day! I've experienced maybe ONE day of challenging discomfort for 114 days of overall pleasureable, previously believed unattainable, comfortable no tobacco smoking Freedom.
After over 3 MILLION puffs of nicotine, which consumed 2,920,000 minutes = 48,667 hours = 2028 days of my lifetime devoted to feeding my addiction (all of those are bad days since I've condensed this number to pure addiction feeding time) I find that a Good Days to Bad Days ratio of 114:1 to be aVERY GOOD return. I'll further postulate that the ratio of Good Days to Bad Days will continue to increase exponentially since at nearly 4 months my tough times are practically through. How can I say that? Because I believe what I've been taught is the absolute truth.
Jackrabit50Gold said it best recently when he stopped by to let us know how good THREE YEARS of Good Says feels - all you gotta do is Read, Post and NTAP.
I'll add if you do those basics and add a positive outlook this quitting business becomes a SNAP to stay free. My Mom taught me that acronym, I just was not ready to listen those now many years ago when she quit with prayer and cold turkey - "Just put 'em down & never pick one up again. Simply Never Another Puff." So for Mothers Day this year I'd like to honor my Mom and say for the whole world to hear - Thanks MOM, I'm listenin' now!
joejFree - Nicotine Free and Healing for Three Months, Twenty Six Days, 4 Hours and 15 Minutes (115 days and a bit)
Reclaiming 15 Days and 23 Hours Image
2879 nicotine delivery devices not used - $571.39 retained earnings.
NTAP!
PS - Wanna know a secret - my personal key to an easy quit is in the first sentence of the preceding paragraph and in these wise words by a guy named Zep (http://ffn.yuku.com/reply/257090/t/Usin ... ply-257090) which are still posted on the refrigerator door at home. I read that message nearly every day.
Don't believe me? You don't think it is Simple and Easily Doable to get rid of tobacco? Just read above in messages 2 thru 9 what some of the Goldest Oldbies have to say.
Last edited by JoeJFree Gold on 14 Dec 2009, 00:43, edited 3 times in total.

Joel

03 May 2007, 05:55 #13

This is a good string for anyone who thinks that most quitters are miserable or that quitting leads to real misery.

Another string that is good to clarify this point is For people who think quitting smoking is the hardest thing they have ever done.
Last edited by Joel on 27 Aug 2009, 01:56, edited 1 time in total.

FreedomNicotine

14 Dec 2009, 00:33 #15

There are times when a member is having a bad day or more accurately a bad moment who come over to read and participate at Freedom. We would hope that the reason a person stops by when encountering difficulty is so that he or she can read to refocus and reinforce his or her thoughts on how much he or she wanted to quit, how important it is for him or her to stay off, and to seek out motivational and inspirational posts to help him or her secure the quit that he or she has worked so hard at attaining.

But sometimes it is quite evident that this is not what a person is doing when he or she arrives. In fact, the person often goes to look for the strings with the most negative titles and brings them up to the top, or goes to look up the strings from a person who is also in the midst of a rough time period. So what is a person having smoking thoughts hoping to get out of finding others who are having rough thoughts?

Well, he or she is either looking to establish some sort of camaraderie with the person, working on the basis of misery loves company or, maybe he or she is looking to see if the person relapsed, which would help justify his or her own reason for relapsing. Well Freedom is not the best place to be for either of these two goals. Our general membership is not here because they are working on the theory that misery loves company, and as far as one person relapsing justifying another person's relapse, they can pretty much forget about using the board for this effect too.

You are responsible for your own success or your own failure. The fact is if every one of our Managers relapsed, if I took up smoking and if every other member relapsed too, it would not justify your going back to smoking. It would not give you a legitimate reason to take a cigarette.

I have written this often but when it comes down to it there are only two legitimate reasons to take a cigarette.

One, you want to go back to smoking until it cripples and kills you,

or

two, you enjoyed the physical withdrawals you never want them to end. If this is the case take one drag every three days--withdrawals will last forever.

Every member should start to think out what his or her motivation is for participating at Freedom. If you are coming in to support your decision to quit, to strengthen your resolve and thus secure your quit, then you should either read every single post on the board no matter how negative or positive it sounds so you can see a balanced message, or, just focus on the positive posts and work on tapping into the positive attitude that the vast majority of our members have about quitting.

If you are coming primarily to help others, which is fine if you are personally feeling relatively strong and secure and totally committed to staying free, then you may spend a little more time reading the posts of people in distress so that you may help write posts to reinforce them. Although if you do this enough, it wouldn't hurt for you to spend some time on the positive posts too so that you do not get sucked into a dismal abyss by spending so much time in negative territory.

But if you are looking to rationalize smoking you are going to find more success elsewhere. Go talk to your smoking friends, they will often help you in your quest to rationalize failure. If you believe all of the lies that people tell themselves and will often be glad to share with you as to why they keep on smoking, you likely won't feel to bad about relapsing. Unfortunately whether you feel bad about it or not, your cigarettes are still going to control you and slowly cripple and kill you. Your mind may believe the lies but your body knows the truth, and the truth is that if you are going to stay free saving your health and your life is by you knowing to never take another puff!

Joel