Medication adjustments

Physical healing of the body and mind

Medication adjustments

Joel

19 Jul 2001, 21:39 #1

Often when people quit smoking they may find that medications that were adjusted for them while smoking may be altered in effectiveness once quitting. People on hypertensives, thyroid, depression, blood sugar drugs, and others may need to get re-evaluated for proper dosages once quitting.

The first few days quitting can be very difficult to determine, what is a "normal" withdrawal and what is a medication dosage issue. But once through the first few days, if a person who is on medications for medical disorders finds him or herself having physical symptoms that just seem out of the ordinary, he or she should speak to the doctor who has him or her on the medications. Point out to the doctor that you have recently quit smoking and started to notice the specific symptoms just after quitting and that they haven't improved over time. The doctor should know the medication and potential interaction that not smoking may be adjusting for and which way the dosing may need to altered.

Treating many conditions is a partnership between you and your physician. The doctor needs your input to effectiveness of any treatment, whether it be by physical measurements or by verbally communicating how you feel while under treatment. The treatment for one condition though is your primary responsibility. The condition--nicotine addiction. It is by no means a minor medical issue, it is in fact probably the greatest controlable health threat anyone will ever face. Afterall, what other lifestyle issues carry a 50% premature mortality rate? Not to mention all the other crippling side effects that go along with long-term smoking. The treatment for this condition is your primary responsibility. To effectively treat smoking for the rest of your life simply remember to never take another puff!

Joel

Related video:

Medication adjustments that may be necessary after smoking cessation
Last edited by Joel on 26 Jul 2013, 17:25, edited 2 times in total.

Hal(Gold)

21 Jul 2001, 03:56 #2

Excellent information Joel. I read of a study in England where nicotine causes smokers who drink have to drink more to feel the alcohol impact on the body. I have found that at almost 8 months quit I can feel the effects after drinking half of a glass of scotch and soda. It used to take two glasses. The study also stated that because of this impact smokers face more problems with alcohol than non or ex smokers.

John (Gold)

22 Nov 2001, 04:22 #3

Joel, I ran across the below article today which I found fascinating. I hadn't realized that estrogen directly regulated dopamine production. I guess that quitters on estrogen replacement threapy may fit into your "medication adjustment" group should mood symptoms/depression persist beyond the normal psychological loss (your phases of death article) that often accompanies quitting. Am I correct?
Try this on: What do bupropion, nicotine, estrogen and cocaine all have in common? Answer - They all elevate dopamine output. Wild!
Estrogen, women and addiction
WASHINGTON, Nov. 19 (UPI) -- It's long been noted that women have a harder time quitting smoking than men. Now new research by a University of Michigan bio-psychologist suggests that estrogen makes the brain more susceptible to addiction.[/size]
Moreover, the effects persist even in the hormone's absence.
All "drugs of abuse," including opiates and nicotine, ultimately activate the "ascending dopamine system" and the brain's pleasure center, Jill Becker told United Press International. She is a visiting professor on a year's sabbatical at Emory University in Atlanta.
The pleasurable effects of increased dopamine, and the craving to repeat it, help create addiction.
When women develop a nicotine addiction, "they have estrogen on board." Because the brain is sensitized, the craving for nicotine would be more pronounced and would continue even when estrogen levels are low.
Some of Becker's earlier research had shown that estrogen supplementation in female rats rapidly increased both dopamine release in response to amphetamines and cocaine and behavior known to be associated with the drugs.
Becker later found that female rats who received estrogen as well as cocaine exhibited more signs of such "sensitization" than either female rats that did not receive estrogen or male rats.
Rats who are sensitized after repeated drug doses learn to self-administer cocaine faster and at lower doses than other animals. These behavioral changes persisted after the female rats, all of whose ovaries had been surgically removed, stopped receiving estrogen, Becker reported on Nov. 14 at the 2001 meeting of the Society for Neuroscience in San Diego.
"We know from other studies that sensitization to cocaine results in structural changes in the brain that persist for some time," Becker said.
How can these observations be tied in with evolutionary theory? For female rats, at least, estrogen's role in boosting dopamine is involved in their motivation for engaging in sexual behavior and their reproductive success.
"My lab has demonstrated that estrogen has rapid effects that boost the amount of dopamine released," Becker said. "These effects are evident in sexual behavior, as well as compulsive drug-seeking. Dopamine levels increase when a female rat is engaging in sexual behavior that she finds rewarding, and for female rats, not all sex is rewarding."
According to sociobiological theory, the reproductive goals of both sexes are the same -- both want to produce the greatest number of viable offspring. The strategies for achieving that goal, however, are different.
"Males can do that most effectively by inseminating a large number of females," Becker told UPI. "So it's more adaptive for them to be able to ejaculate as rapidly as possible. Their system is designed for that."
Females, on the other hand, have a relatively greater investment in the production of eggs. "And so what they want to do is make sure that every time they ovulate, they get pregnant in order to maximize their reproductive success."
Male rats apparently prefer intromission every 30 seconds, followed by rapid ejaculation, she said, while females prefer a slower pace, with one or two minutes between intromissions. This pace activates a series of synaptic pathways in the female's brain that triggers the release of prolactins necessary for successful pregnancy.
If a female rat "paces" her sexual behavior, she increases her chances of getting pregnant from 60 percent to 90 percent.
Becker and colleagues have found that estrogen increases the behaviors that females engage in to slow male rats down. "So, the effects of estrogen to enhance sexual motivation may underlie the effects of estrogen on drug sensitization and addiction," Becker said.
Although the evidence is strong that estrogen makes the brain of the human female more susceptible to certain forms of addiction, it is not clear whether this relates to human sexual practices and reproduction. When it comes to addiction, however, Becker warned that estrogen's effects are very rapid.
Normally, estrogen action at receptors in the hypothalamus and uterus takes hours to days to produce a behavioral or functional response, she told UPI. "This happens within seconds or minutes."
"This is important because the way we have been thinking about how estrogen and other steroid hormones act in the brain in terms of depression and other mental health problems may need to be revised as we begin to appreciate that these hormones are acting throughout the brain in ways that we haven't appreciated before," she said.
"The receptors that everyone is looking for, including me, once they are found will help us find new ways of dealing with not only drug abuse but other mental health problems such as depression, where women have a much higher incidence."
Becker warned that women -- especially younger women who may be experiencing major hormonal swings at just the same time in their lives when many of their peers are first experimenting with nicotine, cocaine and other addictive substances -- should be extremely cautious when it comes to drug use. Older women using hormone replacement therapy may also increase their vulnerability to drug addiction.
Copyright 2001 by United Press International.
All rights reserved.

