Maybe this isn't the best time to quit?

Joel

21 Mar 2003, 08:12 #21

I thought this string fit rather well in here.
ImageRecommend ImageDelete Message 1 of 4 in Discussion
As we are now at war with Iraq a thought did cross my mind that "If we are going to get attacked by terorists I might as well have a cigarette!"
But I have decided to think of my nicotine addiction as Sadam and I will beat him.
Good luck to all of you that has family in the Gulf, hope they return safely.
Millie

England
2 weeks
ImageFirst ImagePrevious 2-4 of 4 NextImage LastImage ImageDelete Replies
ImageRecommend ImageDelete Message 2 of 4 in Discussion
I live in the Washington DC area, so you can imagine the tremendous stress we've been under from 9/11 to anthrax to the DC sniper. Now we're on "not quite red" alert here and all area folks are being asked to have an evacuation plan ready.

But... like allllllllllllllllll the posts on this board remind us... life goes on without smoking. Losing my quit will not affect world events nor will it help me cope better with everything that's going on. In fact I'm much calmer smoke-free.

And if the sirens do go off and I have to evacuate then I have much more room in my bags for essentials and I wouldn't have to spend a minute worrying about cigs.

Jill
5 Months 2 Weeks 1 Day - Despite what's happening in the rest of the world!
ImageRecommend ImageDelete Message 3 of 4 in Discussion
Let's Stay Focused on Our Odds of Staying Alive !

As I'm sure you realize, Millie, as upsetting as they can be, world affairs have absolutely nothing to do with any of us remaining nicotine free today. The junkie mind is amazing. Imagine being worred about dying in a car accident when the risk of dying 14 to 15 years early from smoking is roughly 40 times greater.

Millie all the deaths in all the wars around the world during the past decade do not come close to approaching the numbers killed by tobacco. Even in the horrors of 9/11 and the 3,000 who perished in New York, the state of New York alone lost over 30,741 lives to tobacco during 2002, who, according to the U.S. CDC, collectively lost 417,206 years of life!

One day at a time
There is no legitimate reason to relapse
"I have to smoke because of all my stress"
How would you deal with the following situations?
Bad days
Caring for our recovery
Anger - new reactions to anger as an ex-smoker

ImageRecommend ImageDelete Message 4 of 4 in Discussion
Thanks for those stats John makes you wonder why people aren't out on the streets demonstrating against tobacco and the tobacco companies huh? Image I'll join one of those demonstrations while I listen to what's going on in the world and never taking another puff Image Cathy ~ GOLD
Last edited by Joel on 24 Nov 2014, 19:31, edited 1 time in total.

Christine06516

21 Mar 2003, 10:43 #22

You know, if you think about it, if we had to wait until their was nothing going on in our lives to give up smoking, then we would all have to wait until we were dead!!! Because we use cigarettes for so many excuses - as "rewards", to celebrate, to calm our nerves, as our buddy, etc, etc, would there ever be a time when we are alive that would be the perfect time to quit? You just have to want to quit, that is all it comes down to, desire, and education, and of course all the great support from Freedom never hurt no one either.....lolol.
So, isn't while you are alive the best time ever to quit??? Hmmmm...

Christine I have chosen not to smoke for 5 Days 21 Hours 12 Minutes 30 Seconds. Cigarettes not smoked: 117. Money saved: $23.53.

Joel

30 Mar 2003, 23:14 #23

ImageI saw where we has some good examples of members quitting and staying smoke free while facing real adversity. The strength and resolve of these members should serve as an example for all that no matter what traumas life may throw at you staying free is possible as long as you always remember the commitment that you made to yourself to never take another puff! Joel

Joel

06 Apr 2003, 08:05 #24

I guess the question that a person thinking that maybe this isn't the best time to stay quit needs to as himself or herself is, "Is this the right time to relapse to a full-fledged nicotine addiction that if I am really lucky will lead to another full-blown withdrawal process one day soon, or, if I am not lucky is going to end up costing me tens of thousands of dollars, cost me my health and one day cost me my life."

If the answer to that questions is no, that today is not a good day to relapse, then remember for today that to stay smoke free is going to require a one hundred percent commitment to never take another puff!

Joel

Joanne Gold

11 Apr 2003, 14:43 #25

"Is this the right time to relapse to a full-fledged nicotine addiction that if I am really lucky will lead to another full-blown withdrawal process one day soon, or, if I am not lucky is going to end up costing me tens of thousands of dollars, cost me my health and one day cost me my life."

Joel

23 Apr 2003, 21:07 #26

This post was originally written a few days after the September 11 terrorist attacks in 2001. The message is as true today as it was that day. The closing paragraph addresses how a person can stay smoke free even when facing real tragedy... .
"The point is, even under the worst of circumstances, life goes on and smoking cessation is fully possible under any conditions. To survive smoke free and to come through such times stronger than you ever thought possible--stay focused on the fact that you have the strength, desire and resolve to prove that you will never take another puff!"

Joel

Joel

11 May 2003, 20:45 #27

The question that a person thinking that this may not be the best time to stay quit needs to as himself or herself is:

"Is this the right time to relapse to a full-fledged nicotine addiction that if I am really lucky will lead to another full-blown withdrawal process one day soon, or, if I am not lucky is going to end up costing me tens of thousands of dollars, cost me my health and one day cost me my life."

If the answer to that questions is no, that today is not a good day to relapse, then remember for today that to stay smoke free is going to require a one hundred percent commitment to never take another puff!

Joel

OBob Gold

22 May 2003, 07:30 #28

The question that a person thinking that this may not be the best time to stay quit needs to as himself or herself is:

Joel

Joel

05 Jan 2004, 11:46 #29

This string was first written around the time of the September 2001 terrorism attack in the United States. The message of this string though is applicable for all times. We have a bunch of new quitters who may find themselves thinking that some external circumstance or event will make this particular timing of a quit not seem quite right. No problem a person quitting might encounter warrants or justifies administering nicotine.

If the answer to that questions is no, that today is not a good day to relapse, then remember for today that to stay smoke free is going to require a one hundred percent commitment to

never take another puff! Joel

Joel

25 Feb 2004, 22:58 #30

From above:

This string was first written around the time of the September 2001 terrorism attack in the United States. The message of this string though is applicable for all times. We have a bunch of new quitters who may find themselves thinking that some external circumstance or event will make this particular timing of a quit not seem quite right. No problem a person quitting might encounter warrants or justifies administering nicotine.

If the answer to that questions is no, that today is not a good day to relapse, then remember for today that to stay smoke free is going to require a one hundred percent commitment to

never take another puff! Joel

I thought this would be a good one to bring up in lieu of comments being written in today's parade. Other good posts talking about how people must be aware that they can get through all of life's up and downs after quitting are "I will quit when ..." ,Life goes on without smoking and"I have to smoke because of all my stress".

I am glad to see people recognizing how while their lives can still get to be tumultuous at times after quitting that their ability to cope with life is as good as it ever was when they were smoking and likely even better. To be better able to cope with the physical and mental demands that life presents to you just always remember the importance of the commitment that you have made to yourself to never take another puff!

Joel
Last edited by Joel on 24 Nov 2014, 19:33, edited 1 time in total.