Minimizing the Weight Gained

Physical healing of the body and mind
CaseyB (Silver )

05 Jun 2002, 10:04 #21

Hello!

I'm still a newbie here, but there's a couple of things that I know regardless of where you are in your quit as far as weight gain...
Exercise -- even if it's light exercise!
and drink lots of water!

Even if you're not used to exercising, start off with walks around your block and increase the time or distance every day. It not only helps maintain your weight (and eventually lose some!), but it also curbs cravings and makes you a happier person (its just sometimes hard to realize that part until you're finished)Image! Not to mention... it feels good to get more oxygen in your new, healing lungs!

As for water, there's nothing wrong with drinking water! It can actually reduce water retention. So, cut down on sugary drinks and get your 8, 8oz glasses a day - or more!

Casey
I have chosen not to smoke for 5 Days and 23 Hours !!! Cigarettes not smoked: 89. Money saved: $11.17. I have rescued 14 Hrs and 53 Mins of my life!

Suekickbutt (GOLD)

17 Jun 2002, 15:02 #22

I'm so relieved about the water retention/bloating explanation. Is there a physiological answer to this phenomenon? anyone?

Your quit sis

Sue

I have chosen not to smoke for 3 Weeks 6 Days 5 Hours 55 Minutes 29 Seconds. Cigarettes not smoked: 817. Money saved: A$249.31.

Joel

17 Jun 2002, 18:57 #23

Hello Sue:

Nicotine causes the release of antidiuretic hormone which on the surface would make you think that quitting smoking would cause you to lose water immediately upon cessation. But it seems that this is one effect that is a rebound effect of quitting, a reaction that nicotine used to do upon administration actually gets intensified when its administration is ceased. One other example of this are people who get tingling effects in their fingers and toes after first quitting. The cause often is that the arteries to these areas go into constriction for a few days after quitting. Nicotine itself is a vasoconstrictor so you would think that stopping smoking would cause arteries to open right up but as in the case of the diuretic effect here, the opposite reaction occurs. This vasoconstriction effect usually adjusts by the fourth day, but the water retention effect often lasts into the second week before things go back to normal.
Hope this helps clarifies things. Even if a person never understands the mechanisms for such reactions, his or her body gets back to normal and will stay that way as long as he or she always remembers to never take another puff!

Joel

Changingmyname(SILVER )

31 Aug 2002, 12:14 #24

Glad to hear the the mushy sludge around my waist that seemingly grew overnight could be temporary water retention. VERY glad to hear it, as my eating habits are far healthier now (following real hunger cues--what a treat to feel really hungry--with nutritious foods) since I quit, and I am very active physically. I am so grateful to be nicotine free and making healthier choices...even if I gain 5-10 pounds, I'll know I'm nourishing my body rather than robbing it from nutrients by smoking.

Feelin' Groovy....
Theresa Image

JennyBoBenny(Gold)

05 Oct 2002, 21:50 #25

Just offering a little ray of hope for those who think they can't quit without gaining. Immediately after quitting, I did indulge in comfort foods and I did 'treat myself' quite a bit for the first three weeks. But I set a definite cut-off point, and so by the time I turned green, I was no longer giving in to the food cravings. I also started exercising in order to rehabilitate my lungs. Now, I am 5 pounds below my pre-quitting weight. I never gained any weight, and the exercise has helped me to slim down a bit. So, as you see, you can structure your quit so that you still 'baby' yourself a little with regard to the food. If you are smart enought to quit using nicotene, you can certainly learn to avoid falling into the trap of eating unhealthy foods as well.

JennyBoBenny
I have been nicotene FREE for: 4M 4W 9h 49m 47s. I have NOT smoked 3760, for a savings of $658.04. Life Saved: 1W 6D 1h 20m. And I have NOT gained a single ounce of weight!

John (Gold)

09 Jan 2003, 06:21 #26

A crutch is anything that you lean heavily upon in order to support or motivate your effort to break nicotine's grip upon your life, including food! If your effort is dependent upon any crutch, what will happen if the crutch is for some reason removed or in the case of food, not removed? Why allow your health and very possibly our life to depend upon any person, place or thing other than you!
Yes, eating lots of extra food that must lead to substantial weight gain, major lifestyle changes that would eventually tire anyone, a quit smoking exercise program that can be interrupted by weather or injury, an uneducated quitting buddy who statistically has an 88 to 90% chance of relapsing within 24 weeks, the support of family and friends who are not drug addicts themselves and can not in fairness be expected to appreciate the magnitude or duration of chemical nicotine withdrawal or psychological recovery, or even leaning too heavily upon any support group to keep your motivation strong, can all serve as risky quit crutches.
This is your quit and the list of reasons on your reasons list all belong to you! The next few minutes are doable and you'll be the only one doing them! If you have only quit for one hour be proud of your accomplishment as no one hour during this temporary journey of adjustment called "quitting" is any more important than another. Baby steps, just one hour, challenge and day at a time! This is doable if we simply NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF! John
Last edited by John (Gold) on 29 Mar 2009, 15:46, edited 1 time in total.