Joanne Gold

22 Nov 2001, 09:44 #4

Interesting observation, John! A brain chemical, serotonin, is known to fluctuate during a females monthly cycle due to hormonal changes. Many woman (I know I was and many others have posted the same) are concerned and more cautious during their early quit and notice more of a challenge during "that time". I know it took some getting used to for me. Since this is true, you may be right - those on estrogen therapy for other hormal conditions may want to consult their physician to make sure their levels are up to par upon smoking cessation.

Here is a little excerpt from AOL's health section on PMS and its possible causes:
".....Another cause may be fluctuations of serotonin, a brain chemical that affects mood states, especially depression."
Thanks for the information. Very interesting indeed.

JoanneImage

CTinoco

17 Aug 2002, 16:33 #5

I AM VERY GRATEFUL FOR FREEDOM.....I HAVE BEEN WITHOUT A COMPUTER FOR DAYS....AND I MISSED READING AND POSTING, BUT THANK YOU GOD AND FREEDOM I AM NICOTINE FREE FOR 6 MONTHS 1WEEK AND 3 DAYS...JOEL...THANK YOU FOR THE INFORMATION YOU GIVE US .....
HUGS TO ALL,
CLAUDIA

kiki

22 Jan 2003, 23:58 #6

Thank you Joel- and the others new friends who have replied - to guide me on the right path. I just called my doctor and explained the situation and now will call my stomach doctor- who originally perscribed the medication for my reflux.Will also call my dentist for th throbbing gums. You guys are alright! Helping others to overcome this deadly habit of smoking.
Thank you
kiki

Red Orris

14 May 2003, 21:02 #7

This is very important, I am on medications,
although it doesn't seem like there is a need
for adjusting my meds, it is so important
regardless, i believe to notify your doctor
about quitting smoking.

Thanks for re-posting this!

Sincerely
Red-Orris

Red Orris

16 Jun 2003, 23:03 #8

Well, now just over a month later.

Infact my medications did need adjusting!

Just wanted to update!

Sincerely
Red-Orris
1month (s) 2week(s) 6 day(s) 11:35 hour (s) smoke-free,
1,256 cigarettes not smoked, $401.92 saved,
4day (s) 8:40 life saved

BubblyDoodlebug Gold

17 Jun 2003, 01:59 #9

Image I have had to have my meds adjusted. I found out it is very important to let your doctor know if you are being treated for not only Diabetes but other things as well that you are planning on quitting smoking that way when things do go awry the doctor will have a heads up on the situation. Don't wait to pass out on the toilet to get help either. Katherine

ChangingDeidre

10 Jul 2003, 12:51 #10

Your words are something I already know, but I still needed to be told. Image