Last Line of Defense (or Trump Card)

Subconscious use cue extinguishment

August 25th, 2006, 9:42 pm #76

Now that was just perfect. I loved reading this. You made me smile and gave me a lift. I sure aint gonna smoke today :)

September 3rd, 2006, 11:57 pm #77

Here's one of my old favorites and certainly helped in my time of need! Two thumbs up for OBob's Trump Card.

September 18th, 2006, 12:22 pm #78

This is such a classic - I printed this off the first time I read it and I always have it with me when I travel. Don't need it so much now but I still carry it around because it makes me smile and it proves again - this is a choice - we made it, we live it, nothing can take it from us as long as we NTAP.

Susan - free and happy about it since Jan 02 06

October 3rd, 2006, 3:13 am #79

This is what's on my 'Trump Card'
  1. Smoking is a crime Punishable by Death (Smoking: a crime punishable by death)
  2. Don't lie to yourself anymore - Never Take Another Puff
  3. Hear the 'Real Me' Voice
  4. Breathe better - no more wheezing, constant coughing , throat clearing. Is COPD far away?
  5. Smell Great, WHite SMile, Smooth Face.
  6. 2,920,000 inhales is ENOUGH!
What's on yours?
Last edited by JoeJFree Gold on November 22nd, 2009, 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 29th, 2006, 11:59 pm #80

I haven't seen this one for awhile - thought I'd just pop it up in case there's anyone new who hasn't seen it yet .

Have a great smoke- free day everybody,

Susan - free and happy since Jan 02 06

February 1st, 2007, 7:09 am #81

No nicotine today, one day at a time.

April 25th, 2007, 4:25 am #82

Hey Kat,

Bob refers to ( I Believe) a 'Critical List' of Quit reasons that can be kept in your wallet or change purse to be referenced and read if you ever have an overwhelming illogical urge to obtain a tobacco cigarette or other such device and readminister nicotine into your now clean body. Post #124 above shows what's on mine. It's part of the Free Relapse Insurance policy I took out in the first days of my recovery.

Use the 'First' or 'Previous' controls to browse these entire two strings. I think you will find your answer. Have a look at the Advice 4 Newbies message board when you have a bit of time to read. Lots of really good stuff there.

JoeJ Free - Goldx2.25

April 27th, 2007, 7:54 pm #83

Ah, ok. That is what I had gathered. Thank you for explaining it, Joe...and so eloquently, too! =D

January 3rd, 2008, 7:35 am #84

This was a useful tool for those early days oh so long ago. It shows timeless wisdom.

, Sam (5+years)

March 18th, 2008, 12:08 am #85

Loved this. I pulled out a Trump card yesterday too.

The day started with urges and it didn't stop. I came to the conclusion that I was just not going to have a good day. It was just going to be that way, but it didn't mean I could go to the store and become a nictine addict again. It just meant that for whatever reason, yesterday was going to be a hard day.

I am continuing to take one day at a time and following just one rule. NTAP!

May 16th, 2008, 1:34 am #86

Good one O'Bob, thanks.
And thanks to Sue Mason for the link to this post. For all us whiners and "drama queens" pining and tantrumming away... this is all we need to hear.

Ilona
(double green today)

July 10th, 2008, 2:55 pm #87

Belated (very) response to this (haven't looked at this thread in a while):

While my "critical list" of quit reasons was extremely important to me in my quit, and something to which I often referred during the earlier days of my quit. "One = All; Why choose none?" was a constant question I asked myself, with the response including (but not limited to) the list I originally posted.

However, the "trump card" is simpler than that. It's quite simply: "I am not going to smoke today." Period. End of sentence.

I own my hands, my mouth and my wallet. No matter how miserable I may feel, nothing can make me smoke except me, and I'm not going to do it today.. I don't have to be happy about it. I just have to say it and commit to it, and accept that while today might be rough, it's only one day, and that's all I have to tackle for now.

So often, reasoning with myself, using the coping mechanisms taught here at Freedom and having the support of such a great group of quitters helped make the ride feel easier. It's tempting to get lulled into a sense of "all this stuff makes it easier to quit," and then on a day when it's not easy to feel like the rug's been yanked out from under you. Sometimes no matter how well I employed the things I was taught here, nothing made it feel easier. It was at those times that realized I had to pull out the card, and simply be defiant. "I WILL NOT SMOKE" That's the card. That's all I had to do. Nothing more. And, when I did that, I got to wake up the next day as a non-smoker.

Bob (6.5 years free)
Last edited by OBob Gold on November 22nd, 2009, 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 17th, 2008, 10:23 pm #88

OBob - I can't tell you how important your posts have been to my quitting. I am new at this, "only" a little over three weeks, and smoked for way over 45 years. I credit my success this far to WhyQuit, and especially you, Joel and John. I can't seem to read enough by any of you. This thread has helped me immensely. Sometimes it's hard to remember that we had "bad" days before we quit smoking. And easy to forget the improvements in our lives that we are already experiencing. The triggers that "oldbies" are still facing are disheartening, but still good to know about. We can't let our guard down. This will get better and better, but is never completely over. Just take things one day (or one minute!) at a time is the only way to freedom. I do get tired of the fight, but have used your Trump Card when I have to.

