Minimizing the Weight Gained

Physical healing of the body and mind
nancy999

06 Apr 2006, 18:33 #31

As someone who has dealt with minor weight issues my whole adult life, I wanted to add something here that I think is really important.

One of the things we're often trained to do from a very young age is "reward" ourselves with food for doing something good. (Eat your dinner and you'll get desert, clean your room and I'll give you some candy, I just got that promotion - big steak dinner on me!).

I can't think of a better reason to celebrate than quitting smoking. Just be cautious (if you're worried about weight gain) that you're not rewarding yourself too often with high fat/calorie food! I made that mistake and now I'm walking to tim-buk-too on the treadmill Image

Nancy.

Sal GOLD.ffn

02 Jun 2006, 19:34 #32

Last edited by Sal GOLD.ffn on 29 Mar 2009, 17:03, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)

03 Aug 2006, 09:02 #33

Knowledge is Power
Smoking cessation weight gain and weight control are important issues but we must keep our priorities straight. You face a 50% chance that your chemical dependency upon smoking nicotine will cost you roughly 5,000 days of life, and even greater odds that it will leave you permanently crippled and impaired. When quitting smoking, we would need to gain an additional 75 to 100 pounds in order to equal the health risk associated with smoking one pack of cigarettes a day.

Allow yourself the time necessary to become comfortable in your still healing body before becoming overly occupied with any extra pounds. The self discipline skills you master during nicotine dependency recovery can be applied to all life's challenges, including stop smoking weight gain (baby steps - just one meal, one ounce, one pound, or one brief exercise period at a time - just one day at a time).

As Dr. Nora Volkow, the Director of the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) explains in the "Pay Attention" article linked below, both food and nicotine shared the same dopamine pathways. Nicotine also released adrenaline. Once nicotine intake ends many try to eat their temporarily diminished dopamine flow into nicotine comparable quantities, while others pick horrible fights or create outragous fears in an attempt to induce the body's fight or flight pathways to release additional adrenaline. The competition between a week or two of brain neuron re-sensitization and trying to keep weight and relationships in balance is clearly a challenge but one you're fully capable of handling.

In regard to nicotine invoking the body's fight or flight pathways, one of those lizard mind pathways is responsible for providing instant energy to fight or flea the saber tooth tiger, by releasing stored fats and sugars into the bloodstream. Yes, nicotine was our spoon, allowing us to skip meals yet not experience true hunger, as our bigger meals were fed back to us with each puff throughout the day.

This creates two nicotine cessation challenges: (1) learning to again feed ourselves, to spread our normal daily calorie intake out more evenly over our entire day so as not to experience wild blood sugar swing symptoms (not one calorie more but smaller fuelings about every 3 hours), and (2) learning to handle true hunger pains again. In regard to hunger pains, once one arrives it doesn't matter if we eat with a toothpick or a shovel, it is still going to take our digestive system about 20 minutes to convert the food to energy that is capable of turning off the mind's hunger switch. Eat slowly, reasonable size bites and eat healthy!

How many nicotine smokers do you know who love running? They're pretty rare. But online we see countless ex-smokers develop a passion for engaging in various forms of brisk and lengthy physical activity. Imagine experiencing a substantial increase in overall lung function within just 90 days. Any extra pounds can quickly disappear when such new found endurance and stamina are combined with a small to moderate increase in physical activities. If you do find yourself carrying a few extra pounds, be patient with your healing! New abilities are on the way!

Still just one guiding principle determining the outcome for all, no nicotine just one day at a time, Never Take Another Puff!
Breathe deep, hug hard, live long!
[url=mailto:john@whyquit.com]John[/url]

Joel

19 Aug 2006, 01:44 #34

Eating just an additional 100 calories a day will result in a one pound fat gain in just over a month, 10.4 pounds in one year, and an extra 104 pounds in ten years. 104 pounds of fat from drinking the equivalent of one extra soft drink per day. This is why you often hear, "I didn't eat that much more but gained excessive amounts of weight!" True, they may not have eaten that much more daily, but they did it everyday, and the cumulative effect can easily account for the "mysterious" weight gain.

Sal GOLD.ffn

02 Oct 2006, 06:45 #35

Last edited by Sal GOLD.ffn on 29 Mar 2009, 17:17, edited 1 time in total.

FlyinFree

02 Nov 2006, 23:54 #36

this crutch piece says alot within a very few words.

Joel

15 Nov 2006, 00:55 #37

New weight control video. General warning--its long.
Title dial-up highspeed Length Added
Weight control concerns after quitting smoking 9.13mb 21.9mb 43:56 11/14/06

Sal GOLD.ffn

29 Jan 2008, 09:45 #38

Last edited by Sal GOLD.ffn on 29 Mar 2009, 17:49, edited 1 time in total.

The Bald Belgian

28 Mar 2008, 18:03 #39

Hi to All,

Just a quick post with my personal experience on the Weight Gain topic. I am 5 months+ into my quit, and a major change in my life that continues to manifest itself is this very strong urge to exercise. When I still smoked, I did very little physical exercise. I currently play squash twice a week, and go to the gym every time I am on the road for my job. Coupled with a sensible approach to food intake has ensured that I am exactly the same weight now as I was 5 months ago.

Judging by comments from family and friends, I look great, and much, much healthier than I did when I was still a nicojunkie.

Best.

Bob

soulagement0

26 Jun 2008, 16:13 #40

I found the perfect recipe for keeping the weight off...

It is no secret that many of us who smoked heavily also drank our fair share of alcohol. That certainly was the case for me, although I was largely in denial about the slippery slope I was headed down - maye I wasn't an alcoholic - yet.... But I was sure headed that way.

Anywho, if quitting smoking makes you gain weight, and quitting drinking helps you lose weight, then it turns out to be a terrific combination for breaking even! And feeling incredible.

Good luck to all and NTAP!