Maybe this isn't the best time to quit?

Joel

06 May 2002, 16:32 #11

For Laura and anyone else who is worried about how to overcome the next few days, for what ever reason thinking this may not be the best time to quit or the best time to stay off of smoking. This is as good a time as any not to smoke for a multitude of reasons--longer life and better health being the most important, but by no means the only benefit of not smoking.

One other note--just a few day ago I talked to the 78 year old women who had flown in for the clinic in this post that was postponed because of the September 11 tragedies. She was still doing great, it is almost eight months for her now. Everyone can make it through every thing as long as they stay focused on sticking with their goals to never take another puff!

Joel

John (Gold)

30 Aug 2002, 18:21 #12

Which excuses are you using?
We were no different!
All of us had great excuses!

If you're just arriving then the title to this thread can seem rather inviting but please notice the question mark at the end. You'd be well advised to spend a couple of minutes reflecting upon the honesty of such an assertion. Whether you just found out that you need surgery, are starting school, having serious problems with a relationship, face a challenging week, have a loved one with failing health, are encountering mounting financial problems, have some traveling coming up, are worried about your weight, you're facing important deadlines, or all of them are happening at once, there is never a better time to reclaim your life than before the very next puff of that enslaving substance called nicotine, those 44 known carcinogens, and the over 4,000+ chemicals, that are present in every burning cigarette.

We've used "life" as an excuse to damage these bodies long enough! The next few minutes can be 100% smoke and nicotine free regardless of life's circumstances. Encountering one of the habit feeding triggers fathered by your chemical dependency upon nicotine may bring a very brief anxiety type attack that we call a crave. Never longer than three minutes - - but be sure and look at a clock as your mind may try and convince you the minutes are really hours -- the anxiety of the moment would be the same regardless of what's happening in the background - life!

There may never be a better moment to start your new life than when life's challenges seem great. The clock is the same, three minutes are still three minutes, and after successfully encountering, reconditioning and breaking all your major smoking habit cues, your mind will never again fear an upcoming challenge, or be able to use the normal challenges of "life" as an excuse to fail, relapse or delay. You'll know it's just another lie!

It takes a maximum of 72 hours to reside inside of a nicotine clean body. How do you face each hour? Just a few minutes at a time and then celebrate! You've under house arrest for a long time. Isn't it time that you traded places and put your dependency upon nicotine under arrest! It's your birthright to be free and the next few minutes are doable!
Breathe deep, hug hard, live long! John

Joel

29 Sep 2002, 20:12 #13

Image For Lilac

Lilac (Bronze)

29 Sep 2002, 22:05 #14

whoa---------I am convinced. I already was convinced but a little renewal never hurts especially if the person is complaining loud and long.. My husband always told me that my persistence in pointing out to him the detrimental effects of nicotine after his heart attack finally drove him to quit. I have never completely believed him. I think I do now. Lilac

John (Gold)

26 Oct 2002, 22:58 #15

There is no better time to begin this temporary journey of adjustment called quitting than before the next puff. If this is a high period of stress in your life that makes it even better because success now will permanently deprive your mind of using stress as an excuse to relapse
Which puff on which cigarette contains the spark that gives birth to that first cancerous lung cell, that kills part or all of your heart, or that blocks bloodflow to a portion of your brain? Which puff of nicotine? Which cigarette?
Last edited by John (Gold) on 13 Sep 2010, 21:34, edited 1 time in total.

Joel

12 Dec 2002, 22:59 #16

Image For Marvin

Joel

13 Jan 2003, 06:32 #17

Image For Angela

Joel

26 Jan 2003, 07:10 #18

Image One more for TrickyKnees

Joel

04 Mar 2003, 08:10 #19

I may be around a little more this week than I thought I would be. I am supposed to start a clinic tomorrow night. There are 33 people registered to come. Actually the number of people registered to come is not the best predictor to the number of people who will actually show up. Usually we have a few more people who say they are going to come, usually about 40 or so. When the day of the clinic actually arrives--well it is anybody's guess how many people actually show up.

I have had times where if 40 register 25 will show and I also have times where if 40 register 50 will show. There are even times when 40 register and 40 show but it is often a different 40 people than we think, meaning 10-15 people who said they were going to come do not show up and pretty much the exact same number of people walk in. As I said, what normally happens is anybody's guess.

But I just heard the weather forecast for tomorrow afternoon and evening and they are predicting a possible four to eight inches of snow. The last time this happened on an opening day of a clinic in disseminated the numbers. If it happens the second or third day of the clinic things are usually salvageable for people already have the core information they need, have already started the quit and often stick with the quit even if they miss the specific session. But when inclement conditions occur on the first day it can be ominous.

So I may be around a little more this week than I thought, or if the weather works to the clinic's favor, meaning the snow holds off till the second day of the clinic I am going to be doing a lot of one on one telephone mini-lectures and not around Freedom a whole lot. Just for the record, when I am doing clinics I often do not get time to read the whole board. If people want me to address certain issues drop me an email at [url=mailto:quitsmoking@joelspitzer.com]quitsmoking@joelspitzer.com[/url] and let me know that there is an issue at the board you would like me to address. I'll be sure to catch the post then.

Hope everyone has a healthy and safe week. Just know that every week will be healthier and safer than it would be if you were still a smoker and will stay that way as long as you always remember to never take another puff!

Joel

Joel

12 Mar 2003, 05:15 #20

For CF and anyone else who is worried about how to overcome the thoughts for a cigarette they are having today and for what ever reason thinking this may not be the best time to stay off of smoking. This is as good a time as any not to smoke for a multitude of reasons--longer life and better health being the most important, but by no means the only benefit of not smoking.

I guess the question that a person thinking that maybe this isn't the best time to stay quit needs to as himself or herself is, "Is this the right time to relapse to a full-fledged nicotine addiction that if I am really lucky will lead to another full-blown withdrawal process one day soon, or, if I am not lucky is going to end up costing me tens of thousands of dollars, cost me my health and one day cost me my life."

If the answer to that questions is no, that today is not a good day to relapse, then remember for today that to stay smoke free is going to require a one hundred percent commitment to never take another puff!

Joel