Thanks so much for giving us newbies hope. Connie

July 18th, 2008, 1:01 am #89

Connie,
Don't be disheartened by the triggers that even the oldbies get. There are two things I think whenever I get a trigger.
First when I recognize it as a trigger I simply tell myself "well I don't do that any more". Then I take a deep breath and usually find a smile coming over my face. That pattern helps me reprogram my brain so I don't encounter that trigger again.
Secondly I'm getting fewer and fewer of them every day. I've gone days without one, without a single thought about smoking and I'm still what most would consider a newbie. I had my first day like that when I was bronze. Some people have them before that date and some later (each quit is different) but you'll have one and sooner than you think. Here are a couple of good links on triggers from Joel and John.
Triggers - What are they?
Triggers - Breaking links to our crave generator
I'm actually happy to get a trigger now. The sooner I encounter them the sooner I can relegate them to the same trash bin where I put all my smoking paraphernalia.
NTAP rules, YQB,
Pat (FREE NOW Six months, two weeks, two days, 11 hours, 0 minutes.
5953 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,190.50.
Life saved: 2 weeks, 6 days, 16 hours, 5 minutes, absolutely PRICELESS)
Last edited by Doc460704 on November 22nd, 2009, 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 18th, 2008, 2:10 am #90

Another thing to remember, Connie, when you hear about people who have been quit longer than you still ocassionally facing triggers, is that, as a rule, those triggers get fewer and further between as a quit matures. This is particularly so when a quitter, as Pat has suggested, confronts that trigger and reconfirms their commitment to remaining smoke-free in spite of it.
After only a few months, there begin to be times when quitters will go for an entire day, and not remember to think about smoking. Consider that, while a trigger that hits you from out of the blue after days, weeks or even months of consistant comfort may feel pretty uncomfortable, that momentary discomfort generally represents only a tiny fraction of the quitters overall comfort level. A quitter may be feeling comfortable and content with their quit 99% of the time at this stage, with only that 1% remaining as a slowly shrinking nusance with which to deal from time to time.
Here are a couple of relevant threads:
Are crave episodes "really" only 3 minutes?
Tell a newbie how many seconds a day you still want a cigarette
And here's one I always look back on relating to my own quit. The episode in this post was the last time I've ever been seriously challenged by a trigger. I made the decision to get through that moment then. Had I not, I never would have known how smooth the road ahead would become, and would have brought down untold misery on myself instead of the lovely long-term quit I enjoy so far down the road today.

New Perspectives at 6 months
(as a bonus, the friend I reference in this thread finally quit cold turkey a little over a year ago.)

Bob (6+ years free)
Last edited by OBob Gold on November 22nd, 2009, 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 18th, 2008, 8:09 am #91

OBob, you are truly gifted in being able write your perspectives on these subjects. You really have a way of looking at a situation, taking it apart, and then writing about it so that all can understand and learn. I'm sure that you have helped many, many of us newbies and lurkers. I am actually doing pretty well with this quitting business, in no small part due to posts such as yours. I am spending a lot of time reading, reading, but my husband has so far encouraged me to do so and not complained. I know now that smoking was such a big part of my life, and it will take some time to handle all these darn triggers and be comfortable. For me, the education has been the key. I really feel I can do this this time.

Our daughter is a drug abuse counselor, living and working several states away, and has tried everything to get me to quit cigarettes. I finally told her on the phone just a week ago that I have quit - after more than two weeks. Guess I wanted to believe it myself first. Of course, her first comment was "Why", then "How?" I did give all the credit to WhyQuit. Hope she can use it in her programs and help many more to obtain Freedom!

Thank you so much for your great posts. WOW - 6+ yrs. free! You are a super inspiration!

Connie

July 21st, 2008, 6:03 am #92

Thanks Bob...

Man, I've been experiencing some convincing craves. These craves tell me:
"You have plenty of time to quit - you're so young."
"This is your first time back home for almost a year...you should quit after you've gone back west."
"Your sister just got arrested (and she did this morning) - you can smoke a simple cigarette."
"Wouldn't it be wonderful to sit outside a coffee shop and chat with someone over a cup of coffee and a cigarette???"

But, I know that I don't want TO BE A SMOKER. Yes, I want to smoke RIGHT NOW but I don't want to BE A SMOKER. I like what you said about having the trump card and that my addict mind doesn't control my wallet, hands or mouth. That's quite true.

But i am on the verge of relapse...been this way for three days. It was SOOO much easier the last time.

Amanda

July 21st, 2008, 7:38 am #93

I feel your pain Amanda, Hang in there. This will be over soon enough.

January 2nd, 2009, 10:24 pm #94

Are crave episodes "really" only 3 minutes?

Tell a newbie how many seconds a day you still want a cigarette
Last edited by johnnynonic on November 22nd, 2009, 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 22nd, 2009, 4:47 pm #95

"I'm not going to smoke today!"