massive panic attack and tremendous urges

CharmedDancer86
CharmedDancer86

October 5th, 2004, 6:57 pm #1

I went to bed very angry due to problems with our business...and my belief that if my husband had listened to me AT ALL...we wouldn't be in this situation. So then I had nightmares about the situation and woke up in a full fledge panic attack.

Since then I have done everything I know how to do to keep my panic under control (topic for another board)...but for the first time in weeks I am actively craving a cigarette. And not just one craving...they keep coming in waves. I work my way through one crave and say "Whew, it's over"...then the next one hits. What gives here? No, I'm not in danger of losing my quit...just my mind...

Kerri

Four months, two weeks, six days, 5 hours, 57 minutes and 32 seconds. 4297 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,074.36. Life saved: 2 weeks, 22 hours, 5 minutes.

Toast (GOLD )
Toast (GOLD )

October 5th, 2004, 7:36 pm #2

Hi Kerri,

I know of what you speak, being a previously diagnosed anxiety person. The key here is to notice and remember that the anxiety and the craves are really two separate things. The anxiety is sending you looking for ANY relief and smoking was one of our key self-medicating activities. One thing that is true of both anxiety attacks and cravings to smoke is that both will pass whether you do anything about them or not. You can learn to break the cycle of anxiety thinking the same way we learn to break the cycle of "craving" to smoke - both are similiar in their loopy, closed-circuit thinking that excludes evidence of not being that way. The best information I came across that addressed both these sensations for me was: Just because you think it or feel it does not make it true. Just because you feel anxious about this business deal does not mean it's the end of the world. You can find a more wholesome perspective on the situation.

Hug your quit tight!

Melissa
40 months

kattatonic1 gold4
kattatonic1 gold4

October 5th, 2004, 7:55 pm #3

Hi Kerri,

I'm in a hurry but I wanted to send you some threads that helped me in stressful times:
I have to smoke because of all my stress
Fixating on a cigarette.

Also, everything I could find about triggers and anger in:
Topic Index of Highlight Posts

You are doing a marvelous job! It is not easy to beat this addiction and it takes time. It is simple as you know though, NTAP. Know that you are doing it. As you deal with your business situation, the waves of triggers will fade also. I think I used smoking as a diversion many, many times when I smoked. Smoking will not change anything except making your addiction active again... double your problems! Hang in there and let us know how you are doing. Very smart of you to post instead of smoke!

~ Kay ~
Celebrating 9 months + of Freedom~!

hunteritaly
hunteritaly

October 5th, 2004, 8:06 pm #4

Hi Kerri,
here's the right link for you:

http://whyquit.com/whyquit/Links_CravesAndStress.html

You always see it at Whyquit homepage, but who knows? Maybe you never had the time to read it... if in the case, just take a look ASAP.

Good luck, and NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!

Pietro ;-)

GoldWolf jmv
GoldWolf jmv

October 5th, 2004, 8:45 pm #5

Hello Kerri,

I am sorry to hear that your having such a tough time right now. I know that I don't fully understand exactly what brought on this panic attact, but I can tell you that Melissa is right....the panic attack is seperate from the craves and cigarettes used to be the medication for them. Let me assure you that I understand when you say that your quit is NOT under any threat!!!! I just wanted to remind you that no matter what happens, things always have a way of working themselves out!!!! What are going thru is just temperary and will diminish. Take a deep breath, do some reading, and make the best out of a bad situation!!!! I know that you can do this!!! You have come far in your quit and just a couple of weeks shy of 5 months Free!!! You are obviously a very strong person to be able to accomplish that!!!! Hang in there Kerri, I know that you will be just fine!!! Just tell those craves that you have enought other things to deal with right now and to take a flying leap!!!!

Hug that quit Tight Kerri, you will be Silver before you know it!!!

Jason
Free and Healing for Six Months, Nineteen Days and 13 Hours, while extending my life expectancy 14 Days and 1 Hour, by avoiding the use of 4051 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $919.07.

Liuchka
Liuchka

October 5th, 2004, 11:05 pm #6

Hello Kerri. I have long been an anxious person, especially when I used to smoke.
You know smoking won't solve your problems, you are an educated quitter!!
Here's what worked for me in similar situations:
GO BACK TO THE BASICS: Focus on getting by this day, this hour. Keep in mind our NTAP mantra/decision.
Hang in there, this too shall pass.
Cuca - Free and Healing for One Year, Seventeen Days, 10 Hours and 1 Minute, while extending my life expectancy 39 Days and 20 Hours, by avoiding the use of 11473 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $2,185.26.

Ouija7
Ouija7

October 5th, 2004, 11:39 pm #7

Hi Kerri,

At around month 5 or 6 into my quit I was riding high and feeling good. Then it happen. The unexpected. Tragedy struck! I'm not going to get into my personal business, but I moved out of state for a couple of months. During that time I was hit with all sorts of triggers. Thankfully, I was prepared for them. If there is any negative aspect of the comfort an exsmoker gains when off cigarettes for months at a time it is this... The fact that hidden triggers still lurk out there that we are unaware of but if smart can be prepared for. Some of the more unexpected ones hit in moments of bliss and celebration! So be ready. The same crave coping skills used early on are still effective today!

Something I wrote a little while ago to another member...

"One more thing Barrieg1. Do you have a good Crave coping tip? Deep Breathing helped me tremedously. Heck it even felt like smoking. I'd draw in fresh air just like I used to draw in the smoke. The cool air even tickled that itch, hit the spot, or what ever you want to call it. And the long deep breathes calmed me down and kept me from wanting to smoke."

I don't know if Deep Breathing can help with the Panic Attacks but I doubt it will hurt. Hope this helps---- Tony

Ouija7- 11 months Free from the grip of my addiction but always one puff away from doom!

Joannetta
Joannetta

October 6th, 2004, 10:54 am #8

Here's a big cheer for you Kerri in getting through a tough patch with anxiety and craves. You are a rock to hold up and keep your quit about you. That's what it is all about and you do Freedom proud.

Cheers, Joanne now at bronze!

CharmedDancer86
CharmedDancer86

October 6th, 2004, 1:11 pm #9

Thank you everyone for your words of support. I am doing slightly better today. My mood is still low and yes I've had a couple of craves, but nothing overwhelming. I know that I used to use nicotine as a drug to deal with stressful situations and I'm sure that's why my panic attack triggered such as strong urge. I also hid behind my infamous cloud of smoke when I was trying to avoid reality.

I can honestly say that not only my cravings and urges have lessened greatly over the past 4 1/2 months...but so have my panic attacks...so there probably is a correlation...although I know my primary panic stems from an issue that is for another forum...but I am slowly doing better...and by dealing with one issue at a time...I'll eventually get there.

Thanks again...I'll be here in less than two weeks to celebrate my 5 months...and in the meantime I'll keep reading.

~Kerri