Joel

17 Mar 2003, 23:47 #27

I saw where one member wrote to another member that he or she should do what ever it takes to quit smoking. The example specifically given was drink water or eat ice cream. I have to say, if someone plans on going the ice cream route they had better be ready to go buy a whole slew of complete wardrobes, of ever increasing sizes. If your crutch for smoking thoughts are going to be any high caloric food weight gain of massive amounts should be expected.

As far as using whatever it takes, I guess that can be translated to taking any food, any drug, legal or illegal to quit smoking or any activity, no matter how ludicrous or dangerous that activity may be. Does the comment smoke crack cocaine, or shoot up heroin, or drink lethal dosages of arsenic make any sense to anyone as practical advice to quit smoking? If not, the comment of do whatever it takes loses any real concept of credibility.

The comment needs to be do what it takes to quit smoking. What it takes is simply sticking to your commitment to never take another puff!

Joel

John (Gold)

09 Nov 2003, 17:44 #28

Last edited by John (Gold) on 29 Mar 2009, 16:01, edited 1 time in total.

Joel

26 Jul 2005, 01:01 #29

From the string "Do whatever it takes to quit smoking"
I saw a suggestion up earlier about things that a person can do rather than smoking--eating sunflower seeds being one of the suggestions. The same comment in the original post in this string about eating ice-cream can easily be said about turning to any high caloric food as a substitution for smoking. The advice we give at Freedom is not "do whatever it takes to quit smoking," but rather, "do what it takes to quit smoking." What it takes to quit smoking is simply sticking to your commitment to never take another puff!
Freedom is different than most other sites. We want our new members to be spending a lot more time reading than posting. It takes a lot more time and effort to meet people and write stories that it does to read. While meeting others and sharing your own stories might seem more fun it is not likely going to be giving you new insights to effectively deal with quitting. If you have questions or concerns let us know but spend the bulk of your time enhancing your learning about your addiction and how to treat it.
See also Crutches to Quit Smoking

It does not take a whole lot of sunflower seeds to equal 100 calories. Pick up this pattern while quitting smoking and carry it on over an extended time period and you can needlessly gain lots and lots of extra fat and weight. It may shock some people to find out that all that a person needs to swallow in order to sustain a quit is to swallow the advice to never take another puff.

Joel
Last edited by Joel on 29 Mar 2009, 16:22, edited 1 time in total.

Sal GOLD.ffn

06 Apr 2006, 06:21 #30

From Blood Sugar Changes When Quitting:
Hunger!
A New Experience for Many
If you are just arriving then this thread is VERY important and worth reading again and again. Each new puff of new nicotine fed us by releasing adrenaline, which in turn released stored fats and sugars into our bloodstream. I, for one, lived in a very unnatural feeding world where I almost always skipped breakfast and lunch and yet never knew true hunger. How could that be? Nicotine was my spoon!

It's not only important to understand this issue to help avoid unnecessary blood sugar swing symptoms during early withdrawal, but also in helping understand and appreciate how to deal with "real" hunger. It's important to appreciate the time delay between the arrival of hunger, eating food, and our digestive system having time to convert the food to usable energy that arrives in the brain to turn-off the brain's hunger switch. It takes about 20 minutes.

As Joel points out, if, because of nicotine constantly feeding us, we are not used to the natural period of hunger and attempt to satisfy it with a shovel instead of a slow spoon, we can devour an awful lot of groceries in those 20 minutes. None of us need to eat one calorie more than we did while smoking nicotine but we may need to learn to properly deal with hunger and we may need to learn to spread our normal calorie intake out more evenly over our entire day. It's really a learning experience in simply feeding ourselves again - just like a never-smoker!

If the food craves should arrive, the slower we eat and the greater amount of time passing between food helpings, the fewer helpings we may find ourselves consuming. After all these years of nicotine feeding us it can take a bit of practice learning how to feed ourselves properly again. What a wonderful problem to have!

Breathe deep, hug hard, live long!

John : )
Last edited by Sal GOLD.ffn on 29 Mar 2009, 16:36, edited 1 time in total.